Time Maschine-Going back-Would you?

swissie

I think I'd be a bit suspicious.  I'd want to know about passenger and goods insurance.

I'd want to know about dimensions other than time, and how changes in kinetic energy would be handled; with the Earth spinning on its axis, rotating round the Sun, the turning of the Milky Way and the expansion of the Universe, I'm not entirely sure I'd like to go back to where the Earth was, 20 years ago,  Coronation Street might be pretty much the same, but celestial kinetics has taken us far from where we used to be

SC

I moved to Thailand when I was 33. If I could go back in time, I would get a degree in teaching English and come over as soon as I was through. I would not have needed it back then, but as I got older and things changed, it would come in handy. 

I would do it in a heartbeat, except that I would be terrified of not having the same people in my life today by making different choices earlier.

What I would change would be almost everything I did in my 20's and a few choices that I made in my teens.

Obviously investing would be a lot easier :smile:

Edited by canuckamuck

I would go back in a flash if I had the same knowledge that I have now at 55 & I'm not talking about safe bets on the grand national, I'm talking about personal growth, if I was going back with the same head space that I had then, no I wouldn't. I survived it once without anything too bad happening, no guarantees I'd make it a second time around.... 

Yes, if armed with the knowledge of my experiences.

I wouldn't be so gung ho and dismissive of medical issues and would take the various  medications and life style choices that would have prevented the deterioration I now suffer.

Oh, and I would be incredibly rich as I would know which stocks and property to buy.

I did go abroad frequently.  It was the best thing I did in my youth.

i would spend more time with my kids and shag more often with more women.  I would buy as many shares of Apple and Amazon as I could get money to buy.

Edited by chilli42

13 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

I think I'd be a bit suspicious.  I'd want to know about passenger and goods insurance.

I'd want to know about dimensions other than time, and how changes in kinetic energy would be handled; with the Earth spinning on its axis, rotating round the Sun, the turning of the Milky Way and the expansion of the Universe, I'm not entirely sure I'd like to go back to where the Earth was, 20 years ago,  Coronation Street might be pretty much the same, but celestial kinetics has taken us far from where we used to be

SC

And that's not all! Firstly, the arrow of time is the only one accepted by mainstream scientists and that only goes forward. (There are other theories of time having two or more dimensions itself). The other point is that to revisit a past point that point has to 'saved' so that it still exists, that is, there has to be a 'place' where the past, every single moment of it, is kept. If the past does not exist anymore then one couldn't travel back to it. If the past does still exist in some form then going back and changing the minutest detail would start a whole different time/world line and the question would then arise; does the 'future point' one came from still exist or is it 'canceled'? Everyone would be affected including those who feel quite comfortable with their present. Of course, QM speaking it's all probabilities and there might be an infinite number of time/world lines to choose/make. And these are just the simple points, Ha!

20 years not long enough, I'd want to go to the late 70s.

I'd invest in Google, Apple and Microsoft as soon as the share offering was available.

If I could only go to 1997,  I would just not bother and reflect on some lyrics:

Regrets, I've had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course;
Each careful step along the byway,
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt,
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall;
And did it my way.

:violin:

I myself would only want to go back, if I was allowed to take my accumulated wisdom with me while going back. (Aquired during a lifetime). Otherwise, I probably would not want to go back, fearing that I would make the same mistakes again. Especially during my 20ties.
But then: What is a mistake? A brilliant idea that hasn't worked out. As opposed to abrilliant idea that has worked out.
The nasty thing about "brilliant-ideas" is, that only the future will tell wether a "brilliant-idea" will turn out as such or turn into "a Mistake".
So again, without the (by now) accumulated wisdom, hoping this would (beforehand) enable me to better differentiate between an Idea/Decision likely to be "right" instead of turning into a "Mistake", no I don't think I would want to go back.

Another concern: If this "time maschine" should be in connection with a Low-Cost-Air-Carrier, wouldn't do me much good. My accumulated wisdom weights more than their allowed 20 Kg per passenger.:sad:
Cheers.  

2 hours ago, Ruffian Dick said:

Would I "go aboard"? Yes, I would become an English teacher in Switzerland! :laugh:

Not a bad idea. Classic English, close to "Queen's - English" in combination with the ability to merge Classic-English with American-English" , the world is your oyster. Good salary assured.

To live in Switzerland is expensive? Yes, as a Tourist. But for a resident (knowing his way around), the ratio between salary/ cost of living is still very attractive.

Cheers.  

13 hours ago, i claudius said:

Yes i would go back.and not change a thing its been a blast and would be great to do it all over again

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Wow! Not one mistake?

Amazing!

Back to the song then, without the "regrets" line.

You must keep a low profile for someone so successful.

Cocktail party on the yacht anytime soon? Just let us know...

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

3 hours ago, swissie said:

I myself would only want to go back, if I was allowed to take my accumulated wisdom with me while going back. (Aquired during a lifetime). Otherwise, I probably would not want to go back, fearing that I would make the same mistakes again. Especially during my 20ties.
But then: What is a mistake? A brilliant idea that hasn't worked out. As opposed to abrilliant idea that has worked out.
The nasty thing about "brilliant-ideas" is, that only the future will tell wether a "brilliant-idea" will turn out as such or turn into "a Mistake".
So again, without the (by now) accumulated wisdom, hoping this would (beforehand) enable me to better differentiate between an Idea/Decision likely to be "right" instead of turning into a "Mistake", no I don't think I would want to go back.

Another concern: If this "time maschine" should be in connection with a Low-Cost-Air-Carrier, wouldn't do me much good. My accumulated wisdom weights more than their allowed 20 Kg per passenger.:sad:
Cheers.  

Ryanair... You get to chose between knowledge, memory or wisdom.

What would you take?

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback