"Sack 'em all" - market traders want action after tourists keep falling down Pattaya hole.

rooster59

"Sack 'em all" - market traders want action after tourists keep falling down Pattaya hole.

20294168_1608083695879225_4751950619585430491_n.jpg

Image: Sophon Cable TV

Traders at a prominent market in Central Pattaya called in Sophon Cable TV to get some action after tourists kept falling down and injuring themselves in a large sidewalk hole.

The nasty obstruction - described as a meter wide and deep - was caused by a burst pipe below.

Pakachat Surin, the owner of Popeye at Torung Mae Wilai market, said she reported the hole to the authorities before new year. Since then many tourists and locals have been hurt falling in.

Now seven or eight months later no one has been able or seemingly willing to fix it.

So she decided to give Sophon a try especially as they have been championing some causes lately like cleaning up the black sludge that passes for the sea.

Sophon appealed for the waterworks authority to get their collective fingers out and repair the hole and the underlying problem.

But the first poster on the news site's Facebook page was in no doubt what should happen.

Somboon Sitsingchai said simply: "Sack the lot of them".

Source: Sophon Cable TV

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-30

Seems like Sophon Cable is doing some good work in the public interest (re: beaches, demolition debris and now this) and using media to hold those responsible to account. 

That being said, won't be surprised if their broadcast license is revoked in the near future. 

24 minutes ago, docshock13 said:

Seems like Sophon Cable is doing some good work in the public interest (re: beaches, demolition debris and now this) and using media to hold those responsible to account. 

That being said, won't be surprised if their broadcast license is revoked in the near future. 

Yes you could well be right there .. The truth can be uncomfortable .. One of the short comings of democracy that .. You can't shut the media up if they say bad things ..

City should step in. Determine who is the water pipe owner and ask them to repair the sidewalk since their water caused the problem. If no one is the owner, cut the pipe, the owner show soon. Water supply is not turned on until sufficient funds are paid to City to properly repair the sidewalk.

Again, no leadership or accountability from City management.

2 hours ago, harada said:

Perhaps if the shop didn't encroach on the footpath people could walk around the hole.

Yes I see the problem, Someone stuck a table of fruit in the middle of the sidewalk, forcing people to walk in the hole. Should be pretty easy to fix. Move the freakin fruit stand.

2 hours ago, harada said:

Perhaps if the shop didn't encroach on the footpath people could walk around the hole.

amazing the level of encroachment here; people here do not even Consider it somehow inappropriate; in my old city, one could not even walk down the sidewalk; had to walk in the street due to shops' encroachment

don't suppose he noticed the pile of rubble he's standing on pointing at the hole lol

Apart from blocking of the sidewalk as many have pointed out this all boils down again to money, to complete this job properly would have cost quite a lot more so it was just left half finished, so what is to blame, well it comes down to accountability and lack of standards or enforcement of standards, how to fix it - allow people to sue those responsible, make it more expensive not to finish the job properly.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

l it comes down to accountability and lack of standards or enforcement of standards, how to fix it - allow people to sue those responsible, make it more expensive not to finish the job properly.

Totally agree, Mr Smedly.  There are lots of half-finished jobs around Pattaya that are eye-sores and dangerous.  If victims were able to sue those responsible for dereliction of duty (it works with ex-PMs) maybe we would see an improvement in Pattaya's (Thailand's) image.  Sukhumvit road is a classic case: despite the odd Russian being killed regularly near The Ambassador, huge stretches of lighting are semi-permanently out - as far as Bang Saray.  Add in the number of bikers with no (rear) lights and we are looking at a tragedy waiting to happen.

not to mention soi Siam CC, what a mess that is, there should be an investigation into that whole thing from start to current debacle, how the contract was tendered - who won it and why, then right now employ a reputable National contractor that is actually capable of completing the job, and the Bali marina - another fine example of - oh my uncle can do that job no problem ha ha............................what about the beach............the list is endless

Some years back, when we lived in Bangkok, a couple of similar holes appeared in the local market's sidewalk. Think it was after the rainy season. Very hard to avoid with so many people passing and there were a few accidents. Stall owners got fed up with city doing nothing, and patched the sidewalk themselves. Next time the market was held (twice weekly), some deemed "responsible" were served with fines for tampering with city property or something.

Last time I was in Patong, Phuket with the family, I become so frustrated at the condition of the footpaths, and trying to push a stroller along with a sleeping 3 year old, I advised my wife that this was the last time I we would spending any money in Patong, Phuket.

10 years and the same narrow footpaths with there holes waiting to snap someones's angle/leg, fire hydrants in the middle of the narrow footpaths and zero facilities at the corner of footpaths to push a stroller, let alone a wheelchair.

Where is all that money that everyone has been making in this place, well its certainly not going back into the infrastructure that is needed, i.e. wider footpaths.

Absolutely disgusted, oh well, will be new destinations, like Ko Lanta, Ao Nang, because the further south, the better it is, might even venture up to Chang Mai

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

amazing the level of encroachment here; people here do not even Consider it somehow inappropriate; in my old city, one could not even walk down the sidewalk; had to walk in the street due to shops' encroachment

I remember walking to work past a bank. The bank staff and monks were on the pavement doing the merit thing. They were taking up the whole pavement (you know, monks are special and all) and people had to walk out into road to go round them.

I mentioned that people being forced to walk out onto the road was dangerous. No one looked at me. No one cared. 

11 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Just imagine if the " where there's blame there's a claim " litigation industry took root here ..

.:partytime2:

So here we go:

Council for the plaintiff requests the defendant be called to the stand: "The hole is yours?"

Defendant: "Yes" 

Council for plaintiff: "You are aware that hole is yet to be filled in?"

Council for Plaintiff: ".. and you have not set up any barrier, or installed a danger sign. Is this so?"

Magistrate: "You may sit down" gesturing to the defendant to leave the witness stand.

Magistrate to the defence council: "Does your client have anything more to say?"

Defence council stands up: ... silence.

Magistrate: ... "Well?"

Defence council: " ไม่เป็นไร " (Transliteration - "Mai penrai" ) meaning "Never mind."

Magistrate: ... "Very well, you may be seated" .. 

The magistrate is making notes, and then looks to the plaintiff.

Magistrate: "You heard the defendant's case? Have you anything to add?"

Council for Plaintiff: ... "Nothing to add."

Silence as the magistrate is making notes.

Magistrate: ... Coughs .. "I find there is no case to answer. Case dismissed. The Plaintiff will pay the costs of the court."

Council for defence stands up: ... "Thank you your Worship , my client now wishes to sue for defamation of character ".  

:clap2:

You bloody farang,s do not understand "thainess".....the hole has been left in this condition as the monks from the nearby temple have declared it a "spirit house" and it should be left untouched...........:thumbsup: