Pattaya's 'dolphin roundabout' to be renovated, rumours of new Jomtien Beach Rd parking restrictions

Jonathan Fairfield

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The best way to keep traffic moving would be to make a better/improved roundabout.

A traffic light intersection will create a massive backup and jam.

It sounds good on paper, but how will you teach Thai drivers the roundabout rules? An impossible task

50 minutes ago, hobobo said:

It sounds good on paper, but how will you teach Thai drivers the roundabout rules? An impossible task

Public service ad on tellie - perhaps on one or more soaps?

"How to use a roundabout"

Possibly a bit of input from a traffic engineer? Even a ferlung?

Oh, I see the problem already.

Edited by DekDaeng

A roundabout needs a "diameter" according to the traffic situation. If the roundabout is too small, it will never work.
This can be simulated with a computer program which could even be done by Thai software engineers.
It is completely useless to spend money on a the actual roundabout if it will not work later.

Its a shame that due totally to
inconsiderate and ignorant drivers roundabouts dont work very well here....this longstanding Dolphin roundabout is always blocked
Not helped by also blocking one exit.
The "experimental" roundabout on Soi Wat Boon in Jomtien
seemed to me to work rather well but now replaced with traffic lights and with traffic lights come the queues.

Putting lights there was announced back in 2013 and greeted with the usual racist comments and sneers. Nothing new here as usual.

And I noted at the time that it's a good idea and it still is. All considered, what with Terminal 21 coming, it's the only way.

Having a traffic light is a good idea, all considered. Glad they're considering it and hope they try it.

There'll be a backup at peak hours, but there's a backup now anyway. Traffic has vastly increased on Naklua Rd and also on Pattaya Nua esp on weekends. You can't deal with modern-day Pattaya traffic jams, you don't belong here.

It's become too dangerous to have a circle, or a short detour and U-turn as at present. Saw a set of chalk marks there just yesterday, one of countless over the years. What a mess.

It's just the usual troll hot air to suggest lights are useless in Pattaya because some Thais jump lights. The majority don't, usually, and comparatively few accidents result from the practice.

59 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Will they increase the number of ambulances as well?
Will be needed knowing how Thai drivers respect the red lights at a crossing.

Have you seen any stationed at Klang/3rd Rd. and all the others?

Cut the crap.

33 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I tested it in Europe.  I was able to manage things much better by just going and maneuvering.  Those that come to complete stops on the thing seem to create the issues.

I've been at several roundabouts in Europe that could use a light instead.  Massive traffic jams.  Others, where there's not much traffic, work fantastic.

A roundabout needs a "diameter" according to the traffic situation. If the roundabout is too small, it will never work.
This can be simulated with a computer program which could even be done by Thai software engineers.
It is completely useless to spend money on a the actual roundabout if it will not work later.

With the building of C21 it would be a good opportunity to redesign the whole intersection and surrounding area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, johng said:

Its a shame that due totally to
inconsiderate and ignorant drivers roundabouts dont work very well here....this longstanding Dolphin roundabout is always blocked
Not helped by also blocking one exit.
The "experimental" roundabout on Soi Wat Boon in Jomtien
seemed to me to work rather well but now replaced with traffic lights and with traffic lights come the queues.

Yes, I think the roundabout at Wat Boon worked well, too.  Now there is often a long wait at the traffic light. With the roundabout you sometimes had to wait briefly for a car or two but yo got thru the intersection much faster than you do now with the light--which doesn't seem to be timed very well.

None of the traffic lights seem to be "well timed"

they seem to either be manually ( BiB ) controlled or an a set timer.

I guess none are "smart" that can tell if a vehicle is waiting at a junction and give priority over the lane with less or no traffic at that given moment...I remember reading that Pattaya was to have a "smart" traffic light system installed...but did it ever happened or did it break after a few weeks ?

Anyway we try to make suggestions the place is still going to be a huge ClusterF.  The worst intersection by far I bet in Pats Terminal 21 will be a huge success and packed.

It will also just increase traffic on other streets all  the way to 3rd rd. as people, taxis, etc. try to bypass it.

Good luck to cars coming from Wongamat especially if it is a lighted intersection no longer a continuation. It is going to affect that entire roadway, businesses, etc.

I am very excited to see it open and am certainly glad I have a motorbike. 

Edited by bkk6060

10 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I used the ped crossing a year ago outside city hall on North Pattaya road.  Almost got run over by a minivan.  Ran right through the red light, horn honking at me to get out of the say.

He was suffering a break failure and was trying to warn you :)

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:19 AM, champers said:

There is already a controlled crossing at the bottom of Naklua Road and it is generally successful, probably because it is in sight of the police box. One on Nua and 2nd Road would be handy. Sometimes a traffic cop stops the traffic on 2nd Road, c/w full whistle and arm waving, so people can cross. 

LOL. The pedestrian crossing lights right beside the main police station on Beach Rd don't work.

On 8/3/2017 at 0:02 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

well if you don't know maybe you are one of those that causes the problems at the roundabout.

poorly constructed, I was making a statement, not asking a question.