Car insurance renewal: dashcam discount hassle

bluesofa

I posted a small part of this in a previous thread about insurance premiums generally. I’ve now added an update too:

A few months ago, the Office of the Insurance Commission said that dashcam discounts were not an option, and stressed all insurance companies must give motorists discounts of 5-10% on auto insurance premiums for all vehicles equipped with dashcam or be fined.

My wife had a phone call from Tisco, who financed the loan for her car. They wanted to ensure the car insurance renewal would be paid, so were chasing it on behalf of her car insurance company. I got her to call Tisco back and ask for the dashcam discount, as they had no knowledge we had a dashcam. Initially they said they'd get an agent to come round and photograph it. Great!

Then they changed their minds and said the "promotion" had now ended. Yeah, sure.

I got my wife to phone the insurance company directly. They told her of course she could have the dashcam discount, and Tisco probably lied to avoid losing any of their commission for chasing the renewal.

She was told she just needed to contact the local agent to organise it. My wife called the agent, who told her to bring the car in when she renewed the policy, and they’d take a photo of the dashcam, no problem.

Now being a rather distrusting guy – only through previous bitter experience – I said we would go into the agent’s office a few weeks early, just to ensure they upheld their offer.

Today we did just that. I sat outside in the car while my wife went in to sort it all out.

She came out after ten minutes to tell me they said they couldn’t give the discount as the paperwork had now been issued, and it was too late to change it.

We went into the office together and they repeated the same story to me. I said that my wife had been told by that same office she could have the discount, and there was no mention of a time limit we had to adhere to. Then I explained we had come three weeks early, so we could look for another insurance company if they reneged on the discount.

That worked really well, the girl behind the desk didn’t even have to query it with anyone else, but said she would give us the discount of 600 Baht (5%).

It’s not just the 600 Baht, but also the principle. Why did I have to put up such a fight for something that is legally enforceable?

In case anyone has similar problems, you can contact the Office of the Insurance Commission on 1186, or www.oic.or.th

When my wife called them, they gave her the phone number of their local office near us, who in turn confirmed the discount was legally binding, and if she had any problems to contact them with the details.

13 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

Thank you for that information. I have copied the details of the office to contact if need be.

I hope it can help. As I said in my post, it is so often that you need to push to get what is rightfully yours.

23 minutes ago, Grusa said:

If they go to such lengths to avoid losing ฿600, how much effort will they put into not coughing up when you have a claim? Get a new agent/insurance company!

As " Blue Sofa " has pointed out he was dealing with the commission agent for the insurance company.

There is a 'possibility' from the story that the Insurance company were not allowing the agent a full commission when discount/rebate was given ?

They never do the paperwork till the premium is paid.

I had to do my insurance some years ago on old Limo. Went into the office and asked if I could get a discount for owner driver only. Office made a call to insurance company. Said will have to wait for reply. Lunch later went back in and was told yes a 5.000bt discount.

I'll have that I said. Paid the figure received cover note, updated paperwork two weeks later.

Thank you OP for the info will make enquires when my new insurance is due.

Could be quite a saving as my insurance (didn't have to pay as new lump) was 29th bt. EEEEEEK.

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

They never do the paperwork till the premium is paid.

I had to do my insurance some years ago on old Limo. Went into the office and asked if I could get a discount for owner driver only. Office made a call to insurance company. Said will have to wait for reply. Lunch later went back in and was told yes a 5.000bt discount.

I'll have that I said. Paid the figure received cover note, updated paperwork two weeks later.

Thank you OP for the info will make enquires when my new insurance is due.

Could be quite a saving as my insurance (didn't have to pay as new lump) was 29th bt. EEEEEEK.

I would suggest you ask for the renewal price first, before you mention about the dashcam. Then you can see the discount, rather than someone just saying, "Oh it includes the discount."

That's just me being an untrusting sort of a guy.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I would suggest you ask for the renewal price first, before you mention about the dashcam. Then you can see the discount, rather than someone just saying, "Oh it includes the discount."

That's just me being an untrusting sort of a guy.

Will do so. Normally I get a letter 3 weeks in advance to tell me the renewal price. Same insurance company so should be the same next year. I will then do as before owner driver and dash cam bit. Hopefully a decent discount. Once again thanks for your input.

Will post any update. 

1 hour ago, bberrythailand said:

Hope that it does not cost you more than 600 in medicine for your heart and nerves...

Agreed.  He said earlier it was not the money but the principle but the principle was not worth fighting for either in this case.  Too many people all pointing their fingers at someone else non of whom have and knowledge (or likely intelligence) to grasp any of the complaint.  In this case better to just move along.  And I know he is going to reply and counter my statement but it just adds to yet more aggravation.  Let it go (advise I need to give myself frequently also).  Case in point.  I needed a refill on eardrops yesterday.  First pharmacy "No have" second pharmacy "No have go to Lotus".  Go to Lotus pharmacy "No have".  Now I'm pissed.  4 pharmacists (2 at the Lotus counter) chose to tell me to get lost rather than say something like "Sorry sir, we don't have exactly that brand, what are your symptoms?  Maybe we have something else than can help."  The 2 at Lotus quickly dismissed me and I said  "Hey! We are not finished yet. What DO you have?  Are you telling me this large seemingly stocked pharmacy has nothing for a simple ear infection?  Why not?  You bar code everything, when you saw you were running out why didn't you order more?  Who's in charge here?"  With that one of them finally gave me some attention and offered a different brand of a similar medication.  I said "Was that so hard?  To help someone in pain is it not worth your concern or is it not at the very least your job?"  I walked away while they stared blankly back at me.  I should have asked for some valium while I was there but you know how that would have gone....."NO HAVE".

3 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Agreed.  He said earlier it was not the money but the principle but the principle was not worth fighting for either in this case.  Too many people all pointing their fingers at someone else non of whom have and knowledge (or likely intelligence) to grasp any of the complaint.  In this case better to just move along.  And I know he is going to reply and counter my statement but it just adds to yet more aggravation.  Let it go (advise I need to give myself frequently also).  Case in point.  I needed a refill on eardrops yesterday.  First pharmacy "No have" second pharmacy "No have go to Lotus".  Go to Lotus pharmacy "No have".  Now I'm pissed.  4 pharmacists (2 at the Lotus counter) chose to tell me to get lost rather than say something like "Sorry sir, we don't have exactly that brand, what are your symptoms?  Maybe we have something else than can help."  The 2 at Lotus quickly dismissed me and I said  "Hey! We are not finished yet. What DO you have?  Are you telling me this large seemingly stocked pharmacy has nothing for a simple ear infection?  Why not?  You bar code everything, when you saw you were running out why didn't you order more?  Who's in charge here?"  With that one of them finally gave me some attention and offered a different brand of a similar medication.  I said "Was that so hard?  To help someone in pain is it not worth your concern or is it not at the very least your job?"  I walked away while they stared blankly back at me.  I should have asked for some valium while I was there but you know how that would have gone....."NO HAVE".

Agree not worth the bother unless you pay large amounts for insurance.

In my case my insurance is 29thbt at 10% = 2.9th Even at 5% still worth having.

A friend of mine has a BMW his insurance is 45th+ that's not worth having. Horses for courses. Or a nice meal or two out.

By the way my local Chemist sell Valium. Now where did I put them. 

Your post was spot on though.

13 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

Sorry, a little off topic, but is there a recommendation for where to get the dash cams installed? Do the insurance companies prefer a certain company to do it?

No need to get a company to do this? Order one on Lazada and put it up yourself, even your grandma can do that :smile:

1 hour ago, ncc1701d said:

Sorry, a little off topic, but is there a recommendation for where to get the dash cams installed? Do the insurance companies prefer a certain company to do it?

Like he said Lazada or Aliexpress.  Set up is a snap.  I have the Yi Smart Dash which works seamlessly with an app so I can pull down high def videos right at the scene if need be.  Would't leave home without it. I I could just get one that was both waterproof and could not be easily stolen from my bike I would be all set.  Everytime I see some crazy crap I hit record.  I'm gonna post a highlight real one of these days.  That with all the cobras I film crossing in front of me.

7 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

In which case you have to ask for something different.

You ask for something, they don't have that. Want to settle for something else, ask for something else.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

In which case you have to ask for something different.

You ask for something, they don't have that. Want to settle for something else, ask for something else.

You missed the whole point.  I don't work there.  I am also not a licensed pharmacist.  Simple enough for you??

8 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

You missed the whole point.  I don't work there.  I am also not a licensed pharmacist.  Simple enough for you??

I see that the lack of decent, home style customer service in LOS still rankles?

28 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

As I have witnessed with numerous issues myself, commented on by my friends and discussed countless times on this forum the issue is not what you (we) are after, but that we are not asking the right questions... 

For anyone who has been here any length of time the 'no hab' response is all too typical...  its usually because the staff are lazy and disinterested.... You have to make it easier for them by asking the 'right question'... this would be pretty sound advise for anyone in any area of Thailand...  listen to Thai's on the phone and you will discover that a simple becomes a long drawn out process as the ambiguities and vaguenesses are narrowed down to a more specific answer... 

You have to think of alternative ways to ask the question.  If their first answer is no - hab , which happens all too often , try asking them  "same - same" or "same - same but different". Even "same - same" 50 / 50.  Helps to speak Thai.

6 hours ago, naboo said:

If you get the discount, then have an accident but for whatever reason there is no dashcam footage, will the insurance company pay out?

That's a good point. The Office of the Insurance Commission said they still have to pay under those circumstances, but you would be likely to lose the discount the following year.

11 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

I dont know how long you have been living here, but a problem like yours is really easy to overcome and should not be a problem at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 11:34 PM, ktm jeff said:

You have to think of alternative ways to ask the question.  If their first answer is no - hab , which happens all too often , try asking them  "same - same" or "same - same but different". Even "same - same" 50 / 50.  Helps to speak Thai.

I speak Thai.  I should not have to beg someone in the service industry to do their job.  They are lazy.  It's a reality.  "Try same-same"  gimme a break.  

On 8/4/2017 at 10:36 AM, stevenl said:

I dont know how long you have been living here, but a problem like yours is really easy to overcome and should not be a problem at all.

Yes I should definitely know all possible medical solutions to various symptoms before I seek and assistance from a medical professional.  Makes perfect sense so glad you and your inane logic where here to sort that out.

Archived