Pattaya's iconic dolphin roundabout: Not necessary to ask the public what they want, says spokesman

webfact

Pattaya's iconic dolphin roundabout: Not necessary to ask the public what they want, says spokesman

20638484_1619078104779784_9088052498286673744_n.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

PATTAYA: -- A spokesman for the Pattaya authority had some sharp words for protesters who want to save the resort's famous dolphin roundabout.

Basically he told the public to stay out of it as ripping out the past is good for everyone and the only way to solve the resort's traffic woes.

Phinit Maneerat was speaking at a municipal HQ press conference yesterday after hundreds of people signed an online petition to save the roundabout from destruction.

The council want to put in traffic lights.

Phinit said: "When the roundabout was put in in 1990 traffic was not a problem like it is today.

"A roundabout there is not the answer to the traffic problems. It is no good and not a lasting solution. The radius of the roundabout is too narrow"

He said the idea to put in lights had been decided a long time ago and everyone agreed that it was the way to go. Road space is limited in Pattaya and this option is the best, he said.

"It is not necessary to ask the public what they want," he said. "It is a small project and it will be for everyone's benefit".

Sophon Cable TV reported on the story saying that work to install the lights and other improvements would cost 7 million baht.

Source: Sophon Cable

That is one of the few places where you don't have to wait for ever to get going.

Someone in a former government/administration once suggested,and he was being serious,to keep the lights green longer to solve the problems. Must be why the red light is red for so long nowadays [emoji12]

4 hours ago, webfact said:

"It is not necessary to ask the public what they want," he said

Another example of the mentality of people in Authority, be it a teacher, or politician......We know what is correct, you are simply there to keep me in my position so keep quiet and do not bother me.....plebs.

Maybe if drivers were educated, then forced to obey the traffic rules then the roundabout would work ok. 

Actually the roundabout was promoted by the Rotary Club and a Thai friend who was Senator and owned the Tiffany and Woodland Resort. Originally it had a clock as a centre piece, but it kept breaking down so they replaced it with dolphins. He passed away last year so they now see their opportunity to bulldoze history. However, doing away with the roundabout is sure to give rise to a sharp increase in accidents. There are already traffic lights on the junctions and these are completely ignored.

Edited by Estrada

"Road space is limited in Pattaya", "traffic is not the same now",  He actually seems to be making the argument for a roundabout, The problem is not the roundabout, the problem is that Thai drivers do not respect the rules governing their use. I remember when the roundabout was installed, it was chaos after that as people barged their way onto the roundabout without a thought for other road users. It hasn't got any better since.

Thais do regularly get a sneak preview of how well roundabouts work, typically when an intersection is closed for any reason (such as the construction of a tunnel or flyover) and traffic being guided around, effectively creating a big roundabout.

THen the tunnel or flyover opens to much fanfare and... ... .. and... .. and traffic is worse than before the fancy tunnel when it just flowed around it, safely and quickly. 

The wait is for someone to notice.. 

And in the US intersections with traffic lights are being replaced very quickly with roundabouts. Seems they have already cut accidents at these intersections by as much as 75%.

Of course you have to learn to use them properly which is the problem in Thailand.  'Me First' is the only rule adhered to here!

Edited by HHTel
an omission

3 hours ago, Bangyo1948 said:

That is one of the few places where you don't have to wait for ever to get going.

Someone in a former government/administration once suggested,and he was being serious,to keep the lights green longer to solve the problems. Must be why the red light is red for so long nowadays emoji12.png

I see this all the time and it is when the lights are under the control of the Police box. The green light is given for an excessive time to some directions when there is all but a few straggler (racing like shit to get through them) while an insanely long frustrated queue gets ever bigger. 

Just a thought; maybe the city should think about COMPLETING a project before starting another one. The Suhkumvit tunnel, Siam Country club Rd, and the beach sand reclamation projects come to mind. Plus if they start on the roundabout BEFORE Pattaya Klang is opened back up that means two major roads into the city will be less than full capacity. Finish one thing before you start something else when it affects traffic. 

When the traffic lights stop working, and believe me they will, deadly accidents will happen. This is a crazy congested area with a mix of locals, tourists and big buses.

5 hours ago, Estrada said:

However, doing away with the roundabout is sure to give rise to a sharp increase in accidents. There are already traffic lights on the junctions and these are completely ignored.

No; no.

5 hours ago, Seismic said:

"Road space is limited in Pattaya", "traffic is not the same now",  He actually seems to be making the argument for a roundabout, The problem is not the roundabout, the problem is that Thai drivers do not respect the rules governing their use. I remember when the roundabout was installed, it was chaos after that as people barged their way onto the roundabout without a thought for other road users. It hasn't got any better since.

That's right.

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I wonder will the traffic lights work the same way as the ones on Railway road ,that is for i week then never again?

No.

Round abouts are good if everyone knows how to use them. There was one in Phuket that I avoided

as the tourists from Germany seemed to ignore the rules and were in many fender benders

when I used to visit there. Traffic lights will be better In Pattaya

Geezer

Got to wonder if the fountain is going to be repurposed for a rich mans garden?

Got to wonder what the fix is going to be for the traffic problem created when that edifice that is currently being built on the South East of that intersection; real traffic is going to become the norm when that place opens.

He said the idea to put in lights had been decided a long time ago and everyone agreed that it was the way to go. Road space is limited in Pattaya and this option is the best, he said.

I didnt agree.

I didnt agree.

Nor did I....but seeing as it isnt necessary to ask the public what they want...Everyone must agree :unsure:

"Not necessary to ask the public what they want".

Who pays this spokesman's--and the rest of city govt personnel's salary(?)....that's right, the taxpayers, maybe he's forgotten that like a LOT of govt officials! Maybe the public SHOULD have a say in things since they're the ones paying the bill........just a thought.