Shocking moment terrified toddler, 2, screams as she is forced to go PARASAILING on Phuket beach

webfact

PARASAIL PANIC 

Shocking moment terrified toddler, 2, screams as she is forced to go PARASAILING by her dad before being rescued by strangers on Thai beach

By Fionn Hargreaves

pkt.jpg

The child, believed to be two years old, was in distress when she was strapped into the harness and was quickly rescued by concerned passers-by //Picture: The SUN

THE crying child was hoisted over Patong beach in Phuket, Thailand, as passers-by rushed to pull her back to the ground

A TERRIFIED two-year-old screamed and cried when her dad forced her to go parasailing with him on a Thai beach.

The toddler was in distress as she flew through the air above Patong beach in Phuket, Thailand, and was caught by passers-by.

David Carlyle saw the tot crying and screaming as a group of men forced a harness on her and asked his wife to film the stressful scene.

He said: “While walking along the southern end of Patong Beach we came across some commotion with a Chinese gentleman along with some locals trying to strap a harness around a very young girl who appeared to be no more than two years old.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4255925/shocking-moment-terrified-toddler-2-screams-as-she-is-forced-to-go-parasailing-by-her-dad-before-being-rescued-by-strangers-on-thai-beach/

-- THE SUN 2017-08-17

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Chinese tourist is an absolute idiot, for wanting to do this, but I reserve my contempt for the greed of the operators who agreed to this utter recklessness, just for the sake of a few Baht. Seriously time to regulate these guys.

14 minutes ago, Soupdragon said:

Good to see the comprehensive safety training given by the army to those working in this industry has had a lasting effect. :smile:

Well who believed the Thai army with have a full grasp of safety in the first place ? They are still Thai after all who received a Thai education so hence safety is something "foreigners" care about.

It also appears as the Chinese in this instance also has the same low level of responsibility.

Edited by gummy

I recall a few weeks back when an Australian fell to his death and the operators were charged with causing death by recklessness. Clearly those still operating don't seem to have got the message, because this was totally idiotic. In many countries Social Services would step in and quite rightly take the child away from such foolhardy parents too.

Words fail me for this, whether the child is 2 yrs or 12 yrs. 

The so-called parents of this child for their total irresponsible behaviour.

The mafia operators basically sticking two fingers up to any safety guidelines put in place after the sad death of the Australian gentleman.

Will probably see some idiotic smiling operator on the television telling everyone "that is safe, no problem, the safety harness is a free size"

Hopefully as it is reported by an outside newspaper, something will get done... however i doubt it.

Edited by james.d

Sensationalism..Fionn gets paid to contribute this nonsense to The Sun.

I wouldn't take my 2 yo on this ride, but it's up to the individual to make this choice IMO.

The headline jumps out thus;

Shocking moment terrified toddler, 2, screams as she is forced to go PARASAILING by her dad before being rescued by strangers on Thai beach

I see no evidence of any of this BS in this video.

Or this;

"The child, believed to be two years old, was in distress when she was strapped into the harness and was quickly rescued by concerned passers-by"

Screaming?? rescued by concerned passers by??

Bizarre!

30 minutes ago, happyas said:

Sensationalism..Fionn gets paid to contribute this nonsense to The Sun.

I wouldn't take my 2 yo on this ride, but it's up to the individual to make this choice IMO.

The headline jumps out thus;

I see no evidence of any of this BS in this video.

Or this;

"The child, believed to be two years old, was in distress when she was strapped into the harness and was quickly rescued by concerned passers-by"

Screaming?? rescued by concerned passers by??

Bizarre!

Seeing his/her quote in the Sun makes me feel that he has an issue with parasailing operators more than the concern for the child;

“The parasailing companies around Phuket are very aggressive in signing up customers and as you can see do not care in the least who signs up as long as they are paying!”

No, I do not blame the parents ,,  The operator should have just said NO.  Greed again.The Army said they had the intention of cleaning this industry up after the last tragic accident.

Obviously it was only a call to get their 15%.

Is that how these things are meant to be flown, with some weird acrobatic jockey "Superhero" hanging onto the ropes?

Guess he must be the safety mechanism.

Enjoy your flight, ladies and gentleman, for it may be your last.

A least the little kid showed a lot of common sense.

"Get me the <deleted> off this!"

Personally, I don't see the big deal. The video looked fine. 

The kid had a harness. the kid didn't get hurt. Every one looked safe.

The 2 year old cried? Yeah, 2 year olds cry. My 2 year old will scream bloody murder if I get her the wrong flavor ice cream.

14 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

What's next- bungee jumping? 

Great idea - kop koon krap - where do I get some of that stretchy stuff.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that baby-harness thing on the para-glider look purpose built for the little ones ?

There is something indescribably not right about the Chinese approach to action sports.  They are either fearless or stupid.  I see it everywhere I go.  Renting skis for the family for the first time then getting on a black diamond ski run.  Renting down hill mountain bikes and getting on the most challenging trails. Sailing, scuba diving and so on ... not a clue what they are doing.  It nearly always comes to tears.  I am tempted to admire their willingness to experience new things.  I am however at a complete loss to understand why they seem oblivious to the dangers of taking on advanced conditions/terrain with no prior experience.

5 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

There is something indescribably not right about the Chinese approach to action sports.  They are either fearless or stupid.  I see it everywhere I go.  Renting skis for the family for the first time then getting on a black diamond ski run.  Renting down hill mountain bikes and getting on the most challenging trails. Sailing, scuba diving and so on ... not a clue what they are doing.  It nearly always comes to tears.  I am tempted to admire their willingness to experience new things.  I am however at a complete loss to understand why they seem oblivious to the dangers of taking on advanced conditions/terrain with no prior experience.

It's not just challenging sports - just walking along busy public roads they show no fear at walking 4 abreast and obstructing vehicle flow. See it multiple times each day in Kata and Karon. And the hired motor bike driving - OMG

44 minutes ago, natway09 said:

No, I do not blame the parents ,,  The operator should have just said NO.  Greed again.The Army said they had the intention of cleaning this industry up after the last tragic accident.

Obviously it was only a call to get their 15%.

Who got the main responsibility for children? While the operator should not have allowed this for a bit extra profit, the parents should be responsible enough to not even consider it. The responsibility is mainly at the parents, no matter how you want to spin this.

The video ONLY shows the bit when the child comes down. Why no footage of it crying being forced into the sky?

Seems to me it's more likely the kid wanted to go up then started crying when they were in the air. Sounds like the Brit is exaggerating because they have issues or wanted to sell their video. 

29 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

There may be a higher percentage of idiots in that demographic, possibly because they're so new at traveling and experiencing things we take for granted.  (Or they may just be that stupid)  But I've seen the same kind of thing everywhere I travel, and kids around the world put at risk all over YouTube for the camera.

Having lived in China for 10 years, I'd say that they are actually more protective of their kids -on average- than back home, if only because the one child rule gives them so much time to focus on the one, and they never got to have that 3rd kid after they have figured out how things work and that kids are pretty resilient.  I watched my folks on their 5th kid- and we earlier ones were way more restricted when we were younger.

Edit:  And I still remember the New Yorkers who stayed at the Jewish resort in Mount Freedom, New Jersey where I went to High School, walking down the middle of the Mt Freedom Turnpike, as if it was a sidewalk...

Edited by impulse