Sharp tax hike on alcohol and tobacco effective immediately

rooster59

5 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

the new rates are based on the existing retail price.

So whatever you are paying now, it will be going up!

I hope someone can come up with something easier to grasp,,, like a Bottle of Leo/Singha/Chang/Heini was xxx baht is now xxxxxxxxxxxxx baht! If what I infer from the above information is correct, this is going to choke the bar, nightlife tourist sector.

I am expecting back-peddling!

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

So whatever you are paying now, it will be going up!

I hope someone can come up with something easier to grasp,,, like a Bottle of Leo/Singha/Chang/Heini was xxx baht is now xxxxxxxxxxxxx baht! If what I infer from the above information is correct, this is going to choke the bar, nightlife tourist sector.

I am expecting back-peddling!

Ive no idea, bulk delivery on the way which will cover me whilst the dust settles.

4 hours ago, marino28 said:

Anyway a 66cc of beer at 5% will have 14.19thb of tax for alcohol . Old scheme 3.3 thb.  So around 11 thb of difference regarding the alcol content. Than the old scheme tax 60% of the production price and the new one 22% of the selling price . Since I don't know the production price i cannot calculate this part 

If I'm reading that correctly, doesn't that mean that really they want move to tax at point of sale to get a greater catchment area?  If so they should have waited until they had the Digital Baht replacing paper currency in order to not create a mammoth Accounting headache and black market expansion.

Then again it may lean towards normalising the delta between mom & pop prices versus night clubs or similarly priced venues.

Taxing at manufacture point is the simple way I think, the new way will go further underground.  You can herd humans to a point, but if incentivised to get creative then the yield curve will flatten out.

Edited by Shiver

Latest from my local corner shop.  Bought a few beers and a couple of packs of cigs at usual price, 30 minutes ago. Girl told me that they will get printed notification tonight and price rise will apply to new deliveries from tomorrow. She still has two cartons behind the shelf she said she will keep for me until finished then it will be new price afterwards. ??

Edited by overherebc

51 minutes ago, eiszele2005 said:

The way I read it based on volume a beer at .375l x .05 alcohol x 420baht = 7.87 baht per bottle  (small) I dont understand however if they intend that, plus 22%  of retail value.

Either way I'm sure the local and ferlang bar owners will be hiking their price by far more and blaming the tax hike! 

EDIT just re read it and it appears its both! Might be something like 40 baht x 22% plus 7.87 baht for the volume = 16.67 Baht tax!

I am confused, which Thai beer comes in .375l quantity and which is .05 abv.??

5 hours ago, z42 said:

Absolutely appalling. I don't drink much and don't smoke.. But the prices in line with what your rank and file earn is a joke.

A lot of speculation abound that the coffers are running really low. These ridiculous hikes are going to be used to plug the hole, or are we going to expect denials on both fronts (not broke and sin taxes used in proper way) ?

I doubt the income will rise if the estimated end user prices are elevated to the levels being speculated upon. We are talking a significant hike that will be a deterrent to the purchase in restaurants and bars with the possibility of can't pay wont pay!

Expect more full tables outside of 7-11's

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Lord, forgive them for they don't know what they are doing.

I've seen Thai-plated police cars at the duty free shop in Thanaleng (Lao side of the friendship bridge) being loaded by uniformed Thais; guess that "import" back to Thailand has not seen any duty.

In landlocked Laos beer retails for LAK 10'000 in a restaurant for the big 0.6l bottle, that clocks THB 45 of very quaffable beer. Any wine, lest forget the spirits are less than half the price of Thailand and they still make not only money but it includes duty, wholesale and retail commission as well and is facing higher logistic costs due to the landlocked location of Laos - go figure!

I assume that smuggling through certain unformed channels will reach new heights while the real boozer bigwigs doing the Mekong, Saengsoms, the LaoKhaos etc. will pump out even more of their local firewaters. 

Thailands biggest enemy is and stays its people at the helm - how sad! 

So beer in Vientiane should be about the same price as Nong Khai, which is about 10 miles away.

It may be landlocked but it does have a big river and several bridges so 'logistic' costs apply equally to both places. Taxes and greed at marking up are the difference

5 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

Coupled with the nonsense from TAT on the Pattaya news forum this is going to be a serious nail in the coffin of the tourist industry.

I was in Jomtien a month a ago and in a well known establishment that serves western food.

Gammon steak and chips, 1 bottle of beer for me and a Thai dish and a bottle of water for the girlfriend. Then I worked out the cost at that days rate for the UK pound against the bill in Baht.

11 pounds 90 pence.................................and this before this new tax hike on the booze.

The country is dead on its feet.

Just the gammon steak and chips would be around £11.90 in a British pub now.

1 minute ago, Techno Viking said:

just purchased Bt.14,000 of beer before the tax hike.

21752595_10155308700642740_3736046832930

Wow, the you saved a lot of Satang LOL :-D  

The tax per can of beer will be Bt0.50 higher, and for bottles of beer it will be Bt2 .66 more. For higher-priced beer, the tax will decrease by between Bt0.99 and Bt2.

1 minute ago, Namplik said:

The tax per can of beer will be Bt0.50 higher, and for bottles of beer it will be Bt2 .66 more. For higher-priced beer, the tax will decrease by between Bt0.99 and Bt2.

using your number ive saved about Bt800.

2 minutes ago, Namplik said:

I thought the increase on beer was going to be 22%???

If I understand this correctly, a B500 bottle of proper wine made from grapes is subject to a B1,500 tax per litre of alcohol. Assuming an ancoholic content of 12% therefore, a 0.7 litre bottle would be:

1,500 x 0.13 x 0.7

= 136 Baht more expensive. Or an increase of 27.2%

A 5L box of Mont Clair, made from "fruits" would be:

10% of 990 (approx) = 99     plus

5 x 150 x0.13 = 97.5

= 196.5 Baht more expensive. Or an increase of 19.85%

A crate of beer (24 cans 0.33liters each) costing B820 would rise as follows:

Assumesd cost B820 x 22% = 180    plus

24 x0.33 x  0.5 (alcohol content) x 430 = 170.3

= B350.3 more expenisive. An increase of 42.6%

Of course, to know what the real increase in price is we need to know how much tax is paid NOW and deduct that figure from the above, as the leader article indicates there are the new applicable tax rates. Have I got this wrong?

Time to join AA. Or restart the art of brewing - so well practiced in my youth, but Boots here does not sell the kits. There's a market out there just waiting for exploiting.