Michael Bloomberg: Brexit is stupidest thing any country has done besides Trump

webfact

So how many questions would you have put in the referendum - 10, 20, 50?  That massively increases the possibility of human error. And what would you have done with the results of this referendum / survey? If people voted to leave the EU but stay in the single market, you think the EU would just say "of course you can do that!" No they wouldn't.

What NHS trucks?? Were you even there and listening during the referendum?

An in/out vote was the only way to get a clear decision, and you're naïve if you think otherwise.

Now we all need to pull together to get the best post Brexit arrangements possible.

It obviously wasn't the only way to get a clear decision. 

First, it wasn't clear. That much is patently obvious.

It's not even clear if the result is binding or not.

Second, having multiple questions allows the government to really probe what are the important factors without commuting to a rash course of action. The percentage voting for this or that parameter would help to justify the government direction but also allow them flexibility in negotiation and practical arrangements. There would never be just one route in or out.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I have to agree with that statement. The Pound nosedived straight after taking 20% of my monthly cash with it. I know many UK people were unhappy about the amount of immigrants from other EU countries coming in, but most of them failed to appreciate that they had exactly the same opportunity to go work in France, Spain, wherever.

Now the future, which was looking OK, is far more uncertain. as in will we get a Brexit deal or not and the Pound is still seriously weak.

Not sure it is up there with the stupidity of electing Trump, but IMO, definitely wasn't a smart move.

The £ nosediving was not an immediate effect felt by those living in the UK....  and the economies in Spain and France seriously lagged behind the UK, their nationals were coming over to the UK to look for jobs because there were none at home.  I was not living in the UK myself during Brexit, yet wanted out as I hated being ruled by non-elected Eurocrats. Those living in the UK cities where immigration was heavy were much much dissatisfied.  It has been a mess, it has set the country back, but I hope thee UK will recover when and if the process completes.

What the hell does Bloomberg, estimated worrh 50+ Billion, $ know about it, even if he does own a luxurious London property and 14 others!

5 hours ago, citybiker said:

I dislike UK politicians, especially those who pledge a referendum then renegade, the same very person who is probably one the UK’s most despised man, not difficult to identify.

Talking of despised, this very term is very appropriate as these unelected MEP & Brussels self proclaimed elite seem to think they can over-rule the UK’s own Parliament. So I don’t hate the EU I despise its ignorance to solving real serious issues, along with despising their arrogance along with to reform requests fall on deaf ears.

Full Accountability will eventually return to Westminster so the electorate have the option to sack MP’s if they’re unfit for purpose, and most of all ‘serve’ those who elect them.

The sacking of unelected MEP’s within Brussels isn’t an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And so the scapegoating of the EU continues. It is your own MP's who are responsible now. Nothing will change, except that Britain will be a bit more isolated.

19 hours ago, Grouse said:

Not all voters are stupid

But stupid people voted for Brexit

Seen the latest polls?

I don't think Brexit will happen, thankfully

You are entitled to your view. I would not be so rude as to call millions of people that I know little of stupid but you must know better.

13 hours ago, Grouse said:

A) He didn't go about it the right way

B) There have been significant changes in EU countries as I'm sure you know

Right way or not, the EU must have known that if he failed he had promised a referendum. That shows the arrogance of the EU in my opinion.

When was the last time the UK did manage to negotiate concessions?  Since Thatcher got the rebate agreed?

Significant changes in what way? Due to the Britexit vote?

Utter lies I saw the interview with John Snow last night on UK Channel 4 News

Bloolmerg has just invested 1 billion £'s in new state of the art offices in London with room to expand for the next 10 years.

I saw and heard the words come out of Bloolmberg's mouth. Bloody reporters and their stupid headlines. John Snow fed the usual lines and Bloolmberg avoided directly answering some of the questions so Snow (who I used to think was impartial) answered his own questions.

Again you cannot believe some stories unless you hear what was said yourself.
That's because he didn't say that during the channel 4 interview, he said it two weeks ago at another symposium, the video is on Facebook !

In the channel 4 interview he was more measured with his words but stated that 'Brexit would result in less jobs in the UK'.

Right way or not, the EU must have known that if he failed he had promised a referendum. That shows the arrogance of the EU in my opinion.  

When was the last time the UK did manage to negotiate concessions?  Since Thatcher got the rebate agreed?

Significant changes in what way? Due to the Britexit vote?

The arrogance of the EU doesn't make sense.It's not a monolithic entity.

Its a club of 27 nations, if you are going to blame the other members with being broadly satisfied with existing rules then its you that could be considered to be arrogant.

It's not arrogance to keep abiding by the same rules that have already been agreed upon!!!

I noticed the hard brexit folks increasingly trying to play the blame game on the EU as their fantasies meet reality head on.

It is with great sadness I note that a great many in here have fallen into the trap of believing the rhetoric espoused by the remainers.

So please allow me to point out to you all that the reason prices are rising in the UK is simply because the supermarkets who control food and the majority of other commodity prices are doing all they can to protect their profits, so they are forcing up prices quite unnecessarily, afterall we have not left the EU yet so the costs of these commodities are no different to before and therefore can not be justified.

May I also ask another question, Do any of you really believe that after we leave, Germany will stop Mercedes, BMW. volkswagon to mention but a few manufacturers who have a very large market in the UK from exporting those vehicles to the Uk ?

I think not but if you really believe they will then I most sincerely hope the the herd of elephants flying around your heads have not been fed a large quantity of prunes .

Just try to remember that the very moment the yes vote was announced and long before ( in financial terms) carnage was waged on the Pound by the bank of England as punishment, the world including Thailand were crashing through the door to do business deals with the UK because suddenly the shackles imposed by Germany and the French we're gone and deals could be done in a professional business way without having to pay the extortion rates imposed by those two countries upon any and all business prior to us leaving.

I make no apology if I have hurt your feelings, however I do suggest that if you continue to believe the rhetoric you all keep a very close eye on the sky above you for that herd of elephants

2 hours ago, Janner1 said:

It is with great sadness I note that a great many in here have fallen into the trap of believing the rhetoric espoused by the remainers.

So please allow me to point out to you all that the reason prices are rising in the UK is simply because the supermarkets who control food and the majority of other commodity prices are doing all they can to protect their profits, so they are forcing up prices quite unnecessarily, afterall we have not left the EU yet so the costs of these commodities are no different to before and therefore can not be justified.

May I also ask another question, Do any of you really believe that after we leave, Germany will stop Mercedes, BMW. volkswagon to mention but a few manufacturers who have a very large market in the UK from exporting those vehicles to the Uk ?

I think not but if you really believe they will then I most sincerely hope the the herd of elephants flying around your heads have not been fed a large quantity of prunes .

Just try to remember that the very moment the yes vote was announced and long before ( in financial terms) carnage was waged on the Pound by the bank of England as punishment, the world including Thailand were crashing through the door to do business deals with the UK because suddenly the shackles imposed by Germany and the French we're gone and deals could be done in a professional business way without having to pay the extortion rates imposed by those two countries upon any and all business prior to us leaving.

I make no apology if I have hurt your feelings, however I do suggest that if you continue to believe the rhetoric you all keep a very close eye on the sky above you for that herd of elephants

"afterall we have not left the EU yet so the costs of these commodities are no different to before and therefore can not be justified."

Maybe you missed the part where the pound reduced in value, making imports, a big part of commodity prices, much more expensive.

14 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Do you think that the EU will let in Parma Ham made in Torquay - after regulating the Appellation?

You may like or dislike the EU regulations, but an "independant" UK will still have to follow them to be allowed to export to the EU.

And as an outsider, the UK will not be able to influence the regulations.

Maybe soon the EU will export Scotch Whisky made in Greece?

But Parma ham is only produced in Italy, and Scotch whisky is only produced in Scotland - right?

Maybe you missed the part where the pound reduced in value, making imports, a big part of commodity prices, much more expensive.

Actually Stev
53 minutes ago, stevenl said:

ActSteven  Steven I did not miss anything. 
Most UK supermarkets deal in euros through their subsidiaries in Europe, which also allows them to reduce the tax they pay to the UK government.

Not wishing to insult you or anyone else in any way, simply trying to enlighten to just what is going on, I also thought you might have had your eye on that one but obviously not, So I do hope you keep your eye on the elephants.

And so the scapegoating of the EU continues. It is your own MP's who are responsible now. Nothing will change, except that Britain will be a bit more isolated.

I’d be interested to see how many MP’s will remain in Westminster once full accountability returns, scapegoating isn’t the term I’d use however I’ll yet again emphasis that interference will not be tolerated.

Lastly, CAP, trade, security, intelligence sharing will continue (albeit amended) along with unnecessary EU policies slowly removed but total isolation is highly unlikely, it didn’t work for project fear & unlikely to work now.

57 minutes ago, stevenl said:

My sincere apologies Steven, 

My reply should have begun " Actually Steven " , and not as posted .

Just getting old but sorry all the same

12 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

LOL

The last election to the european parliament was 2014.

The next election is 2019.

Every 5 years is election time to the european parliament.

You can ask Nigel Farage.

He is a member of the European Parliament. He gets every year around 200.000 Euros for his presence.

The point is, our (UK) MEPs only have a fraction of the voting power. This is why there is a lack of enthusiasm in the UK for voting in European elections.  As a nation we've never really bought into it.

Farage gets voted in because a lot of people want him in the European parliament to challenge the whole EU system.

7 minutes ago, citybiker said:

I’d be interested to see how many MP’s will remain in Westminster once full accountability returns, scapegoating isn’t the term I’d use however I’ll yet again emphasis that interference will not be tolerated.

Lastly, CAP, trade, security, intelligence sharing will continue (albeit amended) along with unnecessary EU policies slowly removed but total isolation is highly unlikely, it didn’t work for project fear & unlikely to work now.

Full accountability is in Westminster and has always been there. EU is just the scapegoat.

9 hours ago, taipeir said:

It obviously wasn't the only way to get a clear decision. 

First, it wasn't clear. That much is patently obvious.

It's not even clear if the result is binding or not.

Second, having multiple questions allows the government to really probe what are the important factors without commuting to a rash course of action. The percentage voting for this or that parameter would help to justify the government direction but also allow them flexibility in negotiation and practical arrangements. There would never be just one route in or out.

I see where you're coming from, but it's impossible to micro manage the huge voting population in that way unfortunately. There had to be a simple yes/no referendum, with negotiations to follow.

My preference would have been for a cross party + business leaders Brexit team to have been put together after the referendum, to thrash out our position among themselves, reach agreement, then go to face the EU in apposition of strength. Never going to happen though!

And by the way - the result was morally binding, and that's all that mattered.  That's why Article 50 has already been triggered.

27 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

But Parma ham is only produced in Italy, and Scotch whisky is only produced in Scotland - right?

Wrong!

The purpose of these regulations is to make sure that substandard product imitations, made in cheap labour countries by mafia type businesses are not sold as "the real thing".

It is bad enough that mozarella, feta, Belgian chocolate, Gouda etc can still be sold made anywhere with whatever ingredients.

You may not like rules UND regulations, but unfortunately we need them - and yes of course we have to question them.

24 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The point is, our (UK) MEPs only have a fraction of the voting power. This is why there is a lack of enthusiasm in the UK for voting in European elections.  As a nation we've never really bought into it.

Farage gets voted in because a lot of people want him in the European parliament to challenge the whole EU system.

QUOTE: The point is, our (UK) MEPs only have a fraction of the voting power.

Deeuuuh! The Welsh also have only a fraction of the voting power within the UK parliament.

And that well paid Farage character had to admit - live on radio - that after living in Brussels for so many years, he was still not capable of speaking basic Dutch or French. Foreigners adapting to local culture? 555

5 hours ago, taipeir said:

In the channel 4 interview he was more measured with his words but stated that 'Brexit would result in less jobs in the UK'.

But he also says he's hiring thousands more people in London over the next few years, and that London is and will remain the finance hub of Europe.

Do you not see through his political manoeuvring here?

Well, it's a matter of opinion - British, not American. And it evidently hasn't put Bloomberg off opening his brand new London outpost.

If it impacts negatively at all - and that very much remains to be seen - it'll be on the EU and the UK. The impact of the US's cock ups, on the other hand - and I'm thinking more of Bush junior and his cohorts, than of Trump - tends to be felt globally.

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

QUOTE: The point is, our (UK) MEPs only have a fraction of the voting power.

Deeuuuh! The Welsh also have only a fraction of the voting power within the UK parliament.

And that well paid Farage character had to admit - live on radio - that after living in Brussels for so many years, he was still not capable of speaking basic Dutch or French. Foreigners adapting to local culture? 555

Why would he? It would be Flemish, anyway, and that varies from region to region. Do you suppose every MEP Tom, Hans and Henri seeks to speak every other EU language? English, to the chagrin of the French, is the language of international business, and in the context of the EU, the only one he needs.

20 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Wrong!

The purpose of these regulations is to make sure that substandard product imitations, made in cheap labour countries by mafia type businesses are not sold as "the real thing".

It is bad enough that mozarella, feta, Belgian chocolate, Gouda etc can still be sold made anywhere with whatever ingredients.

You may not like rules UND regulations, but unfortunately we need them - and yes of course we have to question them.

I think you're wrong. For example, a simple google search will tell you that only those cheeses manufactured in Macedonia, Thrace, Thessaly, Central Mainland Greece, the Peloponnese and Lesvos can be called ‘feta’.

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes. I'm not saying those rules are a bad thing necessarily.  I was just informing you of the rules on Parma Ham and Scotch.

18 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Why would he? It would be Flemish, anyway, and that varies from region to region. Do you suppose every MEP Tom, Hans and Henri seeks to speak every other EU language? English, to the chagrin of the French, is the language of international business, and in the context of the EU, the only one he needs.

Farage LIVED in Brussels (mostly outside the European parliament) - and by the way, Brussels is 90% french speaking and there is a standard Flemish language on top of the dialects.

Farage just couldn't be bothered to learn the language of the culture that he lived in - while bashing (rightfully) muslims that act the same in the UK.

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think you're wrong. For example, a simple google search will tell you that only those cheeses manufactured in Macedonia, Thrace, Thessaly, Central Mainland Greece, the Peloponnese and Lesvos can be called ‘feta’.

Maybe we're talking at cross purposes. I'm not saying those rules are a bad thing necessarily.  I was just informing you of the rules on Parma Ham and Scotch.

Google feta holland.

Made from Dutch cow milk. Not Greek sheep milk.

Or visit Macro and buy NZ mozarella that does not even look like mozarella.

5 minutes ago, USPatriot said:

People are only mad because they lost money.

People are sick of the Muslims and what they have done.

Were the French not trying to prevent the muslims from entering the UK (Calais?)?

And are the Pakistani muslims not the legacy of the Great British Empire....?

Archived