Aussie couple's holiday from hell after motorbike crash in Phuket

webfact

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:25 AM, ChrisY1 said:

One day the tourists will learn......don't hire scooters in Thailand!

The simple truth, but very very few will listen.  Thailand would do well to make it MUCH more difficult, or illegal outright, for tourists to rent these, at least in the main tourist destinations.  No, they'll never learn.   Even riders with previous experience ride for a couple of days in Thailand and immediately pick up all the reckless habits (speeding, me-first, wrong-way driving, driving on the sidewalks, etc., etc., etc.) of the locals, posing a danger to themselves as well as pedestrians.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/7/2017 at 7:56 PM, thaifan01 said:

The roads in Thailand are dangerous and deadly, that is a fact. Renting a motorbike is pretty easy and cheap, but its a good idea to just let it be.

Reality will hit you pretty hard if you have an accident, and the consequenses could be fatal so it may be a good idea to just let it be an grab a taxi?

I don't trust a complete stranger to drive me safely in a taxi, in a country where the majority of drivers have no concept of safe driving !!!

I'll take my chances on a motorbike where I at least have some control over my destiny :)

11 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

It's not about ill educated BiB looking to impose an easy fine. It's about the insurance cover paper work.

It is about the BiB, because they don't know the rules. Legally an IDP is not required.

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

I don't trust a complete stranger to drive me safely in a taxi, in a country where the majority of drivers have no concept of safe driving !!!

I'll take my chances on a motorbike where I at least have some control over my destiny :)

You feel safer on two wheels with no protection around you "in a country where the majority of drivers have no concept of safe driving !!!" ?

18 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

You feel safer on two wheels with no protection around you "in a country where the majority of drivers have no concept of safe driving !!!" ?

Yes, I feel safer being in control. Potential to take evasive action etc.

I hate being in a taxi or min van, basically hoping and praying we make to our destination :)

Now I refuse to take mini vans. Obviously still need to take taxis occasionally in BKK for example but tend to stick with MRT if possible.

26 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I hate being in a taxi or min van, basically hoping and praying we make to our destination :)

Now I refuse to take mini vans. Obviously still need to take taxis occasionally in BKK for example but tend to stick with MRT if possible.

I agree with most of your concerns, but not your solution.

There is an alternative that, for me, is the only relatively safe way to venture on the roads here.

A clue: 4 wheels, metal shell, airbags, crumple zones, seatbelts....and me behind the wheel.

Edited by Old Croc

I agree with most of your concerns, but not your solution.
There is an alternative that, for me, is the only relatively safe way to venture on the roads here.
A clue: 4 wheels, metal shell, airbags, crumple zones, seatbelts....and me behind the wheel.

Yes, all of the above....plus front AND rear dash cams for me thanks.

34 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I agree, taking public transport or even riding in a friend car is not fun, riding a bike at least you control your own actions.

The Train here is ok, slow and safe most of the time.

The rental businesses should be dealt with severely if they rent a bike to someone who is unlicensed and if the bikes don't have full insurance.  I can't  rent a bike or car in places like Australia if I don't produce a current licence.  It is also an offence for the owner to allow an unlicensed person to use their vehicle.

On 8/12/2017 at 10:25 PM, Russell17au said:

When I first started coming here I hired cars and traveled the Isaan area only with my Australian license and I never had any problems and I have never had a fine here and now I live here and have a Thai license

I paid the donation of 200 baht just once at a road block, every other time has been fine with my aussie licence.

The rental businesses should be dealt with severely if they rent a bike to someone who is unlicensed and if the bikes don't have full insurance.  I can't  rent a bike or car in places like Australia if I don't produce a current licence.  It is also an offence for the owner to allow an unlicensed person to use their vehicle.

Should the rental businesses also check that every customer has no alcohol or illicit drugs in their system also?

11 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Should the rental businesses also check that every customer has no alcohol or illicit drugs in their system also?

What?  No just ensure they have a licence before you let them rent.  If they are obviously drunk then don't let them rent either.

What?  No just ensure they have a licence before you let them rent.  If they are obviously drunk then don't let them rent either.

So it’s ok to rent a bike to someone who is drunk but not “obviously drunk”. Interesting.

And what about the authenticity of the licence that the customer produces?

For example, some disqualified drivers “forget” to hand back their licences and continue to use them.

Another example is when an Australian changes state licenses. They get to keep their original state’s licence even though it’s cancelled.

Do you expect Thai rental businesses to run a check of every farang’s licence to ensure it’s still valid?

24 minutes ago, Gregster said:

So it’s ok to rent a bike to someone who is drunk but not “obviously drunk”. Interesting.

And what about the authenticity of the licence that the customer produces?

For example, some disqualified drivers “forget” to hand back their licences and continue to use them.

Another example is when an Australian changes state licenses. They get to keep their original state’s licence even though it’s cancelled.

Do you expect Thai rental businesses to run a check of every farang’s licence to ensure it’s still valid?

People just present their car license and say its a bike license, its only an extra small R for bike endorsement. One of the heavy vehicle endorsements is MC (Multi Combination), I watched a guy tell a rental guy it meant Motorcycle. Besides, you can still get your mate with a licenses to go and rent a bike for you.

45 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Why is it that folks seem to rule out any ' i'm responsible for my personal safety ' once they arrive in Thailand.

It's always blame the other guy or the hirer or the bus driver .....    

Because that is the direction society is moving. Blame someone else and try to get compensated for your own mistakes and/or stupidity.

Clearly it’s the responsibility of the farang bike hirer to meet their respective travel insurer’s T&C’s...eg valid bike licence, not drunk, no illicit drugs in system, not be a pillion of a bike under the control of an unlicensed/drunk rider etc etc etc.

Could people please stop posting nonsense on here that “Thai rental businesses are responsible/should be fined”. Please.

On 12/8/2017 at 6:25 PM, Russell17au said:

When I first started coming here I hired cars and traveled the Isaan area only with my Australian license and I never had any problems and I have never had a fine here and now I live here and have a Thai license

Fascinating- but this is about PHUKET. Each area is different.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Why is it that folks seem to rule out any ' i'm responsible for my personal safety ' once they arrive in Thailand.

It's always blame the other guy or the hirer or the bus driver .....    

It's called the 'but I'm on holiday so common sense and laws go out the window' defence.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, Thaiwrath said:

Insurance probably denied as a motorcycle was used.

Insurance companies should really make a point of highlighting this to future travelers here, but, as people would refuse to buy the policy, or go to a different company that may cover it,  I very much doubt they will. 

His licence had expired, that's how he invalidated the insurance policy.

Insurance policy conditions are made very clear and every policy holder is given instruction to read them.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:51 PM, steelepulse said:

In most countries, a business will not rent to a car or motorbike if you don't have a license.  That would have saved this couple if the law would have been followed and a valid license had to be shown.

Well done, blame Thailand.  This couple should bear no responsibility at all for their negligent action?

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, 4MyEgo said:

When will the Thai government step in and apply pressure to the renters of such bikes/scooters, that insurance must be issued with the bike for the bike renter or shut up shop.

Probably 100 years after I am long dead and buried 555

Wouldn't have helped in this case as the riders licence was invalid.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, madmitch said:

Too many stories like this in the press these days and I wonder how many similar happenings don't become public?

Hahaha...again!  But when you're speculating about the unknown, just as likely none as some.

Edited by Just Weird

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:49 AM, chrissables said:

Why is the blame not being directed to the car that drove at them? 

They could be fully legal and still end up in hospital, time to prosecute the people who cause the accidents.

No they couldn't, it's known that they were not even a little bit legal.

on Phuket, back in the good old bad old days 35 years ago...

...way back then was the time that it was a virtual free for all on who could ride a motorcycle.

There was only one rule:

'Don't Leave the Island (Phuket) on ya bike

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

No they couldn't, it's known that they were not even a little bit legal.

When i quoted this, nothing was confirmed.

Not legal how? Does that excuse the driver driving at them they avoided, if that is true?

Having no licence is illegal, but if because out of date does not make them unqualified to ride safely.

Edited by chrissables

3 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Not legal how? Does that excuse the driver driving at them they avoided, if that is true?

Having no licence is illegal, but if because out of date does not make them qualified to ride safely.

more qualified than a StepThru with 7 kids riding on it to school

- and I am sure that a Hospital would bend over backwards to help the kids out

22 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Having no licence is illegal, but if because out of date does not make them unqualified to ride safely.

You are quite right but it does makes him ineligible to drive, safely or otherwise.