Worms found in famous local canned fish tin

webfact

Worms found in famous local canned fish tin

“I posted on social media not because I wanted to shame the brand. What I wanted to do is warn others who like to eat canned fish just like my family to be careful."

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

IMG_2682.jpg

Phuket woman Sarantip Chaeton found worms in a tin of canned fish. Her post on social media has become viral with more than 124,544 shares.

She revealed on December 9 that she bought the canned fish on December 8. Her sister bought three cans which all mention an expiry date of October 16, 2020, with the manufacturing date being October 16, 2017.

The first two cans were normal but when she opened the third one she found a lot of worms inside. She initially thought they were fishbone but then they started to move, which confirmed to her that they were parasites.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/worms-found-famous-local-canned-fish-tin

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-12-11

12 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

YES!!!!!....Well done Sir, your prize of ten tins of a famous tinned fish brand is on its way......:cheesy:

Can you make it John West salmon please!

They would have rejected these because..............

Edited by xylophone

9 minutes ago, shaggy851 said:

Not famous but popular brand of pla kapong. Less popular now and looks like I have to throw out several cans after I get back from my travels. My girlfriend was laughing at me as I always snack on cans of fish tuna /mackerel and have the same brand.

I always keep a couple of cans of the Hi-Q brand mackerel in sauce for salad protein at lunch.. But may have to resort to the Ayam brand sardines in olive oil  which are of a much higher quality and 4 x the price.

btw did a bit of research and turns out that almost all tinned mackerel is canned in tomatoe sauce because the acid content of the sauce prevents pathogens just in case of poor canning.. Apparently doesn't kill parasites! 

Edited by tonray

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yes, with a very fishy tale. I wonder how they wormed their way in?

It's part of the ingredients. Can't you figure out such simple thing? What's wrong with those worms? After all the Thais eat all the grasshoppers, and lots of other insects and wood worms etc. Just eat it up and stop complaining.

15 hours ago, madusa said:

It's part of the ingredients. Can't you figure out such simple thing? What's wrong with those worms? After all the Thais eat all the grasshoppers, and lots of other insects and wood worms etc. Just eat it up and stop complaining.

strange that you say all the thais eat grasshoppers and other insects. i know very few that would eat them

40 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

ok fine. but correct me if am wrong. he did say all thais eat them, which they don't

He did but I think he dropped a comma so you read it as 'all Thais eat bugs' instead of 'after all, Thais eat bugs'.

Punctuation problem.

18 hours ago, Happy enough said:

strange that you say all the thais eat grasshoppers and other insects. i know very few that would eat them

You said, "I know very few that would eat them"- then why are there so much display of these fried crispy insects in the market place? Go to Laos you see a lot more . I was kind of shocked when I first saw them. Apparently they have been eating these stuffs for generations. I often wonder the level of insecticide in these insects. Probably depend on where they caught them I guess.

This is a real fishy claim.

It is impossible for those worms to be alive in a can that has gone thru a steriliaation process. If those cans were not sterilised, it would gave swollen and blown out within 2 or 3 weeks. I smell a fishy- rat in this claim.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:16 PM, xylophone said:

Can you make it John West salmon please!

They would have rejected these because..............

Yeah right

John West Foods is a United Kingdom-based seafood marketing company established in 1857, and currently owned by Thai Union Group of Thailand. They are known as a producer of canned salmon and tuna, and also supply mackerel, sardine, herring, brisling, anchovies and shellfish.

12 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Yeah right

John West Foods is a United Kingdom-based seafood marketing company established in 1857, and currently owned by Thai Union Group of Thailand. They are known as a producer of canned salmon and tuna, and also supply mackerel, sardine, herring, brisling, anchovies and shellfish.

That's interesting news! 

Anyway my comment re rejecting was based on their old advertising strapline which went......"It's the fish John West reject that makes it the best" (or something like that!).