Thai shop owner angry that I parked in front of her shop.

doggie1955

First, let me tell you I did a post on fb about this with a video...and it is up to 880,860 hits here in Thailand in the last 12 days.

I was taking 2 dogs to the Vet's in Phichit and I parked in front of his clinic, and there was a sign in Thai telling me I could not park pass this "invisible line".

Well, the back end of my truck was only one foot over the line, so I get out and open my truck tailgate and this Thai woman and her husband started yelling at me.

They wanted me to park across the street with my dogs in this heavy traffic area, well that was not going to happen. So I took the dogs in the clinic and called my wife and told her what was going on. She said to take a video of what was going on, so I did!... And that is when she stared with her mouth and all the name calling, you will see my truck in the video.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She didn't have plastic chairs out front to claim her spot. I can imagine her getting irate with all the customers she must get selling that cooking oil or whatever it is. I would have just gone about my business and ignored her. 

I told the woman and her husband that they do not own the road, and I will park here every time I come to this clinic.

I do a lot of work with the dogs in the area and the Temples...if you go the fb:  Thailand Temple Dogs & Cats

That is what I do here in Thailand. As a Ret. U.S. Army Vet of 22 yrs. This is what I like doing.

Edited by doggie1955

Why are you antagonizing them calling them tong tong. What is inflaming the situation going to do, if you need to park there and there is no where else to park convenient why dont you just go about your business normally?

If you are allowed to park there then fine, park there but what can you possibly gain by standing there calling them ting tong. If you have been here for a while you must be aware that nothing good is going to come from it and they are not simply going to change their minds and welcome you parking there.

Personally if there was anywhere remotely convenient to park elsewhere i would do. Life is to short to be getting into petty little squabbles with the locals even if you are strictly in the right.

And no one cares if you are a US army Vet, i am not even sure why you need to mention it.

Its not uncommon for Thai businesses to claim the parking in front of their business for "their" customers and deliveries. Its also not uncommon for Thai people to respect the parking in front of businesses as belonging to that business, I know my wife doesnt often park in front of businesses, or she asks permission.

It may mean the loss of a sale if a customer cant pull up and load 3-4 boxes of cooking oil, they go to the other shop.

If you are ever in business in Thailand you may appreciate this respect for others space.

People respect that the shop owner is trying to run a business etc and needs that space, in the same way, as it appears, you feel people should be affording you a level of respect for being a veteran  

Edited by Peterw42

I find this troubling on many levels. Legally she does not own the street, but morally, she is trying to make a living and parking a pickup in front of her shopfront can affect her sales. She does not seem to be particularly wealthy and I would suspect that she, like many small shop owners, is hoping to make enough to make ends meet.

I would politely ask her if I could park there, and if she agreed, would probably buy a couple bottles of her cooking oil as I got ready to leave.

And I would not even consider videoing the encounter and using my limited Thai to call her names. Just not a very classy response.

Edited by SpokaneAl

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Its not uncommon for Thai businesses to claim the parking in front of their business for "their" customers and deliveries. Its also not uncommon for Thai people to respect the parking in front of businesses as belonging to that business, I know my wife doesnt often park in front of businesses, or she asks permission.

It may mean the loss of a sale if a customer cant pull up and load 3-4 boxes of cooking oil, they go to the other shop.

If you are ever in business in Thailand you may appreciate this respect for others space.

People respect that the shop owner is trying to run a business etc and needs that space, in the same way, as it appears, you feel people should be affording you a level of respect for being a veteran  

If a shop/business needs vehicle parking for their customers or suppliers then they should rent land or private space for that purpose. Everyone has the same rights to  public land or roadways.

Parking on a public roadway has nothing to do with respect for a shop or person.

Edited by Banana7

I don't know how it is in the USA, haven't been there for many years, but parking in any town in the UK now is an absolute nightmare, restrictions all over the place, if you can get a space in a car park it costs plenty and is time-limited with huge penalties if you overstay. Compared with that, it's never a problem to park in our local town here without having to walk very far from where you want to be, and to get uptight with a lady wanting to protect a space for her customers is utterly disproportionate and unreasonable. Taking your dogs to the vet doesn't confer any special status. 

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Why are you antagonizing them calling them tong tong. What is inflaming the situation going to do, if you need to park there and there is no where else to park convenient why dont you just go about your business normally?

If you are allowed to park there then fine, park there but what can you possibly gain by standing there calling them ting tong. If you have been here for a while you must be aware that nothing good is going to come from it and they are not simply going to change their minds and welcome you parking there.

Personally if there was anywhere remotely convenient to park elsewhere i would do. Life is to short to be getting into petty little squabbles with the locals even if you are strictly in the right.

And no one cares if you are a US army Vet, i am not even sure why you need to mention it.

I dislike Thais claiming part of the road for their parking. I got an idiot neighbor next door that blocks the street with her car if anyone parks on her spot (they have 2 other cars also parked in the same street so they are the reason why people are looking for other parking places). I had a visitor once who parked there it the lady went again crazy calling for security who would ring our door at first we ignored them. They also did not want to be in the position they were and in the end we moved the car to prevent further escalation. Still its a really bad Thai habit to claim part of the road just because your house or shop is in front of it. 

Personally I would have tried to avoid conflict as it could only end badly (scratched cars ect). That is actually the only reason I tell visitors never to park there even if it means a parking space all empty all the time (never know if she will come to that house). Because its just not worth the trouble. But I really get the OP his feeling about the claiming of public spaces. I would not have acted his way as it would invite trouble and like to avoid it.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I dislike Thais claiming part of the road for their parking. I got an idiot neighbor next door that blocks the street with her car if anyone parks on her spot (they have 2 other cars also parked in the same street so they are the reason why people are looking for other parking places). I had a visitor once who parked there it the lady went again crazy calling for security who would ring our door at first we ignored them. They also did not want to be in the position they were and in the end we moved the car to prevent further escalation. Still its a really bad Thai habit to claim part of the road just because your house or shop is in front of it. 

Personally I would have tried to avoid conflict as it could only end badly (scratched cars ect). That is actually the only reason I tell visitors never to park there even if it means a parking space all empty all the time (never know if she will come to that house). Because its just not worth the trouble. But I really get the OP his feeling about the claiming of public spaces. I would not have acted his way as it would invite trouble and like to avoid it.

Yeah i understand him as well, that he is probably in the right, but its just not worth the hassle and antagonising the lady calling her ting tong is not exactly taking the upper hand in the acting like grown up bracket either.

There is just zero upside for calling her ting tong repeatedly. Some things here we just need to suck up and put a brave face on sometimes however much it grates you.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

That's the first time I have heard ignorant shop owners that rudely bully and intimidate other people as only seeking the respect of anything.

1 hour ago, mr.buffalo said:

Very amateurish his attempt to belittle her with his stupid bit of Thai calling her ting tong. What a dick.

What she was calling me was everything in the book, and I was parked in front of the Vet clinic,  and only one foot of the back end of my truck was parked on that side...The side she thinks she owns.

43 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Yeah i understand him as well, that he is probably in the right, but its just not worth the hassle and antagonising the lady calling her ting tong is not exactly taking the upper hand in the acting like grown up bracket either.

There is just zero upside for calling her ting tong repeatedly. Some things here we just need to suck up and put a brave face on sometimes however much it grates you.

Calling her crazy is nothing, but what she was called me is way worse! I had one Thai Lawyer who saw the video already tell my wife that we can take her to court for what she told me... And yes it is bad!

I agree with the Op that this lady over reacted...  I agree that she has no real right to protect or block the road from her shop. I agree with the Op that this lady was being extremely ridiculous about the whole situation - its not as if the Op was blocking access to a busy drive way etc... 

That said: It also appears that in videoing the 'whacky woman's' tirade the Op may have been hoping his words would antagonize this crazy lady further and in doing so justify the 'media revenge' he was planning.

All in all its just a nutty woman being silly and a guy who chose not to ignore her... 

1 minute ago, doggie1955 said:

Calling her crazy is nothing, but what she was called me is way worse! I had one Thai Lawyer who saw the video already tell my wife that we can take her to court for what she told me... And yes it is bad!

Hope people in the US army are not as sensitive as you.

You showed the clip to a lawyer because she grumbled and cussed a bit and you’re talking about court !!!
Grow a pair soldier, stop being an old lady!!!!

Sent from my house using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The woman's not really acting aggressively towards you. Yes she's giving it a real mouthful of language but she's hardly standing there and directing it right in your face. She's wandering around and having a vent using extremely colourful language. It's very strong language but it's stuff that people use all the time when they're feeling upset. It would be completely ridiculous to take anyone to court over that. Your lawyer just sees a chance to grab a few baht, like the police would if you registered a complaint with them. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw