Boat fire off Koh Phi Phi – Chinese tourists injured

rooster59

All the reports claim an engine fire. Clearly both outboards are still hanging off the transom minus flames. This fire engulfed the front/centre of the boat by the look of it. Fuel tanks are under the floor but my guess is they were carrying extra 20 litre plastic food grade drums of fuel under the bow. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Crustyhk said:

All the reports claim an engine fire. Clearly both outboards are still hanging off the transom minus flames. This fire engulfed the front/centre of the boat by the look of it. Fuel tanks are under the floor but my guess is they were carrying extra 20 litre plastic food grade drums of fuel under the bow. 

Most likely cause is fuel leak onto hot engine. From the video one can see smoke coming from the stern of the vessel. 

Edited by whaleboneman
misread previous post

24 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Most likely cause is fuel leak onto hot engine. From the video one can see smoke coming from the stern of the vessel. 

petrol will not ignite on engine parts except for a very hot exposed exhaust manifold or turbo which on an outboard engine is extremely unlikely, diesel will not ignite at all

the most likely cause of this fire was a fuel leak in an enclosed space allowing a build up of fumes/vapour and ignited by either a lit cigarette or electrical fault -my guess is cigarette smoked by one of the crew - thrown over the side but blew back in and set fire to something coupled with a petrol leak.................BOOM

4 hours ago, Dave67 said:

If you look at any announcement made by TAT they always equate tourist numbers with making money. So if the ministry is doing that the operators will do the same. The Tourists that got burned alive in a minivan last year nothing has bee done apart for the initial regulation change and crackdown etc.I got a private minivan to Jomtien from Bangkok 2 weeks ago and there were no seatbelts in it. Unless there is a change at the top regarding tourism nothing will change

A change at the top is definitely required to fix problems, but not nessesarily in TAT, as that is actually a PR mechanism, right?

boat safety... marine department or navy?

road safety... police?

Etc etc

56 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

But surely you could have sat on your life jacket :shock1: 

It was before they gave every boatpassenger a lifejacket, and you're not allowed to take it off anyway.

The problem was the railing i had at my back, that hurt the most when bumping on the waves full speed.

But it's about time the passengerboats and jetski's get regulated...for safety and for noise pollution.

43 minutes ago, smedly said:

petrol will not ignite on engine parts except for a very hot exposed exhaust manifold or turbo which on an outboard engine is extremely unlikely, diesel will not ignite at all

the most likely cause of this fire was a fuel leak in an enclosed space allowing a build up of fumes/vapour and ignited by either a lit cigarette or electrical fault -my guess is cigarette smoked by one of the crew - thrown over the side but blew back in and set fire to something coupled with a petrol leak.................BOOM

You have no idea how many diesel fires I have dealt with. Atomized diesel or petrol does indeed burn readily when a hot surface and oxygen are present.

These boats have a bank of outboards on the rear transom, and petrol (not diesel) is generally stored in underfloor tanks to be fed to the outboards via a fuel line.

This fire obviously started from a leak either in the tank compartment or the line.

I've never seen an outboard catch fire. (not saying it has never happened).

Most boat fires I know of have inboard engines and fuel vapor builds up during refueling and can be ignited by an adjacent hot engine. (or a smoking idiot)

23 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

You have no idea how many diesel fires I have dealt with. Atomized diesel or petrol does indeed burn readily when a hot surface and oxygen are present.

that is not what I said about diesel............yes under certain conditions of course diesel is combustible but not from a fuel leak as it is not flammable like petrol unless it is leaked onto an already extremely hot surface or an existing fire even then you could find it difficult to ignite, you could not for example ignite diesel from a cigarette or even a cigarette lighter, petrol on the other hand you could very easily ignite as it is classed as a flammable liquid 

Edited by smedly

23 minutes ago, smedly said:

that is not what I said about diesel............yes under certain conditions of course diesel is combustible but not from a fuel leak as it is not flammable like petrol unless it is leaked onto an already extremely hot surface or an existing fire even then you could find it difficult to ignite, you could not for example ignite diesel from a cigarette or even a cigarette lighter, petrol on the other hand you could very easily ignite as it is classed as a flammable liquid 

You might want to google fuel leak on ships causing fire - one of the most common causes of fire when at sea.

19 hours ago, toughlove said:

There is some truth to that but thailand is a developing country. As soon as one problem surfaces every body says but what about the roads and what about Helmuts and what about about blah blah

Its not probable that throwing money at the hundreds of problems will turn it 1st world in a few years.

We are not really saying "throwing money at it" The regional offices get money from  the government for many safety projects,  roads, marine, safety standards. I did read the marine departments in Pattays, Samui, Puket and other tourist places that all boats for tourists must have safety checks, engine rooms, electrical wiring ect. But it is never implemented. We would just like some of the funds spent on this. These boats are always overloaded, where are the marine authoreties on checking the number on the boats when they leave. We all know, life is cheap here and these funds are already spoken for in other ways. Every one turns the blind eye. 

2 hours ago, Siameaze said:

Fire extinguishers, if on board and functioning, may have saved people and property.. will be interesting to see if this comes out in the investigation

Why would they put fire extinguishers on board when they can fit a fare-paying passenger instead?  31 on a boat that size is a joke, albeit a very bad joke.  No point in banging on about how they should be regulated as it will never happen, as long as crazy tourists cram themselves in the operators will continue to take their money.

3 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Why would they put fire extinguishers on board when they can fit a fare-paying passenger instead?  31 on a boat that size is a joke, albeit a very bad joke.  No point in banging on about how they should be regulated as it will never happen, as long as crazy tourists cram themselves in the operators will continue to take their money.

..and now there is one boat less out there they may have to cram more tourists in .

41 minutes ago, shaurene said:

We are not really saying "throwing money at it" The regional offices get money from  the government for many safety projects,  roads, marine, safety standards. I did read the marine departments in Pattays, Samui, Puket and other tourist places that all boats for tourists must have safety checks, engine rooms, electrical wiring ect. But it is never implemented. We would just like some of the funds spent on this. These boats are always overloaded, where are the marine authoreties on checking the number on the boats when they leave. We all know, life is cheap here and these funds are already spoken for in other ways. Every one turns the blind eye. 

they are checking tourist beaches for people smoking which is far ore important

11 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

prolly driver with a ciggie in his gob opened up engine cover....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

So you've never been to a drag strip when an engine blown up? Must have been the driver opening the hood with a "ciggie" in his mouth after the lights turn green...

As far as speed boats are concerned I am ignorant. Does anyone here know what the carry limit is in this case. 31 people seems too many to me and if that were true then the boat was under stress to begin with.

21 hours ago, toughlove said:

There is some truth to that but thailand is a developing country. As soon as one problem surfaces every body says but what about the roads and what about Helmuts and what about about blah blah

Its not probable that throwing money at the hundreds of problems will turn it 1st world in a few years.

Nope, don't agree. There is a marine authority in charge and they should be alert to safety etc. It is their independent responsibility and what happens on the roads or anywhere else is of no concern to them. They should be focused on their problems and deal with them just as the other sectors of society should do likewise.

22 hours ago, toughlove said:

That IS the problem - nobody is throwing money at it (Read as "investing in safety regulations and enforcement of the same")

3 hours ago, shaurene said:

These boats are not overloaded, numbers are checked daily before departure.

3 hours ago, Cranky said:

So what is the size of the boat?

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, toughlove said:

Don't think we should bring the Germans into this! :laugh: