Recommend a cheap Soundbar

giddyup

I want a soundbar for my old Panasonic Viera TV. The TV sounds slightly distorted now at higher volumes with a lot of bass, so I think one of the speakers is kaput, but don't want to spend a heap of money, maybe 3000 baht max. Lazada has plenty, but hard to know what's good and what's crap. If I plug a soundbar into the audio outlet on the TV will that mute the TV's sound?

1 hour ago, Lite Beer said:

This Samsung sounds pretty good and is cheap.

https://www.lazada.co.th/samsung-soundbar-80w-22-ch-hw-j250xt-black-2000408.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.4a36d00aI2OFCi

Do you have optical digital audio  outlet either on your TV or TV box, Android box etc?

No. My Panasonic is about 4 years old, pretty much a base model with one HDMI and only red and white audio output. Thanks for the heads up on the Samsung though.

Edited by giddyup

https://www.lazada.co.th/bluetooth-soundbar-soundbar-lp-08-hifi-mini-altavoz-usb-38929723.html?spm=a2o4m.prod.0.0.72a782eeYlDCWn

Have one for the projector in the living room and one in the bedroom that links via BT to my laptop.  Love em.  For 1000 baht its worth a try I thought.  Can use it by the pool at the beach whatever.  And, yes the tv speakers should mute if you plug into the aux out.

Edited by csabo

1 hour ago, csabo said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/bluetooth-soundbar-soundbar-lp-08-hifi-mini-altavoz-usb-38929723.html?spm=a2o4m.prod.0.0.72a782eeYlDCWn

Have one for the projector in the living room and one in the bedroom that links via BT to my laptop.  Love em.  For 1000 baht its worth a try I thought.  Can use it by the pool at the beach whatever.  And, yes the tv speakers should mute if you plug into the aux out.

Cheers, think I'll go for the Samsung, only 700 baht more.

Although not a soundbar but a 5.1 unit  i bought a microlab 5/6(bass driver) speaker unit years ago and it still rips. They do i believe still make these units which look like bose mini cubes and the sound is sensational. Around the cost you quote.i got mine in Pantip all those years ago but I'm sure i saw them  in Klong Thom. Plug and play . Highly recommended and they make a heap of stuff, you may see something else more to your liking ?

19 hours ago, giddyup said:

Cheers, think I'll go for the Samsung, only 700 baht more.

See if you can find the same model on Amazon before you buy.  At least you can read the reviews there.  I decided against the more expensive name brand models when I read how bad they were.  

14 minutes ago, csabo said:

See if you can find the same model on Amazon before you buy.  At least you can read the reviews there.  I decided against the more expensive name brand models when I read how bad they were.  

I did read a few reviews before ordering from Lazada, so good, some not so good. You aren't going to get audiophile quality for a soundbar that costs around $60, but for my old ears probably good enough.

Edit: Just checked Amazon, amazingly that Samsung sound bar is cheaper at Lazada than Amazon, but no reviews.

Edited by giddyup

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I did read a few reviews before ordering from Lazada, so good, some not so good. You aren't going to get audiophile quality for a soundbar that costs around $60, but for my old ears probably good enough.

Edit: Just checked Amazon, amazingly that Samsung sound bar is cheaper at Lazada than Amazon, but no reviews.

I hear you.  When I bought my projector I went into it thinking "pay more get more".  I started comparing what I was seeing on Aliexpress with identical but sometimes renamed products on Amazon and was amazed to see the reviews directly contradicted my beliefs.  In the end I got one for under $90 and absolutely love it but like your ears, my eyes may not expect much.  Good luck with your purchase.  Do report back how it sounds when you get it.

16 hours ago, jhonnie said:

Although not a soundbar but a 5.1 unit  i bought a microlab 5/6(bass driver) speaker unit years ago and it still rips. They do i believe still make these units which look like bose mini cubes and the sound is sensational. Around the cost you quote.i got mine in Pantip all those years ago but I'm sure i saw them  in Klong Thom. Plug and play . Highly recommended and they make a heap of stuff, you may see something else more to your liking ?

Thanks, but already ordered the Samsung before you posted.

13 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

That Samsung is the low end of the market but sounds really good.

I have one out in the garden and use it with my phone's bluetooth connection to listen to music.

Thanks, good to know.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Will27 said:

This Pioneer from Powerbuy is heavily discounted.

Anyone got any reviews or opinions on it?

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/pioneer-ซาวด์บาร์-21ch-สีดำ-รุ่น-sbx201-235731

According to the specifications it is a Speaker Bar that splits to two Satellite speakers and a Subwoofer giving you more flexibility of placement for "perfect sound optimisation."

As it has a subwoofer it would probably deliver a fuller sound than the Samsung product discussed earlier in this thread.

AUDIO FEATURES
  • Impedance: Satellite speaker 8Ω
  • Speaker Driver Subwoofer: 2 drivers, 75mm diameter
  • Satellite speaker: 2 drivers, 33mm and 55mm diameter
OPERATING FEATURES
  • Dolby® Digital, linear PCM compatible
  • DTS Studio SoundTM
  • Version 4.0 Bluetooth
CONNECTIONS
  • HDMI input: 1 HDMI input (Type A)
  • HDMI output (ARC): 1 HDMI output with Audio Return Channel (ARC, Type A)
  • Analog input: 3.5mm stereo jack
DIMENSIONS (WXHXD) & WEIGHT
  • Subwoofer: 660 x 96 x 90mm (including stand)
  • Satellite speaker: 150 x 96 x 113 mm (including stand and bottom plate)
  • Weight 3.5 kg
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 12:33 PM, Lite Beer said:

This Samsung sounds pretty good and is cheap.

https://www.lazada.co.th/samsung-soundbar-80w-22-ch-hw-j250xt-black-2000408.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.4a36d00aI2OFCi

Do you have optical digital audio  outlet either on your TV or TV box, Android box etc?

I have that same soundbar, from Tesco via Lazada.

Works fine with an optical connection from my Samsung Smart Tv.

Around 1,500nht after discounts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 11:04 AM, Jai Dee said:

According to the specifications it is a Speaker Bar that splits to two Satellite speakers and a Subwoofer giving you more flexibility of placement for "perfect sound optimisation."

As it has a subwoofer it would probably deliver a fuller sound than the Samsung product discussed earlier in this thread.

The pioneer is 5900 baht, the Samsung 1600 baht.