Is there a word for one time enjoyable experiences that you don't want to ever repeat?

Jingthing

For example, you try a new dish at a restaurant. You enjoyed experiencing it but know right away you would never want to repeat it.

Similar to a new place you visited.

A new sex partner.

A  new person you met and talked to.

Really pretty much any new experience in life.

The commonality here is a new, ONE TIME thing that you enjoyed, but realized you never want to do it again, right after or during the experience.

Really the opposite of something new that you hated which presumably you wouldn't want to do either.

I'm not aware of a word (or phrase) for that.

For such sex experiences, the phrase is NOT one night stand. There are one night stands that meet the definition of enjoying but not wishing to ever repeat, but only a subset of them. 

I assume what I'm describing is a common enough human experience.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Is this a game to while away the hours? Or do you have a genuine reason for asking? If the latter, please enlighten us as this request requires context to maintain the interest.

(There is no word that I'm aware of. I'd consult my Scrabble dictionary, but the police might arrest me on some 1935 gaming law.)

I also don' think there is a word for this in English or even really a commonly used phrase.

Genuine reason? Curiosity, dude.

It's a feeling I have sometimes and I assume many others do too. English is such a rich language and I find it odd that a word has never evolved to describe that feeling. 

Edited by Jingthing

Here's a related type thing that I also don't know a word for.

You have a wonderful new experience, let's say a dish at a restaurant, and you feel at the time, want to definitely try that again, maybe even crave it.

Go back and it's just not as delicious. Either the dish is different or you are. Probably you. Doesn't always happen but common enough. 

Relating this to first time sexual experiences -- it is well documented by science that first time partner sexual experiences are perceived biologically differently than repeats. Maybe related to how some people are "addicted" to novelty in different aspects of their lives. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

One night stand...

Nope.

Many different personal responses to one night stands.

For example ...

Hated it, never again

Loved it, want more, the other person does or doesn't

Enjoyed it but only want the one time with that person (only that type would fit)

Ok JT, tough one but there was one experience that I had in college that might fit your definition and in one word: cocaine. 

Incredible euphoria for about 30 minutes, followed by high anxiety and sleeplessness.  I knew I didn't want to do it again because it seemed to be something that one could easily get addicted to.  Besides, as a poor college kid, I had better things to spend my limited income on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nope.

Many different personal responses to one night stands.

For example ...

Hated it, never again

Loved it, want more, the other person does or doesn't

Enjoyed it but only want the one time with that person (only that type would fit)

It was my response... So it stands :)

I'm racking my brain here. Not too difficult coming up with terms for a final negative experience, such as:

That xyz experience was a real:

an Alamo

a Masada

a Col. Custer...etc.

This is weak, but perhaps:   xyz experience was a real blue moon. As in 'once in a blue moon'. Or 'gone but not forgotten'.   'A once in a lifetime'?

Edited by mamypoko

On 2/13/2018 at 7:07 AM, Jingthing said:

I find it odd that a word has never evolved to describe that feeling. 

Many thoughts, concepts, feelings can't be adequately described in one word. Sometimes it takes a multi-word expression.

Depending on the context, maybe:

5a839b82777ac_onenight.jpg.e2c4938bbab3133cbce15f60ab300abf.jpg    5a839bd5e2616_oneofthosethings.jpg.40e9687a6c1fc65624a5edf5cda8ed55.jpg

5a839c27adeab_beenthere.jpg.50233937e25cf64946c67c6870c405ad.jpg

• Like 2