New family Motorcycle - Questions

phutoie2

Just purchased a new Honda wave 110 and have a couple of q's. It's been registered in the wife's name, but myself and no doubt others will be riding it. I noticed the compulsory insurance is in the wife's name, is this a problem if others ride it?. We have regular police blocks in town checking these things, licence, tax, helmet etc. The wave is 2017 model and I asked the man who delivered it what type of fuel to put in, he said 95, the hand book says 95 or 91. I have a trusty old Honda lawnmower that runs on 91. We tend to buy our juice from the local mom/pop shop, as the garage is a few clicks down the road. Cheers.

Others will have more info on your questions, but here's my take ....

The basic compulsory insurance in Thailand is to cover third parties - and so long as the rider has a valid licence, AND you chose the option to cover any rider when arranging the insurance, you are ok to ride.

The Wave will run fine on 91, but some people use 95 (me included) as we believe it helps the bike run better and so reduce wear.  There's several threads on fuel, as it's not a simple issue, but I go for the best grade I can get, as at 100 mpg and a 1 gallon tank, the cost difference is tiny.

Have fun and be proud to be the only person in town wearing a helmet.

I was never given the option to choose to compulsory  insurance to cover ANY rider, in the land transport registry office they just took the money and handed it over after a few minutes (I always thought it was automatically applied to any rider as it is 3rd party) - this is for a small scooter under 125cc.

I recommend using the gas station for petrol, you never know if rubbish (or water or oil etc.) gets mixed up in those bottles alongside the roads when they fill them, it's okay on emergency I guess but I rather use the gas station for regular fill up.

As for 91 or 95, they sell these as Gashol in Thailand, both of these have 10% ethanol (or whatever alcohol they use), the difference is only in RON, one is 91 the other 95, there is no extra cleaning agent or premium quality of anything goes into 95 than there isn't in 91 for the usual Gashol 95 and Gashol 91. So for high compression sport engines you must use 95, but for low compression can use either (specially with Fuel Injection) - I personally believe low comprehension engines should use 91 and that is what I use.

However, the gas stations sometime offer high quality premium products like V-Power of Shell and so on, these products have extra additives and cleaning agents and products added, and their price reflect that, 33.xx as oppose to 28.xx baht - these come only in 95 RON. But the normal 95 RON at the price of a few stangs over 91 RON has no extra additive or agent, in fact from what I read it has less actual benzine/gasoline so it can stand higher pressure up to 95 RON.... 

I have tried all of the above on my old scooter  FI 125cc with 9.6-1 compression and found zero difference in anything, performance/consumption/etc. - the one thing I could not find so far is 100% Gasoline/Benzine 95 RON (not Gashol). They say it is still offered by some companies but when I ask I get blank faces - you know, the one Thais are very good at ...!!! lol

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

the one thing I could not find so far is 100% Gasoline/Benzine 95 RON (not Gashol). They say it is still offered by some companies but when I ask I get blank faces - you know, the one Thais are very good at ...!!! lol

Even though not worth trying for a Wave (millions run on 91gasohol incl. mine):

100% Benzene is available at major brand name stations.

PTT has it at many (but not all) stations. Currently costa about 35 Baht/liter.

Caltex also carries Benzene (at least in Phuket). As mentioned, just use gasohol 91 for a scooter. 95 (or Benzene) is a pointless waste of money with these little engines.  The guy you asked has no clue. It probably even has a sticker near the fuel tank opening saying 91.

About the compulsory third party insurance: it covers any rider of the bike, not just the one who bought it. It does not cover damage to the bike itself.

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

in fact from what I read it has less actual benzine/gasoline so it can stand higher pressure up to 95 RON....

95 has less gasoline than 91 - 555

The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating (igniting). In broad terms, fuels with a higher octane rating are used in high performance gasoline engines that require higher compression ratios.

And my 1600cc Nissan - year 2001 - recommends 95 and it is not a high compression engine. More at play here. Google is your friend

9 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

95 has less gasoline than 91 - 555

The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating (igniting). In broad terms, fuels with a higher octane rating are used in high performance gasoline engines that require higher compression ratios.

And my 1600cc Nissan - year 2001 - recommends 95 and it is not a high compression engine. More at play here. Google is your friend

That's what I read on Google your friend, they replace some gasoline on 95 RON (well, I guess very small amount) with other stuff to make it stand the higher pressure. In high pressure engines the amount of extra power they get due to higher pressure totally outweighs the small amount of gasoline that is been replaced, hence much more power on those engines.

But on a low compression engine, no benefit what-so-ever, if anything, the opposite. Some TVF member was saying on another thread you even get bad burning/combustion using 95 in low compression engines, but I think the difference is so small that manufacturers tested and decided you can use either, on my user manual it says 91 or 95, on the gas tank it says 91....

If you are worried about legality worth noting that even if you have a 5 year Thai licence to drive a car you still need to get a motorcycle licence.

I haven't got around to this yet as the longest trip I make is 5 kilometers over country roads where there are no police check points. Will be applying for one soon though as thinking about getting something bigger.

We have had our Honda Wave 8 years now, trouble free. Only ever used 91 gasahol, anything else is unnecessary, was getting 204mpg when new, haven't checked recently, but seems the same. Always starts first prod ever after 6 months none-use. 

Never heard of any cop wanting anything but a bike-up-key and (once) the hand book??? and any accident is your fault anyway so what difference does it make. Just don't have an accident!!

15 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

the hand book says 95 or 91.

People have them all over the world. In Indonesia the "normal" gasoline/petrol is 88 octane and premium is 90. So 91 is OK. I would buy a gas container and fill up the bike and the can when I go to the gas station and decant at home. Unless there are teenagers with another bike at home! Use local mom and pop still if more convenient. If they have bad gas no one will buy from them? They might sell E85 as 91 but... 

Thanks for all the response, all good stuff. I live a few miles from a large town on Route 21 and every Monday the Bib have a checkpoint in the morning, it's probably the only time that the locals wear a crash helmet when going to the market. The BIB  used to do the pee tests for ya ba, my wife's brother was full of it, and had a nice 3 month holiday in Chon Buri prison. Second offence, first time just a fine      -plonker. 

Honda Wave runs on anything except diesel.

Not sure why you think they put water in the bottled stuff, water and gasahol separate out, which can be easily seen through the glass.

Locals would soon stop buying it anyway, which is where they get their business, we used it a few times while touring, never a problem....Just a little expensive.

I went to school with a lad who bought a Cub and he was getting 150+ mpg and the Wave has fuel injection, so 200 sounds about right. Our Filano does 120mpg and that has a rubber band and a bigger engine, which we tend to ride harder.

I would suggest buying some supplemental insurance as the compulsory insurance covers very little. I have a couple scooters and a big bike. I use 95 in the big bike and 91 in the scooters. The Honda Airblade is 11 years old and still runs great on 91.

I went to school with a lad who bought a Cub and he was getting 150+ mpg and the Wave has fuel injection, so 200 sounds about right. Our Filano does 120mpg and that has a rubber band and a bigger engine, which we tend to ride harder.

Are those American or English gallons ?
I thought Thai vehicles measure speed and distance in kilometres...but accept that some with digital readout could switch standards.

Are those American or English gallons ?
I thought Thai vehicles measure speed and distance in kilometres...but accept that some with digital readout could switch standards.

I doubt if the bikes in question are that advanced to have switchable clocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, papa al said:

mpg x 0.425

gives 

km/liter

and from wikipedia

The imperial (UK) gallon, now defined as exactly 4.54609 liters

The US gallon is legally defined as 231 cubic inches, which is exactly 3.785411784 liters

and

https://www.wikihow.com/Convert-MPG-to-Liters-per-100km

I'm no good at mathematics  so my brain hurts now !

18 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

I doubt if the bikes in question are that advanced to have switchable clocks.

Yes that's why I thought it strange to be quoting Miles Per Gallon  for bikes that measure speed and distance in Kilometers and where petrol (gas for our American cousins) is sold in liters.

Why not say the Honda wave can get 70Km per Liter  then we don't have to do all the mathematical acrobatics.

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When using a website with international users you should just stick to the metric system, and stay away from outdated units like miles, gallons, pounds, stones and so on

The whole world has changed, except for a couple of Stone Age holdouts, or those who flat out refuse to change for no other reason than they are Arrogant and Ignorant

Archived