Dozens arrested over scams

rooster59

Dozens arrested over scams

By KITTIPONG MANEERIT 
THE NATION

bd75e035648230ecb1a70625becb653f.jpeg

CAMBODIAN and Thai police raided three places in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville on Friday day and arrested six Taiwanese, 26 Thais and five Cambodians for allegedly being involved in a call center scam.

The Thai side of the joint operation was led by Pol Maj-General Surachet Hakparn, deputy Tourism Police commander and chief operation of the anti-electronic scam centre. The operation was launched after it was found that many Thais had fallen victim to call-centre gangs operating in Cambodia with their losses estimated to be about Bt100 million.

5907bbc8ed8b19b491ef33f120d12bed.jpeg

The first raid was carried out at an abandoned hospital in the heart of Phnom Penh and two Cambodians were arrested along with computers, telephone signal equipment and lists of names.

The second crackdown was held at a luxurious rented house, where four Taiwanese, 25 Thais and three Cambodians were rounded up. Confiscated were computers, more lists and other equipment.

b202724c0d822d3fc489aa343feeeb5f.jpeg

The third raid was conducted at a house in the seaside province of Sihanoukville, where two Taiwanese and a Thai were arrested, two of them under arrest warrants from Thailand.

Police said that some of the detained Thais admitted they had committed their crimes voluntarily, while others said they had been drugged, detained and forced. 

6b1a3fc29f4ef052019a56ac42d80915.jpeg

6db9c5d482134101d8b6689896caed0c.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30339067

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-17

On 2/17/2018 at 8:45 AM, Get Real said:

Everytime it´s numbers rounding up to 100M Baht or more. I find it amazing that there are still so many people that falls for these scams. The learning curve seems to crasch in the same speed like the cars on Thai roads.

Only 90 days ago our neighbor (female Thai lawyer) tried desperately to convince my Thai son and his wife to attend a meeting in CM to invest big money in 10% a month return guaranteed scheme.  Son and his wife refused to listen

Two days later my DILs mother and her two sisters (all from Sukothai) turned up to in invest (small amounts). The neighbor lawyer somehow got their Line numbers and called them to come quickly.

They arrived, son and his wife tried to convince them it was another pyramid  scam (in fact they don't even understand what pyramid scam means) then the lawyer lady pushed them to get angry with my son and his wife on the basis they are not fair, they didn't share the opportunity to make big money.

Never ends, naivety and unfortunate ignorance still rules the roost. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:07 AM, rooster59 said:

6 Taiwanese, 26 Thais and 5 Cambodians.

26 Thais says it all. Congratulations, Thais are the real masters of scams.

The few Taiwanese and the Cambodians are mere puppets.

• Like 2

"Police said that some of the detained Thais admitted they had committed their crimes voluntarily, while others said they had been drugged, detained and forced."

Or:

Police said that some of the detained Thais never admitted they had committed their crimes voluntarily, while others said they had never been drugged, detained and forced.

At least,. no foreigners were taken for a ride, because of their English skills. 

36 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Only 90 days ago our neighbor (female Thai lawyer) tried desperately to convince my Thai son and his wife to attend a meeting in CM to invest big money in 10% a month return guaranteed scheme.  Son and his wife refused to listen

Two days later my DILs mother and her two sisters (all from Sukothai) turned up to in invest (small amounts). The neighbor lawyer somehow got their Line numbers and called them to come quickly.

They arrived, son and his wife tried to convince them it was another pyramid  scam (in fact they don't even understand what pyramid scam means) then the lawyer lady pushed them to get angry with my son and his wife on the basis they are not fair, they didn't share the opportunity to make big money.

Blame the educational system for all. They are the ones to blame and it will take light years to see any changes. 

7 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

Blame the educational system for all. They are the ones to blame and it will take light years to see any changes. 

What about the farang fools who have been coming in droves since over 5 decades, from an exalted and superior education system, to marry uneducated village girls half their age and with nothing in common, then get scammed out of everything and finally become so bitter that they spend the rest of their lives consumed in their hatred of all thais? How many light years will it take them to understand?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

26 Thais says it all. Congratulations, Thais are the real masters of scams.

The few Taiwanese and the Cambodians are mere puppets.

More likely the Taiwanese were the brains of the operation and the thais and Cambodians were just the cheap Labour :smile:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, saakura said:

What about the farang fools who have been coming in droves since over 5 decades, from an exalted and superior education system, to marry uneducated village girls half their age and with nothing in common, then get scammed out of everything and finally become so bitter that they spend the rest of their lives consumed in their hatred of all thais? How many light years will it take them to understand?

I'm married, my wife's 11 years younger, but our relationship is based on love, not my ATM card. Unfortunately, are too many foreigners very naive when it comes to relationships with bar girls.

My wife is a farmer's daughter but she's never worked in a bar. Otherwise I wouldn't have married her. It's so easy to understand that you can't get the bars out of their brains, so these ladies are so fed up with men that they can't give real love to only one. And a lot of bar-girls take drugs to be able to stay with sometimes real monsters who want them to do the most perverted things. 

Of course can such a relationship never change into one filled with love, because it's already dead at the beginning. Then buying more and more goods, houses, cars, etc.. is like trying to stop a fire with benzine. It will never stop that single men come to Thailand and fall in love with the girl, the weather and the country, it's more a whole package, not just the girl. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, saakura said:

Generally, they would be sat in the house alone watching daytime TV with miserable weather outside 

Or go to Thailand, get a young hot wife half your age, relax in tropical weather and cheap living expenses 

Which should you prefer? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Every single day my wife receives phone calls from persons unknown offering the get rich quick schemes of a lifetime. If she answers my wife still gets charged for the phone call. So whoever calls is in a win, win situation. Now when my wife receives calls from numbers she doesn`t recognise, she doesn`t answer, but annoying just the same.

I receive bundles of scammer emails that most end up in my spam box and a few in my inbox every day. Such as from some member of African royalty offering to send me $26 million or from a beautiful 25 year old blond Russian model with a body to die for who claims to have seen me online and wants to fly over and marry me immediately. I treat these as an irritation never to be taken as genuine offers. Some people that get sucked into these scams are the greedy who think they can gain something for nothing, they probably still believe in Father Christmas.

So I have no sympathies for the gullible fools that fall for these scams.

1 minute ago, cyberfarang said:

Every single day my wife receives phone calls from persons unknown offering the get rich quick schemes of a lifetime. If she answers my wife still gets charged for the phone call. So whoever calls is in a win, win situation. Now when my wife receives calls from numbers she doesn`t recognise, she doesn`t answer, but annoying just the same.

I receive bundles of scammer emails that most end up in my spam box and a few in my inbox every day. Such as from some member of African royalty offering to send me $26 million or from a beautiful 25 year old blond Russian model with a body to die for who claims to have seen me online and wants to fly over and marry me immediately. I treat these as an irritation never to be taken as genuine offers. Some people that get sucked into these scams are the greedy who think they can gain something for nothing, they probably still believe in Father Christmas.

So I have no sympathies for the gullible fools that fall for these scams.

I don't understand why she has to pay for calls received 

When boiler room Scams call me I waste their time and it costs nothing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, speedtripler said:

More likely the Taiwanese were the brains of the operation and the thais and Cambodians were just the cheap Labour :smile:

How about: the Taiwanese had the cash to start the scams, the Thais had the language and social skills to scam their fellow countrymen, and the Cambodians did the handiwork around the house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedtripler said:

I don't understand why she has to pay for calls received 

When boiler room Scams call me I waste their time and it costs nothing

Can`t be bothered to explain. Do your own research and believe me it`s happening. If receiving calls from an unknown number, best not to answer it.

5 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Can`t be bothered to explain. Do your own research and believe me it`s happening. If receiving calls from an unknown number, best not to answer it.

I still answer them and it costs me nothing to have a chat with them about my chronic haemoirds 

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Interesting about you saying not fair and didn't share the opportunity to make big money.

6 hours ago, speedtripler said:

I still answer them and it costs me nothing to have a chat with them about my chronic haemoirds 

I offer them my two goats at a fair price for group sex, and use some weird madeup accent.  I still get calls occasionally even to my cell phone as they pass the number around and around to different scam centers

One of the later scams here in the USA is some group calling allegedly from your alma mata university student mentoring association.  They ask if you would like to donate to help younger students.  The number shows from the university office, but it is spoofed.  So some way or another they found an online resume, got a phone number and call. 

23 hours ago, scorecard said:

Can I invest in this scheme through the lawyer, 10% sounds like a great return, if I will ever get my return on investment...lol, on 2nd thought, better go and buy that bar 555

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Can I invest in this scheme through the lawyer, 10% sounds like a great return, if I will ever get my return on investment...lol, on 2nd thought, better go and buy that bar 555

Bar - good return, really?

Plus I can imagine owning / operating a bar would be total smooth sailing, never any problems of any sort.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sure, give me your number and I'll pass it to the lawyer, she's educated, excellent English, but very bossy and she lacks ethics. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Bar - good return, really?

Plus I can imagine owning / operating a bar would be total smooth sailing, never any problems of any sort.

I'm told if I invest 1.6 million in a bar, I can get about a million after I sell it in a year, sounds like a great return

55 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sure, give me your number and I'll pass it to the lawyer, she's educated, excellent English, but very bossy and she lacks ethics. 

Maybe I can give her a job in the bar to run it ?

Edited by 4MyEgo

12 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I offer them my two goats at a fair price for group sex, and use some weird madeup accent.  I still get calls occasionally even to my cell phone as they pass the number around and around to different scam centers

Pretend you're senile and can't find your bank book and tell them your looking  for it and go have a shit 

If they're still there when you get back, say hello, who's this? 

Remind me, what were we talking about again? 

And then say, Aha yes yes, 

I think i know where its at

Go and have a coffee 

Come back and if there still on the line say hello, Steven is that you? 

I forgot to buy milk, will you get some on the way home? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

She sounds  like my kind of woman

Send her over, I'll knock the bossy out of her

The lack of ethics is actually a good thing :biggrin: