Police investigate as dogs rescued from Chiang Mai breeder

webfact

Police investigate as dogs rescued from Chiang Mai breeder

By Watcharapong Jingkhaojai 
The Nation

2e3097666aace040415524fc1c095587.jpeg

Three pitbulls and three pomeranian dogs, allegedly kept in “cruel” conditions, were rescued from a breeding farm in Chiang Mai’s Hang Dong district on Saturday afternoon.

The move followed a complaint to police about alleged “animal cruelty” filed by Santisook Dog and Cat Rescue Foundation co-founder Namfon Hilgers.

0bd38991a95bde475da2e6029c3499ca.jpeg

Namfon also led the Hang Dong Police to inspect the farm in Tambon San Phakwan. Reported owner Santi Reunkhamnoi, 25, was not at home.

e68650c787acd29bc20e5213c3010966.jpeg

The officers found six thin dogs in narrow concrete-block cages, which police impounded pending investigation.

Namfon offered to temporarily take care of them at the foundation and said she would return the dogs when the farm improved the facility to be more appropriate. Santi’s elder brother and homeowner Sanya, 42, agreed to the offer.

Namfon said her foundation had received complaints about the farm and so stepped in to help the animals. She said her foundation is now taking care of 250 dogs and 150 cats.

8de715da2fd4d708a828840be251a9ed.jpeg

9e97a4a9b33133a4ba1f18873ef1b4d7.jpeg

a125f7aa87fc48991ce4114494a7e8ed.jpeg

13af65eec398c2f017ef4f0b17c673a4.jpeg

0a21a055fd8d5fa70cf217896c4ed6f7.jpeg

e40c293c7bb7076dedbbc25636d0f1ec.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30339147

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-19
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

What is the point of having a big dog here no place to walk and let them run. 

In our moobaan we have plenty space to walk dogs, nice perfect parks with ponds and fields...but they rarely walk their dogs there...i've seen at least 40 husky puppies being walked when they were young, now 2 years later i rarely see them which means they stay home all day or are gone.

What i find more sick to see is that many Western race dogs in Thailand have hip disease from overbreeding...Especially huskies and beagles and golden retrievers have that..poor dogs must suffer from a lot of pain all day from that.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know how to report these farms.... is there a phone number... or do I call some dog rescues place?  Because I don't want to get involved with the police or be know as the person who reported the farm.. in case of likely negative repercussions.

I ask as I know of 2 small dog 'farms' in my area that I am concerned about. One maybe worse than the one in this article as the dogs are kept in a concrete shed with no windows and live in darkness... the smell when I cycle past it is disgusting and I can hear all the small dogs barking inside.  Another farm is larger, but this too stinks and I have heard the owner beating the dogs once.. with the dogs screaming and wining.  I have no proof the farms are cruel or abusing animals, but I would feel better if someone would go and check them out to make sure the dogs were OK.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Does anyone know how to report these farms.... is there a phone number... or do I call some dog rescues place?  Because I don't want to get involved with the police or be know as the person who reported the farm.. in case of likely negative repercussions.

I ask as I know of 2 small dog 'farms' in my area that I am concerned about. One maybe worse than the one in this article as the dogs are kept in a concrete shed with no windows and live in darkness... the smell when I cycle past it is disgusting and I can hear all the small dogs barking inside.  Another farm is larger, but this too stinks and I have heard the owner beating the dogs once.. with the dogs screaming and wining.  I have no proof the farms are cruel or abusing animals, but I would feel better if someone would go and check them out to make sure the dogs were OK.

My suggestion would be to find an animal shelter or resque organisation in your neighborhood. They might be interested.

Don't do too much yourself directly as you might step on the wrong toes (remember, there is no justice system in Thailand).

• Thanks 1

Pit bulls should be banned...a dangerous dog that no-one needs. I saw a lightly built woman walk two of these monsters around my Moo ban on leads, but if they decided to go crazy and attack someone she would just be dragged along the street or would just let go whilst they kill whoever. Just a dog for vain macho scumbags. 

Edited by Sir Dude

On 2/19/2018 at 9:12 AM, brucegoniners said:

They shouldn’t give them back. And these people should be in prison.

maybe a Thousand baht fine each animal they find not kept well to standard............hard to prove cruelty in this country.:sad: