"We can't stand it any longer!" Three aunties hold press conference on sidewalk outside house at center of illegal parking drama

webfact

7 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Numerous properties in the USA are posted with signs stating "Private Parking. Unauthorized parked cars will be towed."

And listing the name and phone number of the tow company.

Tow truck drivers love zooming over and towing illegally parked cars as they collect outrageous fees when the owners come to claim their cars.

I'm surprised a simple solution like these has never been attempted.

It should be attempted.  However in Thailand "quality people" (rich SOBs) drive cars and park illegally.

Edited by heybruce

3 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Numerous properties in the USA are posted with signs stating "Private Parking. Unauthorized parked cars will be towed."

And listing the name and phone number of the tow company.

Tow truck drivers love zooming over and towing illegally parked cars as they collect outrageous fees when the owners come to claim their cars.

it's a great business 

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Along with everyone else who has to rely on any enforcement in the traffic arena.

The difference being in this case was that the ladies were the permanent victims of the lackadaisical traffic enforcement

They were not taking advantage of it as many others do, as can be seen from this thread

They have my admiration for no other reason than their perseverance over such a long length of time

How many hours did they spend waiting during market hours to either get out or into their property

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Media1 said:

Nutters should be charged and also.treated for.violant outbursts..Once again RTP fail to do.there job

IF the RTP had done their job in the first place and enforced the ban on Commercial Enterprise (Market) on residential land and also enforced the law against illegal parking in front of a driveway there would be no cause frustration these ladies encountered.... 

.....So yes......part of your post is agreeable, but for all the wrong reasons!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

It should be attempted.  However in Thailand "quality people" (rich SOBs) drive cars and park illegally.

A comment with evident bias against those of wealthier means...   

There is a significant proportion of 'drivers' and 'riders' in Thailand who abandon their vehicles, cars, pickups and motorcycles with careless disregard of anyone else around them.

It has nothing to do with wealth and everything to do with the lackadaisical attitudes of law enforcement and the general indifference of the populace towards each other unless directly known (at which point a ridiculous overbearing level of Kraeng-Jai takes hold).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is a significant proportion of 'drivers' and 'riders' in Thailand who abandon their vehicles, cars, pickups and motorcycles with careless disregard of anyone else around them.

It has nothing to do with wealth and everything to do with the lackadaisical attitudes of law enforcement and the general indifference of the populace towards each other unless directly known (at which point a ridiculous overbearing level of Kraeng-Jai takes hold).

My bias is against people who consider themselves above the law.  In Thailand, and many other places, those people are the rich.

Motorbikes can be moved without the key.  Cars can not.  In Thailand only the people of means have cars.

11 hours ago, z42 said:

So according to this the reports of illegal parking being the cause of not getting their dying relative to hospital on time are BS, and aside from inconvenience i fail to see how they are claiming the moral high ground after smashing that motor up.

The pickup owner should get a standard ticket, and these morons a VERY hefty fine for criminal damage

If the parking penalties are anything like other motoring penalties they will not be a deterrent,

They should be towed and the car impounded until they pay the fine and towing charge.

2 minutes ago, heybruce said:

My bias is against people who consider themselves above the law.  In Thailand, and many other places, those people are the rich.

Motorbikes can be moved without the key.  Cars can not.  In Thailand only the people of means have cars.

I'm not sure this 'careless parking' issue is from people who consider themselves above the law... it's just by people who simply 'don't consider'....  i.e. they don't consider the law or that they may be inconveniencing anyone at all.... Their attitude to anything is a perpetual 'so what!'....

'People of Means' is rather vague, ultimately anyone with a Job can get a car in Thailand... looking at how consistently the traffic laws are broken by both drivers of four-wheeled and riders of two-wheeled vehicles in Thailand it is clearly apparent that no one regardless of financial wealth or social status has any regard for Traffic Law's whatsoever.

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Indeed. A significant proportion of drivers and riders drive and ride with a general indifference to everyone else. So they park with the same attitude!

And all because the police are indifferent to enforcing the law or anything else that might bother them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF the RTP had done their job in the first place and enforced the ban on Commercial Enterprise (Market) on residential land and also enforced the law against illegal parking in front of a driveway there would be no cause frustration these ladies encountered.... 

.....So yes......part of your post is agreeable, but for all the wrong reasons!

This is still really an issue of proper zoning......the local government or whomever is responsible for allowing the markets should make it right by banning all but residential development in this area.  I wonder if the parties who bought this land and built rather expensive homes on it had any idea when the nearby property was sold for commercial purposes. If these markets are the normal morning and night markets without proper buildings on them someone obviously is greasing the wheels for themselves.  The only real solution is to turn the commercial properties back to residential only.  

I have parking very often right outside my gates  i cannot even get my bike out . i cannot park my car in my drive  if by chance i do then i cant get out . reason the road is narrow . saying that it is annoying but i never had a problem asking if they can move it so i can get out . No point in losing temper only leads to more problems . In general the lack of common sense prevails 

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Thai's don't actually want to  find solutions and fix problems. It's just not something they enjoy and all the stress and conflict isn't worth it for them. There's no shortage of simple solutions any reasonable person could envision but implementing them would take time and effort.  

51 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

I have parking very often right outside my gates  i cannot even get my bike out . i cannot park my car in my drive  if by chance i do then i cant get out . reason the road is narrow . saying that it is annoying but i never had a problem asking if they can move it so i can get out . No point in losing temper only leads to more problems . In general the lack of common sense prevails 

That's a fine short term solution to save sanity but over the long term that's how we get 3rd world dysfunction messes like in Thailand. Fixing the problem now and enduring the struggle is an investment for the future.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thian said:

Well those owners of that estate are also lowlife's, look at all the foreclosure signs at that hi-so front gate. They have a huge house it seems so why don't they pay the bills like all decent people?

Here in a moobaan where many thai lawyers and tv=stars live they drive the latest model German cars, several at one house but they have no money to paint the wall around their house which looks totally crap....

Many of them bought the landplot at both sides of their estate and leave it as a grassfield so they won't get any neighbours.

Even hi-so expensive moobaans can have lowclass thai with barking dogs or nasty kids screaming all day. And there's nothing you can do about it.

i dont see too much upkeep of buildings in thailand

41 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

i dont see too much upkeep of buildings in thailand

The trick is to buy a house in a brand new moobaan which will be developed for next years...once the developer pulls out it decays fast...then it's time to move to a new one.

All the common things like parks are built as cheap as possible and won't last long...when the developer leaves there's no money to maintain it...but as long as they still can sell new houses they will keep it all nice.

15 hours ago, z42 said:

So according to this the reports of illegal parking being the cause of not getting their dying relative to hospital on time are BS, and aside from inconvenience i fail to see how they are claiming the moral high ground after smashing that motor up.

The pickup owner should get a standard ticket, and these morons a VERY hefty fine for criminal damage

You must be the only foreigner with a functioning frontal lobe here..

Yes your 100 % correct..These mad batters need straight jackets

12 hours ago, ebean001 said:

Parking is a huge problem in all of Thailand. When there were few cars all was ok. Now many cars but planning cannot keep up. The change happened too fast. Now it seems like a forgone conclusion...there will never be enough parking. The market would probably make additional vendor stalls before adding parking space.

planning haha lol

Quote of the day

It's bad attitude The car owner feel they are superior - a relic from the old days when only the rich owned cars - and they feel that their comfort takes first place over any rights that the home owners have - I support the house residents - I would buy a wheel lock and make them pay 5000 Baht for its removal - that would put them off parking there again

• Like 1

15 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

I live in the area and understand the lady's problems. The markets benefit at their expense and refuse to take proper steps to prevent parking and other issues they create. As to the damage, that was extreme, but years of frustration can cause irrational actions. The local government benefits from the markets so no action is ever taken against them. Maybe the exposure the media has given this incident will force some action. 

"Benefits"! Let's call a spade a spade. I am told by Thais that the police makes the roun and collect fees to operate. Guess on what side they are going to be. Mind you in the west, it is a bit like this, but the mafia (the govn't) has the ressource to hire people to do the different jobS. And they are well paid by the people! AKA "us"!

Edited by EnlightenedAtheist
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Coastrider said:

It would help if Thais took the time to read...I saw a big sign and thought no one lived there. I used to ask my Ex if she could read, because they look but dont read.. I would be pissed too if this happened to me all the time, as I am sure most people on her would,

The rest are Bullshitters.  Go girls go..show true thainess.

True Thainess ?  :clap2:

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Media1 said:

You must be the only foreigner with a functioning frontal lobe here..

Yes your 100 % correct..These mad batters need straight jackets

I wonder how your frontal lobe would function after a number of years of repeatedly being unable to enter or leave your property when you want because access has been illegally blocked by someone's careless parking.

I'm not saying that property damage is right, but in this case, it is an understandable response. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd hazard a guess and suggest that as this is one of the most common ways of preventing people from illegally parking in front of your driveway that this was tried, tested and failed right at the very beginning. 

If someone is selfish enough to park blocking the driveway of someone's house with so many signs up they are brazen enough to move the cones. 

It is not uncommon for houses with such gates to have security guards - I wonder if this house had guards, but it would seem that perhaps not as it would be the guard tasked with preventing people from parking and blocking access. 

This is a messy situation, but only so because people are forced to take the law into their own hands after the Police fail to act, the knock-on effect of Police Inaction is that people develop a sense of entitlement. 

This sense of entitlement as manifested itself into a full-blown market on residential land where people believe they have the right, that they have done nothing wrong and with it the people who park anywhere they want because 'they are just going to be a few minutes'.... All of it, the whole issue because the Police have failed to enforce the law, even after lawsuits have been filed and won against the Market Owners for their Illegal Market on residential land. 

I’ll fess up and confess I don’t even know where this happened. But one thing I’ll say is maybe it neither of their faults. 

The people making money at these markets, or renting out the spaces, it would seem they would need to provide a reasonable amount of parking. Im only half asserting this I’m not going to bear down and argue the point with folks, just food for thought. 

• Haha 1

On 2/21/2018 at 7:40 AM, Birdbrain said:

The aunties should buy a forklift and move any car out the way and dump the car in the middle of the road.

Problem solved.

Even cheaper a mechanics wheeled floor jack under the diff, turn sideways and drop ..... now its someone elses problem.....

Edited by Pukehina1

I have a similar problem. Neighbours park both sides of the cul de sac making it impossible for anything wider than a motorbike to get through. They don't see the road as a through road where they wouldn't do this kind of parking. But it is a through road, it goes through to my house at the end where there is enough private driveway to park two cars. Garbage collectors can't get through, service and emergency vehicles can't get through, friends can't get through. The fact that I don't have a car myself is no reason for them to block my access. They are selfish idiots who won't spend a little bit of time parking their cars in their driveways so the road remains clear.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

One has to have sympathy for these ladies and other residents in the neighborhood for the problems they are having, but I really don't think that resorting to criminal damage is the best way forward.

And I can also empathise with the pick-up driver who said that the property looked abandoned and I can understand her viewpoint. Just look at it. Who on earth is going to take the trouble to read that lot in the middle of a busy shopping trip?

If I was in a position to advice this family, I would suggest that they remove all of that signage, make their home look lived in and install just one clear message. 'No Parking. Vehicles WILL be clamped'.

And DO it! Clamps are available from Lazada, so they can't be that hard to get hold of.

Gate with signs.jpg

Edited by Moonlover

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

One has to have sympathy for these ladies and other residents in the neighborhood for the problems they are having, but I really don't think that resorting to criminal damage is the best way forward.

And I can also empathise with the pick-up driver who said that the property looked abandoned and I can understand her viewpoint. Just look at it. Who on earth is going to take the trouble to read that lot in the middle of a busy shopping trip?

If I was in a position to advice this family, I would suggest that they remove all of that signage and install just one clear message. 'No Parking. Vehicles WILL be clamped'.

And DO it! Clamps are available from Lazada, so they can't be that hard to get hold of.

Gate with signs.jpg

The pickup driver was having a laugh, abandoned my backside just look at it 5555555

Your sympathy is misplaced

Your one saving grace was the muppet who thought the signs were there because they were debtors so you are not alone