Health warning as rabies spreads rapidly

rooster59

The Livestock Development Department’s Disease Control and Veterinary Services Bureau director, Wiriya Kaewthong, said the major rabies outbreak was caused by the breakdown of herd immunity due to the lower rate of rabies vaccinations in 2014 and 2015. This reduced the overall rabies immunisation rate in the dog and cat populations to below 80 per cent.

Villages use to routinely vaccinate all pets yearly for rabies.  They stopped about two years ago. 
Cause -> Effect

This was an effective public safety measure.  The government needs to reassess it's priorities imho.

Edited by connda

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Whilst it sounds like a sound plan you are obviously not Buddhist. Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist country where to kill anything is a sin. The reason the dogs are who and where they are is because of who or what they did in a previous life. 

Maybe not logical for a non Buddhist, non Thai, to understand but it is their country and their laws and customs.

If your plan was put into action you would soon find a whole lot of stray dogs with collars (which cost 20Baht) 

Vegetarian Thais? what percentage of the population would that be? From by observation Thias generally don't have a clue how to care of pets.

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Rabies is almost always fatal.  What manner of numpty takes a disease spreading; accident-causing; oxygen thief into his own home in Thailand?

I am afraid it is mostly the stray dogs running around freely, barking all night, chasing motorbikes and biting around freely.

• Like 1

Three weeks ago I was bitten (deep, a lot of blood drawn) by a stray on my street while riding my moto.  All people deny ownership and I had to pay for the full shot regime of vaccine. The dog continues to try and bite me every time I pass on my moto.  The local police are uninterested.  Who can I report this to so the dog can be removed?

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I was bitten by my own cat and had to have an antI- rabies injection, Jesus does that hurt.

Maybe at one time when they used to inject into the stomach, now it's 3 injections (staggered) in the arm. The GF got bitten by a squirrel a couple of years back and didn't complain about it hurting.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Maybe at one time when they used to inject into the stomach, now it's 3 injections (staggered) in the arm. The GF got bitten by a squirrel a couple of years back and didn't complain about it hurting.

I had a injection they give you into the wound,(my hand) it is a large amount that they pump in and lasts about 10 seconds, I knew it was going to hurt when a male nurse held me down before the doc had taken the syringe in hand. the follow up injections (3) were nothing to speak of but I only bothered to get one.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Vegetarian Thais? what percentage of the population would that be? From by observation Thias generally don't have a clue how to care of pets.

How did you make the jump from Buddhism to vegetarian? 

How do you know a vegetarian is coming to dinner? 

They will tell you!

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Oh dear 450 baht a shot. I guess that is 1500 baht you could have spent on other things but not huge in the grand scheme of things.

Mine, at a government hospital, including tetanus injection and testing for adverse reaction cost 3,000 Baht, follow up injections 300 Baht a shot

Edited by soalbundy

19 hours ago, mikebell said:

A lot of ex-pats hate what Thailand has done to dogs; the ex-pats marry; pay for Thai children to go through college; do volunteer work.

Only doting dog-owners cannot see the damage dogs do.

Yes agree, theres so many at our golf course, now getting out of control. They are hungry, full of sores, and in general poor health. This year they have just about doubled in numbers. and the damage to the greens etc. is totally incredible.

16 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I had a injection they give you into the wound,(my hand) it is a large amount that they pump in and lasts about 10 seconds, I knew it was going to hurt when a male nurse held me down before the doc had taken the syringe in hand. the follow up injections (3) were nothing to speak of but I only bothered to get one.

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Oh dear 450 baht a shot. I guess that is 1500 baht you could have spent on other things but not huge in the grand scheme of things.

If the alternative is dying a very painful death I would say the money was well spent.

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Rabies is almost always fatal.  What manner of numpty takes a disease spreading; accident-causing; oxygen thief into his own home in Thailand?

Right!  And what kind of numpty engages in recreational sex--it causes diseases, accidents (unwanted children and unwise marriages, accidents with long-term consequences) and uses up too much oxygen.

Ok, so maybe some people like (love) dogs and sex (I don't mean one with the other).  That is no excuse for failing in our responsibility to be heartless, unemotional machines.

I was never terrified of dogs till i came here. I really enjoy my walking but dont go now because there are many stray dogs that bare there teeth at me. Believe me the first thing that enters my mind Wonder if they have rabies? Bugger of a way to die from rabies No cure. I often wonder what is more cruel Let the the stray dogs roam and starve and become vicious or put them down if they have no owners?

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Whilst it sounds like a sound plan you are obviously not Buddhist. Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist country where to kill anything is a sin. The reason the dogs are who and where they are is because of who or what they did in a previous life. 

Maybe not logical for a non Buddhist, non Thai, to understand but it is their country and their laws and customs.

If your plan was put into action you would soon find a whole lot of stray dogs with collars (which cost 20Baht) 

This is the old excuse.. but it won't wash.  Thais kill animals all the time.. despite being Buddhist.   They almost all eat meat, eggs, eat ice cream... all from animals.. which are all killed in the long run. Even the monks mostly eat meat.. which people give them for free in the alms.  

Even the dog lovers are supporting killing animals when they buy dog food (which has meat in it) to feed the dogs.

The people in my village have chickens, which the kill to eat.  They have fighting roosters, which get killed when fighting (all this is not Buddhist).

So the excuse about not killing dogs as its wrong to kill is rubbish.  Why apply it only to dogs?

And, if people really believe the dogs were humans in dog bodies they would care for them property... take them into their houses and give them a lovely life.. not leave them to fester on the street and spread rabies to each other and real humans.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

How did you make the jump from Buddhism to vegetarian? 

Off topic, but good point - in my experience Buddhism usually practised in Thailand is an aberration of core Buddhist philosophy.

Edited by simple1

45 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Off topic, but good point - in my experience Buddhism usually practised in Thailand is an aberration of core Buddhist philosophy.

Kind of the way that it's difficult to find a Christian who practices "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." or believes that "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

People are very good at separating their religion from their daily affairs.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mikebell said:

The kind that doesn't want mikebells in their house. Made me miss my late furball.

11 hours ago, cooked said:

We have seven dogs. Can we vaccinate at home?

The wife says the local farm store sells vaccine, but it isn't stored in a fridge, I am doubtful about that..?

Your local DLD office should have some rabies vaccine , Department of Livestock  Development , all provinces have one ,and it should be free .

But you will have to do the injection yourself, under the skin low down in the neck , you could ask your DLD if one of they vets can come and do it .

We have a shop that sells cattle fed and livestock drugs, thay also sell rabies  vacine .

It has to be stored in a fridge  , when I buy the vacsin  I use a small  cool box to store it in  for the jorney home .,and check the use by date .

• Like 1

Keep up the vaccinations on strays I got my dog in Thailand and when I moved back home to uk she was the first thing to arrive love her to bits and effection retuned 10 fold never been without a dog since I was 5 years old  

12 hours ago, cooked said:

We have seven dogs. Can we vaccinate at home?

The wife says the local farm store sells vaccine, but it isn't stored in a fridge, I am doubtful about that..?

All vaccine that my wife gets for her chickens is stored in a refrigerator. When she picks it up to bring home she has a small Styrofoam iglo she puts it in and then at home she puts it in her frig.

• Like 1