Arsenal

MiG16

Update:

Arsenal v West Ham game originally fixed for Boxing Day now postponed to later in January - probable tube strike and the Borough Council won't lift parking restrictions (can't say I blame them as budgets of all councils are screwed down tight). Good news as we will get 3 fixtures over 2 weeks instead of 4. Bad news as we might reasonably have hoped for a good run up to New Year.

Arsenal play Bayern in the Champions League. Bayern are currently on a big roll in the Bundesliga, but that could all change of course by mid Jan. There are no easy ties left anyway.

Well its bye bye goons !

Shouldn't that be Baye Baye?

It's a tough ask for the gunners, but not impossible.

Update:

Arsenal v West Ham game originally fixed for Boxing Day now postponed to later in January - probable tube strike and the Borough Council won't lift parking restrictions (can't say I blame them as budgets of all councils are screwed down tight). Good news as we will get 3 fixtures over 2 weeks instead of 4. Bad news as we might reasonably have hoped for a good run up to New Year.

Arsenal play Bayern in the Champions League. Bayern are currently on a big roll in the Bundesliga, but that could all change of course by mid Jan. There are no easy ties left anyway.

Well its bye bye goons !

It's not until February. I have a sneaky feeling we might be shifting and acquiring a few players in January. I'd be happy with Ba or Benteke.

Update:

Well its bye bye goons !

It's not until February. I have a sneaky feeling we might be shifting and acquiring a few players in January. I'd be happy with Ba or Benteke.

He might have had Bendtner back but for the injury, he still might re-sign Henry (sentimental reasons) or use Chamakh,

Sturridge is another I could possibly see Wenger going for.

Benteke won't be sold IMO, it's too soon and I think Lambert will want to see just how much more potential he has and of course Bent is injured. Ba is a possibility, but personally I don't see him fitting into the gunners team..I could be wrong.

A surprise might be Dzeko on loan until the end of the season ans Walcott going the other way...Man City like little guys.

Someone who is a bit raw around the edges, but I think is worth a punt is Adel Taarabt of QPR, likes to run at defenders, tricky, strong and will improve in the right team......arry boy is always open to deal, especially if you offer someone in return (Arshavin?).

Wenger has been trying to talk the market down now for about 6 weeks. Sure sign that he's going to break the mould in January.

Huntelaar was a strong bet a month ago but he has gone way off the boil this season, so much so I'd now be worried if Arsene went for him, even though he's rumoured to be cheap. He also couldn't play in the Bayern rubber.

Anybody know if Tarrabt (Moroccan) is a French speaker? Pretty strong target for Le Boss if he is, though I can't see Fernandes letting him (and their season) go cheaply - maybe he/Harry would take Arshavin and Gervinho off our hands - now that would be a good deal (for us).

My order of pref for the striker role would be:

Falcao - but Arsenal won't compete with Chelsea for his wages

Tarrabt - a very exciting and classy prospect

Michu - surely Swansea will hang on to him, but some commentators think he's detachable

Dzeko - I marginally prefer Ba but I don't like ACON players on principle (for investment not racial reasonsbiggrin.png )

Edited by SantiSuk

Michu - surely Swansea will hang on to him, but some commentators think he's detachable

Dzeko - I marginally prefer Ba but I don't like ACON players on principle (for investment not racial reasonsbiggrin.png )

A decent list, but no Balotelli? biggrin.png

Wenger has been trying to talk the market down now for about 6 weeks. Sure sign that he's going to break the mould in January.

Huntelaar was a strong bet a month ago but he has gone way off the boil this season, so much so I'd now be worried if Arsene went for him, even though he's rumoured to be cheap. He also couldn't play in the Bayern rubber.

Anybody know if Tarrabt (Moroccan) is a French speaker? Pretty strong target for Le Boss if he is, though I can't see Fernandes letting him (and their season) go cheaply - maybe he/Harry would take Arshavin and Gervinho off our hands - now that would be a good deal (for us).

Taraabt is ok playing for a relatively small ream. He plays for himself and not the team. Massive ego and very selfish player. No way he'd fit into a top six side.

Falcao....don't be silly

Michu is only into his first year of his new contract and Swansea would ask the earth for him.

Dzeko is your most realistic prospect on your list but it is probably more likely that City will off that buffoon Balotelli.

Why not Demba Ba or the very impressive young begium at Villa?

Edited by carmine

Ba - read my last line, Carms.

Benteke - I forgot, looks great, but he's only just emerged in like the last month hasn't he?

I would have added Fellaini until the head butt. How to crucify your prospects in one easy step. Le Prof always steers well clear of temperamental types - one of his better managerial features. I reckon he knows that he himself hasn't got the cool temperament that could cope with such, nor has he the controlled temper/menace of SAF.

[All good strikers tend to be selfish bastards with an ego (though clearly Sturridge is the pinnacle of such acheivement!)]

Ba - read my last line, Carms.

Benteke - I forgot, looks great, but he's only just emerged in like the last month hasn't he?

I would have added Fellaini until the head butt. How to crucify your prospects in one easy step. Le Prof always steers well clear of temperamental types - one of his better managerial features. I reckon he knows that he himself hasn't got the cool temperament that could cope with such, nor has he the controlled temper/menace of SAF.

[All good strikers tend to be selfish bastards with an ego (though clearly Sturridge is the pinnacle of such acheivement!)]

I can only assume you are joking. How long did he stick with Van Persie? He was always getting into trouble.

West Ham are apparently looking at taking Chamakh off our hands. Which is nice.

Just got back from Wigan. The pies at the DW stadium were rubbish and the beer choice was industrial lager only. I had a cup of Bovril for old times sake (very old; it must have been 45 years since I drank hot Bovril - with a Scotch pie (greasy mutton, yummy, at Brunton Park).

The match was equally forgettable.

As I said last week, we only looked good against Reading because they were the only club in the leaguee who had not been told to press Arsenal's mid-field on ball and keep a high line. Situation normal restored against the Latics and I don't think we had a shot on goal other than from dead ball situations they gave us. A draw would have been a fair result and they might have won it with better finishing and a slightly more balanced referee (but the penalty did look kosher to me from 50 metres away, although I'm just listening to the radio which says it was controversial).

I haven't seen the Gunners play live in three years. It was quite instructive to see the whole game, not just that little square around the ball. Thoughts that occurred to me were:

Where is all this tippy tappy coming from - we used to do it in dangerous positions on the edge of the box - now we do it one third of the way down the pitch and on the wing - complete waste of time.

Fer chrisakes sell <deleted> Theo Walcott. The lad is too slight (in build and character) and only makes the distracting and dangerous runs of a stiker at the last minute - spends most of the game looking like a wet lettuce. Get rid and stop pretending he can be a striker just to hang onto him.

No passion - except Wilshire (and maybe Szczezsznzy. I loved the way the Wigan fans were super-riled by Jack from the off - we need more players that opposition fans don't react to with polite applause!

Mertesacker is the most improved Arsenal player and dominated in the defence. He's replaced Vermaelen as the fulcrum at the back. <removed> me he's a big guy - starting to remind me a bit of Tony A!

For gods sake keep Ox on the wing and don' repeat the mistake of Theo by trying to convert him into a midfielder (and <deleted> was Arsene doing taking him off, the only player who looked like creating stuff - he ran rings round their left back. There would have been a shower of 'you don't know what yer doing raining down on Le Prof if there had not been Reading and if we had not been 1-0 up.

Talk about return to bad old days. 1-0 up and ten minutes to go so Arsene takes off two attackers and an attacking midfielder and replaces them by Ramsey, Koscielny and Coquelin. Back to the the OneniltotheArsenal strategies!

Good away support for the Gunners today - filled the 8,000 away end with an number of others dotted around in the sides strangling cheers and groans (cos we're not supposed to be there). I noticed at the end that a big professionally produced banner came out at the heart of the away shed

"Arsene. Thanks for the Memories. Now its time to say Goodbye".

It got pulled down quickly and a mini fight ensued. Times are still tough ahead for the Gunners

I noticed at the end that a big professionally produced banner came out at the heart of the away shed

It got pulled down quickly and a mini fight ensued. Times are still tough ahead for the Gunners

Sad that we still have those witless glory hunters, mind you every club has them. They have the attentions span of a gnat with ADHD and don't see the big picture.

As for the game, Wigan remind me of Stoke. Little ankle taps, shirt pulls, anything to break up play. They pressed us hard but did very little with the ball. In fact their most dangerous moment was when Kone left Mertesacker for dead and tamely shot wide.

Dirty three points that, but it shows we've got the fight and that's what will drive us on.

For all your carping we are third tonight and we still are not firing on all cylinders.

• Like 1

I noticed at the end that a big professionally produced banner came out at the heart of the away shed

Sad that we still have those witless glory hunters, mind you every club has them. They have the attentions span of a gnat with ADHD and don't see the big picture.

As for the game, Wigan remind me of Stoke. Little ankle taps, shirt pulls, anything to break up play. They pressed us hard but did very little with the ball. In fact their most dangerous moment was when Kone left Mertesacker for dead and tamely shot wide.

Dirty three points that, but it shows we've got the fight and that's what will drive us on.

For all your carping we are third tonight and we still are not firing on all cylinders.

Good post. Always baffles me how so called fans that make the effort to travel to away fixtures can still remain so fickle and clueless.

Good post. Always baffles me how so called fans that make the effort to travel to away fixtures can still remain so fickle and clueless.

Don't be so insensitive to poor freezing cold Santi! :D

Santi just cos I was a bit slow in responding doesn't mean you should give away my ticket to a random stranger so easily!

Tsk tsk

I was busy finding my coat to brave the winter cold!!!!

I was going to say probably got the tickets free, but even that doesn't entice people these days.

biggrin.png

It was surprising to me to look at the table and see us 3rd (!) Considering how poor of a run we had before, many of the other teams are doing worse, it seems.

Vs. Wigan: we deserved to win, I think. Wigan did have many many chances to score, but lacked any&all quality.

Don't be so insensitive to poor freezing cold Santi! biggrin.png

I do hope our precious Santi realises i was referring to the fans that displayed the anti Wenger banner!

For the record i was just hoping Arsenal lost and he enjoyed his pie!!

• Like 1

For the likes of carmine who may have missed the games Saturday...... Was 0:1 Wigan arsenal

No comment about the game that followed. Just cos it's Christmas :D I'm being nice :D

Speaking of which...... Merry Christmas to all the arsenal fans, even the half hearted ones, AND also to the closet fans and enemies that frequent this thread. Kisses. Oops. Maybe thats pushing it. Hehe

Thought it was a very harsh penalty, and I sympathise with Wigan. Arsenal rubbish but still come away with three points.

No excuse, should have still made them play,

unfair advantage for them to have a weeks rest while everyone else

has to play.

They will have three games in a week when the others have only two, so it evens itself out. Arsenal didn't cancel the game, and it does them no favours because they might have players missing when it is replayed. So stop your moaning.

biggrin.png

• Like 1