Senior education official confesses to stealing Bt88m from funds for at-risk children

rooster59

In China he could be a candidate for the 10 cent penalty, a bullet in the back of the head.  Officially I am totally opposed to capital punishment but I am getting sick to death (pun intended) of these public figures who tho k they have the right to pillage any fund they have access to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I'm not surprised at an official stealing money, as it seems they nearly all do it to some degree. However the magnitude of this theft plus that it went on for 10 years is somewhat staggering. Has this country ever heard of auditing?

8 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The answer to your last question is obviously NO. I suspect that even if there were auditors they would be as crooked as the rorters themselves and if they found anything irregular they would want to be in on it as well. Such is the Thai civil service.

Pity some civil servants are are not as efficient at doing their jobs as they are at scamming public funds. I speak generally of some senior personal who seem to have the greater opportunity to defraud. I know there are some bad eggs but I am sure there a lot of good people in the service.

They do have auditors, at least they have private auditing firms anyway, my niece worked for one of them, I can tell you that she is an honest young woman...don't know about the others where she worked. If you are talking about if the government has their own audits or auditors, I'm not sure about that.

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I'm not surprised at an official stealing money, as it seems they nearly all do it to some degree. However the magnitude of this theft plus that it went on for 10 years is somewhat staggering. Has this country ever heard of auditing?

Can I help? I was an auditor for many years. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

In Thailand, you emmbazzle small or big, your punishment is the same, transfer to inactive post

until the heat die down and people forget and life goes on, do we ever hear what has become

of all of the thousands of officials that have been transferred to inactive post? No, never....

They are all living in a BIG BIG house paid for by the funds they have embezzled or the brown envelopes they have acquired.

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Is there any branch of Thai society that is immune from such corruption?  Chinese justice would kill and cure this greed.

Pretty much on par by Thai standards. Not too many good role models. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Ridiculous country. Corrupt government officials, corrupt police, corrupt teachers. Just a good job the monks are setting a good example !

You really need to add those “good guys” who promised  corruption eradication.Those people in high positions are setting a low standard for corruption. Jailed them and we may perhaps set a good example and deterrent. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

In Thailand, you emmbazzle small or big, your punishment is the same, transfer to inactive post

until the heat die down and people forget and life goes on, do we ever hear what has become

of all of the thousands of officials that have been transferred to inactive post? No, never....

Crime does pay in Thailand.

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

What is 'auditing'? :cheesy:

Must be farang language.

This is the problem with Thai education. Thailand spends as much or more on education than most countries. But most of that money does not get to a large number of schools. It is simply siphoned off level by level. Here was a upper mid range job.  It is just so sad to think the corrupt will even steal from educational funds.  Its a well know fact among most all Thai people. Hence the rush to get your kids into the "better" schools and find one that is getting some share of the money at least. Forget about it in 90% of rural Thai  schools. Where the kids need the education the most.

10 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Ye, bet the auditors had a share.

Bloody discusting. She and the others who received some of this cash should have beeb arrested nd held.

• Like 1