SURVEY: Cryptocurrency--would you invest?

Scott

SURVEY: Cryptocurrency--would you consider investing?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Acemaker said:

Yes, and doing very well, i noticed that the Herd on here are saying No, mainly due to a lack of ambition , a lack of intelligence, and having a Sun Reader Bar Stool Mentality, choosing instead to believe everything they read on here or in the News, if you take your time and never invest more than you can afford to lose then you will be just fine, you need good experienced contacts, and to educate yourself on Crypto Currency, but then i guess a Bottle of Chang will always take priority over anything else with the majority on here.  ( Bring it On   :biggrin: ) 

Two of my friends had good experienced contacts from the Ukraine.....lost everything. The figures, graphs and history confirm its a mugs game. Yes a few have made money but the vast masses have lost and that scenario will continue. The base idea of a crypto currency when it was introduced works if thats what it is but it is being treated and hyped as an "investment" which it isnt. What is the nett worth of the company Bitcoin???..zilch, nada, nothing as it is nothing.

I opted for the second choice although it didn't really fit my outlook. I am (not strongly) looking at investing in a mining company that offers decent returns.

Cryptos are not a ponzi scheme, although one can see many con artists touting crazy returns, making it look like a ponzi. Anyone can speculate intelligently, using money that they are prepared to lose. Just like derivitaves (options, futures, credit default swaps etc) they have no intrinsic value but people can still make money on them if they know what they're doing.

Edited by khunken
clarity

I can't help thinking that the way we bank at the moment is outdated & we allow our governments to manipulate what we have by raising/lowering interest rates, devaluing a currency, printing more money, propping up currencies etc. etc. For example, my funds in use here in Thailand have dropped 20% because the U.K. voted to leave the EU....how is that right? I had the value of my pension drop by a third ten years ago due to greedy Wall Street Traders....how is that right? The value of my UK home is heavily dependent on what the government sets the interest rates at....how is that right?

Im not suggesting that crypto currency has all the answers but surely it's time to do things slightly differently & maybe a global currency such as crypto might be the way forward?

3 hours ago, Acemaker said:

Yes, and doing very well, i noticed that the Herd on here are saying No, mainly due to a lack of ambition , a lack of intelligence, and having a Sun Reader Bar Stool Mentality, choosing instead to believe everything they read on here or in the News, if you take your time and never invest more than you can afford to lose then you will be just fine, you need good experienced contacts, and to educate yourself on Crypto Currency, but then i guess a Bottle of Chang will always take priority over anything else with the majority on here.  ( Bring it On   :biggrin: ) 

I have given up on trying to educate people who are so blind and who seem determined not to learn about crypto and blockchain technologies.   
There is definitely a generational gap which stops the older blokes from embracing the future.  

Cryptos are not a ponzi scheme, although one can see many con artists touting crazy returns, making it look like a ponzi. Anyone can speculate intelligently, using money that they are prepared to lose. Just like derivitaves (options, futures, credit default swaps etc) they have no intrinsic value but people can still make money on them if they know what they're doing.

Derivatives do often have some sort of intrinsic value because they are based on real things, and the value of the derivative will vary according to the value of the real thing on which it is based. Leverage is the only real problem with derivatives, as when the fall comes it will be multiplied many times.
Cryptocurrencies, on the other hand, are devoid of any intrinsic worth at all. Being virtual, they arent even worth the paper they are written on.

It is true that Cryptocurrencies are not really a Ponzi scheme as they offer no return at all, and the primary feature of a Ponzi scheme is that new investments finance the interest payments to existing investors. However Cryptocurrencies are an excellent example of the "greater fool theory". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory

• Like 1

It's similar to investing in stocks or forex, do your TA, read the news, invest with the trend, buy low, sell high and don't get greedy. Don't fall into the FOMO or FUD trap and do loads of research.

There is still money to be made by sensible traders, but you have to put in the time and effort.

• Like 1

I wanted to invest GBP 500 in Ripple a few months back, I posted that info on this very forum seeking personal assistance from any knowledgeable TVF member based in Patts, I was willing to maybe even pay a small cash fee for the help and provide food and beverages whilst the deed was done, no one responded, basically I am not confident enough to do the whole process unassisted, 500 quid is only what ERNIE has paid out to me since the new year, so I can afford to gamble with it, I'm not putting my whole life in jeopardy :smile:

I see Ripple is expected to soar in the near future, it would be nice to be on that band wagon :crazy: 

May as well call toe nail clippings a currency, and if you tap dance for 3 days you create one clipping. So long as more than one person perceives that it has value, people can speculate on its worth.

1 hour ago, Harryj09 said:

Santander

Santander and a few other banking institutions are exploring blockchain, that is not the same as "buying heavily into crypto currency" its statements like this that are so misleading and lead to people loosing money

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I wanted to invest GBP 500 in Ripple a few months back, I posted that info on this very forum seeking personal assistance from any knowledgeable TVF member based in Patts, I was willing to maybe even pay a small cash fee for the help and provide food and beverages whilst the deed was done, no one responded, basically I am not confident enough to do the whole process unassisted, 500 quid is only what ERNIE has paid out to me since the new year, so I can afford to gamble with it, I'm not putting my whole life in jeopardy :smile:

I see Ripple is expected to soar in the near future, it would be nice to be on that band wagon :crazy: 

Really, just do it yourself. It is incredibly easy. Sign up for an account at bx.in.th, upload a copy of your passport, transfer the baht equivalent of 500 pounds to the account they give you, and then just select buy XRP at the default market rate. If you can figure out how to buy something online you can do this. They also have English language support if you really don't understand.

It doesn't take any effort at all. I think the reason you didn't receive any takers is because people were likely suspicious that you couldn't do something so simple without help.

21 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Really, just do it yourself. It is incredibly easy. Sign up for an account at bx.in.th, upload a copy of your passport, transfer the baht equivalent of 500 pounds to the account they give you, and then just select buy XRP at the default market rate. If you can figure out how to buy something online you can do this. They also have English language support if you really don't understand.

It doesn't take any effort at all. I think the reason you didn't receive any takers is because people were likely suspicious that you couldn't do something so simple without help.

Thanks for that monomial, the thing that confused the efff out of me was all this crypto wallet stuff and then the fact that I couldn't just buy Ripple straight out, I had to buy BTC and then buy Ripple, it all just seems so convoluted and not as straight forward as I would like it to be, I'm happy enough to stick 500 GBP in Ripple and leave it for a couple of years, if it goes ballistic and makes a fortune all well and good, if it fades & dies, well, no big deal really. 

May as well call toe nail clippings a currency, and if you tap dance for 3 days you create one clipping. So long as more than one person perceives that it has value, people can speculate on its worth.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/08/a-parody-cryptocurrency-just-broke-2-billion-for-its-market-cap.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Except this article only shows that journalist and freelance writers are waste of a breath with no brains.

That "joke" crypto currency is one of the first and most solidly coded and is used in daily to move millions of $ around.  https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/dogecoin-transactions.html

See a lot of older people and young facebook pros shitting on crypto currency, all it shows is that they are either jealous broke english teachers with no future or uneducated jealous retards;

everyone that got in and used their brains to learn how to trade profitably, are retired or almost retired.

It's literally the exact same market as the dotcom, and guess what.. every retard tried to act cool back then saying its a ponzi, its a fad  were wrong.. and most of those that invested, just sold "because its going down ohhh bubble pop" and then every person that is unbelievably wealthy today bought from them for peanuts and made fortunes.

some of you teachers need to wake up.. every mcdonald in thailand runs on Omise's network and they're going to switch it to their crypto very soon once their protocol launches.. even just that single thing is enough to make you millions of dollars easily.

Edited by bearpolar

It's literally the exact same market as the dotcom, and guess what.. every retard tried to act cool back then saying its a ponzi, its a fad were wrong.. and most of those that invested, just sold "because its going down ohhh bubble pop" and then every person that is unbelievably wealthy today bought from them for peanuts and made fortunes.

Really? I dont think so. Dotcom stocks were ridiculously overvalued and overhyped, and waiting to crash. Just like tulips, south-sea trading companies, Spanish property and Cryptocurrencies have been at different points in time.

22 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Really? I dont think so. Dotcom stocks were ridiculously overvalued and overhyped, and waiting to crash. Just like tulips, south-sea trading companies, Spanish property and Cryptocurrencies have been at different points in time.

There are a load of 'dotcom' survivors - the companies which actually did something other than burn through VC cash.

I could not take part in the vote because I simply don`t know enough about it.

I`ve heard stories whereas there are those who have claimed to have made millions, but I`ve also heard similar many years ago regarding stocks and shares.

As a layman and a thicko when it comes to these types of investments, I wouldn`t even consider crypto currency unless an expert in the field spent time to explain it all to me in ways that I would understand. I think most people are in the same situation as me.

But as a friend recently told me; if so good, how come everyone isn`t buying crypto currency?

Edited by cyberfarang

28 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

As a layman and a thicko when it comes to these types of investments, I wouldn`t even consider crypto currency unless an expert in the field spent time to explain it all to me in ways that I would understand. I think most people are in the same situation as me.

There are experts about how it all works but that's irrelevant as you don't need to know how it works to buy and sell it at whatever price it's currently being sold for.

If you look at a chart and it's in an uptrend then buy, if it changes direction then dump it. It's not rocket science.

Don't buy anything that's at an all time high until it 'dips' in which case making an entrance is risky unless there's a solid uptrend. This is not the case right now, there is no confirmed 'uptrend' / bull market.

Once you're 'in' already it's a lot easier to make decisions. To me it still looks like it's in a downtrend....here's the chart since last September.

bitcoin-april-2018-2.JPG.f8cb7bcc7a61ff1d5e8e92e9ac4e4d53.JPG

I wouldn't be surprised if it dips a lot lower than current prices again. Pure speculation though.

What goes up goes down and what goes down often bounces and the laws of gravity don't apply.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

Whats make this legal, is about whats wrong with this world! Win based on others loss! 

A Pyramide will always be a pyramide, and pyramides benefit the few, and it will always collaps. 

I see a future in it, but as long it is connected to real values, and also energy consuming more than anything else that actually produces something, is clear madness to me. 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Whats make this legal, is about whats wrong with this world! Win based on others loss! 

A Pyramide will always be a pyramide, and pyramides benefit the few, and it will always collaps. 

I see a future in it, but as long it is connected to real values, and also energy consuming more than anything else that actually produces something, is clear madness to me. 

society is a literal pyramid. You and most people are slave to the few on top and some are slaves to you...

Many crypto/blockchain project are trying to get away from that. Some of the most popular are decentralized platform to sell and buy electricity.

but nice job commenting on something you havnt even put half a second of research into.. it's just what the world needs, humans that interfere everywhere with opinions when they know nothing. Just like <deleted> in chief trump.. reads a word on twitter or buzzfeed and gives his "informed" opinion.

Edited by bearpolar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

The stock market is based on winning when someone else loses.   Is NASDAQ, or the London Stock Exchange a pyramid scheme?

As for the energy issues there are crypto coins that don't use large amounts of energy to validate transactions on their blockchains.   
Suggest you read the White Paper for Burstcoin http://www.burst-coin.org/

I have yet to find one single positive report on Cryptos apart from those that are involved and gain by charges etc, or from those that invested at the peak last year and invariably believe that talking something up makes it happen and of course lightens the feeling of loss. More bad news to come and the current crash of 60% is going to increase.....the poster enquiring about ripple should read todays news, thats skyfalling...again.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

I have yet to find one single positive report on Cryptos apart from those that are involved and gain by charges etc, or from those that invested at the peak last year and invariably believe that talking something up makes it happen and of course lightens the feeling of loss. More bad news to come and the current crash of 60% is going to increase.....the poster enquiring about ripple should read todays news, thats skyfalling...again.

well of course,  you are going to have a difficult time finding a person that is positive about cryptos thats not involved, but good luck