Thaivisa warning: Look away now if you don't want to see what happened to a motorcyclist in Phuket

snoop1130

12 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Another tourist renting and riding a motorbike without any experience, licence, or insurance,

I can't find the paragraph in the OP or the linked article, stating that she was a tourist ? Nor the bit about her having no licence or insurance !!

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

He is not jumping to conclusions.

Maybe you can point out these details ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Can we take that a little bit slower, please? What did you just try to write?

I know, i can't understand what he's going on about.as for 'protective racing overalls' I think he means a set of leathers which are near impossible to wear in this heat and a decent set cost as much as a scooter.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

The point is driving into the back of a car and beeing impaled. Should almost have a job as a driving instructor.

I don't get it.  Is this some sort of attempt at humour or what?  Why you would take time out of your day to post this crap...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I don't get it.  Is this some sort of attempt at humour or what?  Why you would take time out of your day to post this crap...

Time??? Out of the same reasons as you do, I suppose. 

58 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I can't find the paragraph in the OP or the linked article, stating that she was a tourist ? Nor the bit about her having no licence or insurance !!

Maybe you can point out these details ?

Foreigner or Thai national is totally irrelevant. It´s how the accident ocurred that is relevant. Terribly sorry if the nationality has been stated wrong, but as I said, that is not the point.

1 hour ago, happy chappie said:

I know, i can't understand what he's going on about.as for 'protective racing overalls' I think he means a set of leathers which are near impossible to wear in this heat and a decent set cost as much as a scooter.

Only if other posters don't make sense.

So many bike riders running into the "rear" of other vehicles. Are they just not paying attention by texting,skylarking,or whatever ? I have always drove my bike a bit too fast in my earlier days of ridding and had to lay my bike down twice while at speed because of it.Resulting in ripped jeans and a lacerated knee (stitches) with scarred helmet . If you can't learn to be alert to what is happening around you  should never even get on a bike even as a passenger.

• Thanks 1

Mmmmm, I can see what appears to be blood on the road, which appears to be smeared to the left of the picture, in the direction of where the main photos were taken.

I'm wondering if the pick-up reversed out in front of her, then after the collision, drove forward to get off the road, unknowingly dragging the motorcyclist.

If so, that would change who is at fault in the accident.    

This is where the accident happened.

It's quite possible the pickup was reversing into the traffic. Considering the way the lady was impaled on the homemade steel bumper it's quite possible.

In fact, if you look at the pic in the OP you'll see the pickup appears to have reversed into the bike lane.

acc.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

It's quite possible the pickup was reversing into the traffic. Considering the way the lady was impaled on the homemade steel bumper it's quite possible.

In fact, if you look at the pic in the OP you'll see the pickup appears to have reversed into the bike lane.

acc.JPG

That's what I am thinking, OC.

If so, hopefully, some nearby CCTV footage, or some credible witnesses, can put the issue beyond doubt. 

By the look of the lady's hand, including the wedding ring,  she is not that young, and maybe an experience rider. 

Given the time of day of the accident, I would lean towards alcohol not being a factor, but this could easily be cleared up with a blood toxicology test. 

There is plenty of room there.  The driver could have easily done a three point turn, off the road, and come out nose first.

Nasty injury.  I doubt they can save her leg.  I wish the rider a speedy recovery. 

Whether the driver's fault, or the motorcyclist's fault, these are the people we share the roads with here on a daily basis. 

No matter how defensively you drive / ride, you just can't protect yourself from a lot of the people behind the wheel / handlebars here.  

Phuket is one of the most dangerous places to be on the road, in the world. 

5 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Protective racing overalls,just goes to prove how much you know.

So you're agreeing with me that it is not a very practical suggestion to wear these here?

11 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

That's what I am thinking, OC.

If so, hopefully, some nearby CCTV footage, or some credible witnesses, can put the issue beyond doubt. 

By the look of the lady's hand, including the wedding ring,  she is not that young, and maybe an experience rider. 

Given the time of day of the accident, I would lean towards alcohol not being a factor, but this could easily be cleared up with a blood toxicology test. 

There is plenty of room there.  The driver could have easily done a three point turn, off the road, and come out nose first.

Nasty injury.  I doubt they can save her leg.  I wish the rider a speedy recovery. 

Whether the driver's fault, or the motorcyclist's fault, these are the people we share the roads with here on a daily basis. 

No matter how defensively you drive / ride, you just can't protect yourself from a lot of the people behind the wheel / handlebars here.  

Phuket is one of the most dangerous places to be on the road, in the world. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this one

31 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

acc.JPG

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this one being a partial witness to what's happened.as for a Thai doing a 3 point turn there's two reasons why they don't do them.1 they can't.2 laziness.they can't even turn a corner at a junction.we sit at a bar with a crossroad and it's pure and utter chaos and death defying at rush hour.when there's an accident everyone stops to see the damage,when there's a near miss you see them riding off laughing.its great when four cars all attempt to turn a short corner and block each other and none of them want to move because they are all selfish.then all the scooters swarm all around them and even more chaos.

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

Nope! I have been looking out for myself and for others in traffic. I have been using my knowledge of driving and senible speed. To me it´s not about how quick I will arrive. I has to do with that I will arrive.

Unless there are financial reasons m, why not just use a car then? It’s much safer.

I use my motorcycle for one single reason.... ‘to save time’....

I agree with your point though. The importance of saving time pales into insignificance when compared to safe arrival.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

fun than fighting through the jams.

yeah, you are right.....no risk...no fun....And what is more funny to get some head injuries? Then you cannot remember your decision why the hell you used the motor bike.....

Or wake up in hospital and one foot lost.....wow, then you need to buy only ONE shoe next time....

I see you are a very lucky man. Still.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unless there are financial reasons m, why not just use a car then? It’s much safer.

I use my motorcycle for one single reason.... ‘to save time’....

I agree with your point though. The importance of saving time pales into insignificance when compared to safe arrival.

A lot of people die in car crashes too. Riding a motorcycle slowly on traffic congested streets at about 20km/h average speed is IMO safer than driving a car on the highway or other roads (even worse) at 80km/h plus. Another thing which makes motorcycles on busy streets safer is your level of alertness. When you're driving long distances on highways at high speed in a car, you go into a trance-like state.

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

A lot of people die in car crashes too. Riding a motorcycle slowly on traffic congested streets at about 20km/h average speed is IMO safer than driving a car on the highway or other roads (even worse) at 80km/h plus. Another thing which makes motorcycles on busy streets safer is your level of alertness. When you're driving long distances on highways at high speed in a car, you go into a trance-like state.

Yes, but wouldn't driving the car on the traffic congested roads at 20 km/h be safer than driving a motorbike on those roads? Because that would be the comparison.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

That’s comparing apples and oranges...

cars travelling at 80kmh vs motorcycle at 20kmh ? 

Level of alertness, you may be right... 

but riding a scooter at 20kmh BKK - Hua Hin is not my idea of fun. 

3 hrs in a car at regular traffic speeds is a much more desirable option.

Being more realistic - I regularly get up to 50kmh on my bike in BKK traffic (following cars etc), I’d consider riding at 20kmh slowing other traffic down to be a little too risky. 

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

acc.JPG

Bike lane?

I see a hard shoulder to the left of the solid white line marking the edge of the road... ie... hard shoulder.

this BS in Thailand about bike lanes on the outside, and staying left , in general, is a part of the problem as it encourages urine strength road usage, normalizing stupidity... and acceptance of the worlds worst roads.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, but wouldn't driving the car on the traffic congested roads at 20 km/h be safer than driving a motorbike on those roads? Because that would be the comparison.

Not for me. I wouldn't drive a car on congested streets in Pattaya. Even if I had one - I'd take the bike ... and I was giving you the average speed estimate of getting around on a motorcycle. A car would be getting around much more slowly than that. 

The point I'm really making is that riding carefully on congested city streets is not as dangerous as many people are suggesting. If you see how crazy many Thai people ride, then you'd understand where the danger lies. The level of danger is not equal and independent of riding style.

17 hours ago, DipStick said:

Agreed,, but I get the impression motor cycles inthailand are for the cheapcharlies with the inevitable conclusions. That includes farm hands to expats.

You are living up to your user name big time.

I own 6 bikes and 2 cars. I am an expat.

How many do you own ? My guess - zero.

People who sling mud usually live in it. You - a 25 sq meter room, a $350 laptop, warm beer and much time on your hands.

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That’s comparing apples and oranges...

cars travelling at 80kmh vs motorcycle at 20kmh ? 

Level of alertness, you may be right... 

but riding a scooter at 20kmh BKK - Hua Hin is not my idea of fun. 

3 hrs in a car at regular traffic speeds is a much more desirable option.

Being more realistic - I regularly get up to 50kmh on my bike in BKK traffic (following cars etc), I’d consider riding at 20kmh slowing other traffic down to be a little too risky. 

You're suggesting that people only get killed on apples, and not oranges, assuming oranges are cars LOL.

I'm discussing traffic situations in Pattaya. (I know this thread is about an accident in Phuket - I don't know how traffic there compares to Pattaya). I would not ride a motorcycle long distance on a national highway. I only have a 110cc scooter. The 20km/h was AVERAGE speed. That's calculated by considering time at 0 km/h up to about 50km/h if the traffic is flowing. I never slow traffic down - that IS dangerous.