Synthetic oil.

malt25

If one were to request,  and pay up for the good synthetics during a Service - can you trust that they actually use it? & haven't put a cheap blend in...

... apart from waiting until the engine starts leaking like a sieve once you are back on the road? 

If one were to request,  and pay up for the good synthetics during a Service - can you trust that they actually use it? & haven't put a cheap blend in...

... apart from waiting until the engine starts leaking like a sieve once you are back on the road? 

I never seem to get cheated here.

2 hours ago, tifino said:

Keep an eye on them while they do it

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Keep an eye on them while they do it

if I placed a bottle of pre-govt regulated Mekhong, next to another done under regulation;

and both of them placed next to another similar labelled, (yet in English) export one:

you can only see this very small difference in colours when next to each other 

On their own, you really need to know what to look out for, to see the real thing...

... and the same goes for the contents.

I dunno, but I have no more trust left in me when dealing with...

Edited by tifino

Been here 15 years. The only time I have been ripped off ...

Another Falang.

But no biggie - just put it down to the continuing cost of my education

Karma will get him - of this I have no doubt

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tifino said:

if I placed a bottle of pre-govt regulated Mekhong, next to another done under regulation;

and both of them placed next to another similar labelled, (yet in English) export one:

you can only see this very small difference in colours when next to each other 

Mekhong is a Thai rum.

And a River.

Is that somehow analogous to synthetic oil?

Kindly clarify what you are talking about.

• Like 1

Mekhong is a Thai rum.
And a River.
Is that somehow analogous to synthetic oil?
Kindly clarify what you are talking about.

I think it means that someone drinks so much cheap booze that they are concerned about the shop owner benefiting by selling them untaxed cheap booze without passing along the discount that would make the cheap booze even cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

On the back of comments here I recently did an oil and filter change on my CB300F using Shell Advance 4T 100% synthetic. I've only put a couple of hundred kilometres on it since, and it may be the "placebo effect", but I swear it is much smoother and quieter, especially at high revs. From Saengchai Chiang Mai it was only B280/litre, so an oil change of 1.5 litres + a filter is only B500, so why not! 

I'll be interested to see how it feels as I put more kilometres on it. ?

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 7:49 PM, JimShortz said:

On the back of comments here I recently did an oil and filter change on my CB300F using Shell Advance 4T 100% synthetic. I've only put a couple of hundred kilometres on it since, and it may be the "placebo effect", but I swear it is much smoother and quieter, especially at high revs. From Saengchai Chiang Mai it was only B280/litre, so an oil change of 1.5 litres + a filter is only B500, so why not! 

I'll be interested to see how it feels as I put more kilometres on it. ?

What about this  Zimm or Simm Synthetic oil?

papa going merca for a few months

and want to bring back 4 quarts

of Amsoil Saber 100% synthetic 2T oil.

Want to burn this in my 2T dirt bikes.

Can mix 100:1 so will be able to mix up 100 gallons

should be enough.

Eliminates smoke & spooge.

Wondering if packing it in checked baggage is allowed.?

13 hours ago, papa al said:

papa going merca for a few months

and want to bring back 4 quarts

of Amsoil Saber 100% synthetic 2T oil.

Want to burn this in my 2T dirt bikes.

Can mix 100:1 so will be able to mix up 100 gallons

should be enough.

Eliminates smoke & spooge.

Wondering if packing it in checked baggage is allowed.?

Not allowed 100%.

Believe me I checked this out a while ago when I had a problem finding air filter oil over here.

Having said that, I just bought a pint (500ml) back in a suitcase of cutting machine tool oil, and will continue to do so in the future (bring various oils back).

Just don't tell them...

Edited by thaiguzzi

Synthetic oils have greater longevity, as they are 100% ester. Once the additives ( 5-10% ) in mineral oils are exhausted, the remaining mineral oil has a higher coefficient of friction. There is no real difference in the frictional coefficient of mineral vs. synthetic when new.

The rough rule of thumb for oil changes in modern cars is mineral oil every 10,000 km, 15,000 km for semisynthetics, and 20,000 km for a full synthetic. I change the oil in my cars every 5000 km, so it really does not matter to me which type of oil goes in.

8 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

See above. 100% not allowed.

Would like olive oil be allowed.

A bottle of molasses is more volatile.

Frustrating.!

Maybe put in camel-back type bladder/pack.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 4:28 PM, ktm jeff said:

Im using ELF 10/50 Fully Synthetic in my off-road/dual sport. 230 Baht per liter. From the Honda shop on Kaew Nawarat ,CM.

That's cheap, but it is my understanding that there is a big difference between 100% Synthetic and Fully Synthetic - hence being able to get Fully Synthetic cheaper; a completely different base.

I have always enjoyed these conventional oil versus Synthetic. As a hobbyist who raced cars and trucks you get to meet a lot of lubrication experts and you would laugh a bit what they don't tell the general public.

I use synthetic in all my vehicles and change them far beyond the actual mileage recommended . In the US I had a Chevrolet K3500 Dually Diesel engined truck I used for towing my 12,000 lb car trailer. I used Red line synthetic and Red Line offers a free oil analysis. I sent in oil every 10k miles. Even at 50k miles the oil was still quite useable but I changed it. I did  (for reference) change oil filters every 10k miles.  I would pre fill filter and spin on.  Remember Oil manufacturers benefit by you changing your oil frequently and in many cases it is not necessary. Here on my Hilux I had them change to Synthetic after 1st service. After the Warranty Service period was met I will now likely change oil every 40km.  I will spin on a new filter at 20km.  I also use synethic in my Yamaha R3 and laughingly I use the used oil from the car in my lawn mower, weedwhacker and chainsaw.  I asked the dealer to save me a Gallon container full when they did my last service. The synethic oil was just fine.  

Years ago oil got dirty quickly due to leaded gas and lots of free bearing material because engines were built with loose tolerances. New bearing technology, unleaded fuel and precision machining now allow many makers to run 0w oil.  

All that said above Some will change oil to feel comfortable and have a piece of mind.  I have witnessed people who freak out if they go 5 miles over the recommended service interval like the engine will blow up.  Let's be realistic, how many engines physically fail nowadays? Virtually none. Most car issues are related to the complex ECUs and TCUs or some faulty plastic part. Mercedes-Benz and BMW have transmissions now that are not serviceable.  

Edited by JAFO