SURVEY: The Royal Wedding -- did you watch or not?

Scott

SURVEY: The Royal Wedding -- did you watch or not?  

295 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, peterb17 said:

If you can visit - the UK like anywhere has some good points and some bad. 

However there is no else quite like it - you can wander past castles etc with over a thousand years of history . The countryside has a quiet beauty - you can potter into a Saxon church - even a small village might have a Norman church - again going back to the 11th century . 

It’s that history and the knowledge of all the monarchs that we learn about as kids - it makes us who we are in a very small island. 

Thank you so much for your nice post!  My partner and I do hope to get there in the next year or so.

• Sad 1

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would be interested in this 'wedding for the elite'. But I do accept, as a Brit, that many downtrodden see it as 'at least someone lives the fairytale'.  Better say no more.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would be interested in this 'wedding for the elite'. But I do accept, as a Brit, that many downtrodden see it as 'at least someone lives the fairytale'.  Better say no more.

That's really beyond sad! Tell us again with your hand on your heart that you really and truly don't understand the interest in this wedding. If nothing else the wedding has generated huge amounts of money for UK business, and created a fun and festive occasion for a majority of people, not including you of course!

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Minority not majority.  The majority of people on the UK were not interested (yougov poll)

These  two people have put themselves up as the people of change who are going to change the face of the monarchy. They failed at the first hurdle in my opinion with a half baked effort to show diversity by throwing in a few black celebs and an eccentric preacher. 

They had a massive opportunity to make a real statement to the nation that things are going to change. There's no point jetting around Africa and going to homeless shelters one minute, then spending millions on self indulgence the next. Total hypocrisy. 

As for UK business, are they picking up the tax bill? If they are fair play as they are the beneficiaries according to you. The average joe never even got a free sarni for spending hours for a few seconds glimpse. That in itself shows their true colours. 

Edit: quit labelling people sad, xenophobic etc just because they don't agree with you. People do have aright to a different opinion without being labelled. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/apr/29/royal-wedding-tourism-boost

A minimum £2 billion boost to the UK economy and you're upset the average joe didn't get a free sarni, sad if not pathetic beyond belief.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Seriously please tell a little about what you found interesting regarding the  Royal Pageantry.   

That's a sincere question.

Please don't devolve this to a Trump/USA Brit kind of thing.

I'm asking what you found worth your time watching the royal wedding?

I, like many, enjoy watching well drilled guardsmen doing their thing. I'd have liked it better if there had been a lot more of them than of those that think they are important prancing about in their best frocks and suits on their way to enjoying an expensive knees up. I for one had no interest in seeing what "someone that used to be in a pop group" was wearing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

Not surprisingly you miss the whole point. 

Which one of the many did you wish to emphasise this time around?

The yougov poll asks about interest in the wedding, one of the issues being debated by you is whether the ceremony was cost justified, it was, move on. The yougov poll doesn't ask whether the cost was worth it, move on.

You didn't like the ceremony, you thought the integration of a traditional C of E service and a deep South Baptist sermon didn't work, I did and so did most of the media, move on.

They had a real opportunity to make a statement for change and they didn't, or so you say, whatever change you had in mind clearly hasn't begun on their wedding day, less anxious types might be inclined to wait a while and see, Rome in a day and all that!

Let me know if I missed the point you thought you were trying to make!!!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

We are on a different planet dear chap. I respect your views. Please do me the decency of respecting mine without trying to be so condescending. 

So now you've given trying to make points about the content you're going to attack the poster and go with style, gottit!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was watching a certain American tv channel that had some ( female ) commentators oohing and ahhing about the dress, and "didn't she look lovely", and "they are sooooo much in love".

Their sole interest was in an American marrying a prince in a loverly wedding ceremony, and nothing about the "firm" she was joining.

Hours of commentary, and Americans would have learned nothing about the UK other than they have soldiers that ride horses and wear red coats

I'm surprised they didn't add "and they lived happily ever after" at the end. They treated it like a real life fairy tale

For them it's a follow up to the Kardashians

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Thank you so much for your nice post!  My partner and I do hope to get there in the next year or so.

This link compliments the views shown by many Americans re our rich history but it might fall foul of the off topic brigade:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/iron-age-and-roman-evidence-found-at-corunna-barracks-ludgershall

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

That's really beyond sad! Tell us again with your hand on your heart that you really and truly don't understand the interest in this wedding. If nothing else the wedding has generated huge amounts of money for UK business, and created a fun and festive occasion for a majority of people, not including you of course!

Yes I TRULY don't understand why the lemmings could be interested in a wedding that's nothing to do with them, they don't know the people  and is part of the system to keep them downtrodden. The US seems more interested than us Brits. Don't you have a life?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

Yes I TRULY don't understand why the lemmings could be interested in a wedding that's nothing to do with them, they don't know the people  and is part of the system to keep them downtrodden. The US seems more interested than us Brits. Don't you have a life?

Apparently, 1.9 billion lemmings were sufficiently interested to tune in and watch it on TV....,.Troll!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, simoh1490 said:

Apparently, 1.9 billion lemmings were sufficiently interested to tune in and watch it on TV....,.Troll!

1.9 billion?   :cheesy:  many posters have tried to correct you and you fail. miserably, to see anyone's point. Are you English?  I am and I have my right to think what I please about this pc wedding.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

And name calling again for anyone who disagrees with you. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

1.9 billion?   :cheesy:  many posters have tried to correct you and you fail. miserably, to see anyone's point. Are you English?  I am and I have my right to think what I please about this pc wedding.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/1-9-billion-people-watched-royal-wedding-report/articleshow/64243728.cms

Nobody corrects another persons opinion on anything, otherwise it's not their opinion.

Yes I am a Brit.

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I watched some video clips of the highlights. It was cool but I am wondering why there is such a big deal about the marriage of someone that will obviously never be a King. Yes, I get the history with Diana (will never forget that, I was in London during the mourning period) and I get the marrying a bi-racial American actress novelty, but still, he's not really up there in the rankings. 

May I ask where is your mother country ?

• Confused 1

Just now, simoh1490 said:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/1-9-billion-people-watched-royal-wedding-report/articleshow/64243728.cms

Nobody corrects another persons opinion on anything, otherwise it's not their opinion.

Yes I am a Brit.

congrats!  did you buy the mug?  tea towel maybe?  try to understand that most Brits are uninterested but I DO GET that some like to live a fantasy life through others. Personally I lead a well-traveled and interesting life and don't need that but it takes all sorts. Enjoy it.

1 minute ago, Kadilo said:

Feel the need to call people xenophobic, sad, pathetic, troll etc just because you don't agree with them and then accuse me of attacking you. 

Calm yourself down. It's a forum of opinions. No need for the personal stuff. 

There there! 

Describing a person as xenophobic sad or pathetic is descriptive and quite often accurate, if posters want to view the use of those words as an attack they should probably study English to the next level. Now, if you have an opinion on the OP feel free to express it, you were the who first moved to the personal level and our exchange at that level ends here....and that goes for your chum also.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/20/2018 at 8:05 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

No.

I have a life. 

Ditto, i was out on the water all weekend with a good group of pepole living. No phone, no iternet, no tv, no videos.

Why would i want to watch someone i dont know get married.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

Minority not majority.  The majority of people on the UK were not interested (yougov poll)

These  two people have put themselves up as the people of change who are going to change the face of the monarchy. They failed at the first hurdle in my opinion with a half baked effort to show diversity by throwing in a few black celebs and an eccentric preacher. 

They had a massive opportunity to make a real statement to the nation that things are going to change. There's no point jetting around Africa and going to homeless shelters one minute, then spending millions on self indulgence the next. Total hypocrisy. 

As for UK business, are they picking up the tax bill? If they are fair play as they are the beneficiaries according to you. The average joe never even got a free sarni for spending hours for a few seconds glimpse. That in itself shows their true colours. 

Edit: quit labelling people sad, xenophobic etc just because they don't agree with you. People do have aright to a different opinion without being labelled. 

Sounds like you watched the whole event which is strange for a non supporter of the wedding , furthermore if I had no interest I would not be wasting my time reading all of these posts .  It is more likely that you are a hater of the Royal family rather than an uninterested person . Also get your facts right as it was the biggest watched TV of the year etc so there was massive interest , your minority/majority statement means nothing and does not devalue or detract from the fact that the wedding was watched and enjoyed by multi millions around the world , 

• Like 1