Thaksin wants to return home, says Chavalit

rooster59

Thaksin wants to return home, says Chavalit

By THE NATION

85ad0974b9c0d1875ed879db778f238a.jpeg

FORMER prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh yesterday said he felt fugitive ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra wanted to return home when they talked on the phone “a few days ago”.

Chavalit, 86, refused to say how often he talked to Thaksin and who had made the call in their latest conversation.

He suggested that Thaksin needed to “do good deeds for the people” to gain support from the majority of Thailand’s 65 million population, who would then back his return home.

“Khun Thaksin did not have to tell me he wanted to return home. I knew that he did, judging from his voice. All of us want to return [be] home,” Chavalit said, adding that Thaksin had retained his loyalty to the Thai monarchy and his homeland.

Thaksin left Thailand in 2008, shortly before the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders sentenced him in absentia to two years’ imprisonment for abuse of power. He has since lived in self-exile overseas. Chavalit talked to reporters at a restaurant in Bangkok’s Rama III Road area. 

He called for the formation of a “provisional government” at least five months before the next general election is held, explaining that the administration would be charged with solving certain problems to prepare for the poll.

A former Army General, Chavalit yesterday defended the ruling junta – the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) – which is blamed for failing to solve the country’s problems after four years in power. 

He said a vicious cycle of election, military coup and a new constitution had taken place again and again since Thailand became a constitutional monarchy in 1932. “Thailand is the only country to have 20 constitutions. Most other countries have only one or two each,” he said.

Chavalit served as the Royal Thai Army commander-in-chief from 1986 to 1990, and was prime minister from 1996 to 1997.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30345777

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-19

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

If he had not done a runner,and completed his sentence,most likely

6 months in a VIP cell, not with 20 other sweaty inmates,he would

be free to do what he wants,except be PM again as convicted criminals

are not allowed to be.

I think his greatest wish would be to return to Thailand on a white horse

and save the country

regards Worgeordie

I can't imagine Thaksin thinking white horse, perhaps a more neutral tone might be more acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

If he had not done a runner,and completed his sentence,most likely

6 months in a VIP cell, not with 20 other sweaty inmates,he would

be free to do what he wants,except be PM again as convicted criminals

are not allowed to be.

I think his greatest wish would be to return to Thailand on a white horse

and save the country

regards Worgeordie

Maybe house arrest or held in Officer's quarters under quard on a base but  where are these so-called VIP cells? Perhaps you can provide a link?  Thai prisons don't offer aircon and a room service menu with ensuite "massages" available from 10AM-10PM either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zaphod reborn said:

There's a nice room waiting for him at the Bangkok Hilton.

I don't think so, he's a clever boy. This has been done to keep the interest in PT, those rural voters sitting on the fence may now be convinced to vote for the party as the 'saviour' is now coming back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I don't think so, he's a clever boy. This has been done to keep the interest in PT, those rural voters sitting on the fence may now be convinced to vote for the party as the 'saviour' is now coming back.

I must be confused. I thought the present PM was the Supreme Saviour?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mikebell said:
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I can't imagine Thaksin thinking white horse, perhaps a more neutral tone might be more acceptable.

A red one to match his shirt

Are you sure you're not thinking of a red bull?

Edited by bluesofa