Renting out rooms daily or weekly? You better read this.

webfact

Renting out rooms daily or weekly? You better read this.

There has been some lumpy enforcement and crackdowns around the country since specific laws came into place in 2016.

By The Thaiger

Screen-Shot-2018-05-20-at-1.25.07-PM.png

SCREENGRAB: AirBnB website

Illegal short-term holiday rentals, advertised and promoted by online portals like Air BnB, are coming under increasing scrutiny from authorities. Although there has been laws preventing short-term property rentals acting as ‘hotels’, the law has been loosely enforced with some condo developments around the country acting as de facto hotels and listing in many online booking websites.

This week says a court in Hua Hin ruled it was illegal for people to rent out their condos or rooms on a daily or weekly basis.

While AirBnB was not specifically mentioned in the Hua Hin court case, the home-share system has grown to the point where Thailand’s legally registered hotels are calling foul.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/lifestyle/property/renting-out-rooms-daily-or-weekly-you-better-read-this

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-05-21

Yes, I remember reading about this issue in Phuket a few years back. I'd be extremely careful about investing in property rentals such as condo, beach or party houses for daily/ weekly rental as the future of these businesses is uncertain.

Edited by fullcave
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

sounds like all the news is about condo building, i wonder if private houses renting out rooms is still considered ok?

You do what you want with your house as your not within a strata scheme with other owners which are bound by laws within the strata scheme.

6 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Off topic this is about the 30 day law not your decision to have 4 kids.

What are you on about mate, read the article again and don't try to act like a Moderator using words, "off topic" !

This week says a court in Hua Hin ruled it was illegal for people to rent out their condos or rooms on a daily or weekly basis.

This about daily and weekly rentals and that's exactly what I was referring too, I don't know, some people get all wound up for nothing because of their emotions, get a grip and be happy the development you are in has passed a by-law for no short term rentals under 3 months and enforce it.

Good luck trying to control the masses seeking alternatives because of a controlled hotel environment that has no commercial competition that is now crying foul, ever stayed in a hotel where people are noisy and trash things, ever see them enforce anything, welcome to the real world.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

The law is clear and has been for years. No rentals under 30 days it's illegal. My condo enforced this years ago and allows only 3 months + and I voted for it at our AGM. Why?  because I don't want tons strangers in and out, I don't want condo staff used for this, I don't want tons of short stayers in the pool and for security reasons.

But what if the developper has an hotel license ?!

Welcome to the LOS where the powers to be protect the hotel industry monopoly from all the cheeky upstart 'mom and pop' outfits that threaten to nibble at the fringes of their profits centers. 

Edited by connda
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

I understand your point of view , but please be aware that there are Thai people who rent out their properties short term , too . That new law should apply to foreigners and thai than ...

?at  same time i guess we would have to ban 'Thais from buying apartments / condos in Australia or maybe other foreign countries may ban Thais as well u might be onto something ban all , great for unemployment ? i guess that would make you happy i will vote for that, would that keep u happy u probably would not buy apartment outside thailand but if u could maybe u would , Chinese ,Japanese , Malaysian  irish. english,indians,arabs list goes on and on + odd Thais Do buy apartments here helps keep employment growth up , we should actually increase for thais only pay more entry fees parks all touristy things thats fair 

Edited by Mad mick
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, NextStationBangkok said:

What about rural community home stay and farm stay in the north ?

They  will probably be registered,and operating legally,the issue is with Condo's renting out rooms,and taking away the Hoteliers business.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Some of that is also because ( foreign ) people that buy property in my country only to make money off of it 

The court decision was about Huahin ...I was for 2 months in Huahin not long ago: 

From my mother experience, the majority of condos are not owned by foreigners, but by Thai from Bangkok.

And the condos are mostly new developments, therefore the effect on local rents is negligible... However, the effects on formerly nice, quiet, pittoresque areas is terrible.