Stop foreigners taking our jobs - hairdressers march on the town hall to present protest letter

snoop1130

Stop foreigners taking our jobs - hairdressers march on the town hall to present protest letter

ytry.JPG

A group of north eastern barbers and hairdressers are demanding that their profession is not opened up to foreigners. 

They alone want the right to snip and beautify the Thai people and don't want any "neighbors" muscling in on the action.

This term usually refers to people from Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. 

President of the Sakon Nakhon barbers and salon operators association Janthipha Khwanwatana presented a letter to governor Withaya Janchalong saying he should oppose government plans to open the trade up to foreigners.

Janthipha accepted that the government has not made its mind up yet but she and her members believed it was a done deal.

She said that it is hard enough to get customers as it is and if the foreigners are given the right her members will be in dire straits. 

She demanded that hairdressing remain a Thai only job and suggested that other occupations be opened up to Thailand's neighbors. 

Source: https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/645336

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-5-24

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a country that is usually reluctant to "open" any jobs for foreigners, I would guess that the government discovered that there was a shortage of hairdressers hence the need to get foreigb help. ?

I'm sure Janthipha Khwanwatana has looked at the big picture. ?

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Seems totally fair., And they need to enforce not allowing the Thaiyai to sell food at markets under their own booth. Just ain’t right 

OK, I know it is late, and, yes I am old, but I have no idea what this means?

4 hours ago, BEVUP said:

At least they stick up for their jobs, not like the other half of the world where it doesn't matter if your a Citizen 

Their system seems to be letting them down in comparison with the other half of the world. 

Competition is ultimately good for them (if they compete), but we can't expect a bunch of "hair dressers" to know that. 

If 1) the Thai hairdressers turned OFF their TVs when they're cutting my hair and 2) cut it to a consistant standard, I'd always go back to the same hairdresser. 

They stop mid way through the cut to gawk at the telly and still expect me (us) to go back to them?!?!

Open the martket I say! 

It might actually improve the standards and the work ethics here. 

1 hour ago, djayz said:

If 1) the Thai hairdressers turned OFF their TVs when they're cutting my hair and 2) cut it to a consistant standard, I'd always go back to the same hairdresser. 

They stop mid way through the cut to gawk at the telly and still expect me (us) to go back to them?!?!

Open the martket I say! 

It might actually improve the standards and the work ethics here. 

oh come on, give me a break. there are plenty of quality hair salons in bangkok where you can get a hair cut easily comparable to what you can get in europe. i know because i use them.

I know about a farang hair dresser in Bangkok , he takes care of all the hi-so ladies. Very exclusive for the rich and famous. He should be worried now.  

The Thais expect to have a monopoly on everything Thailand, yet they expect to be given equal rights when or if they travel or decide to live in another country.

They want the benefits of being part of the Asean community, it`s motto being; one identify, one community, and still want other members of that community to be third class subjects in Thailand. some one should inform the Thais, that they can`t always have their cake and eat it.

6 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

OK, I know it is late, and, yes I am old, but I have no idea what this means?

Thai Yai are the Burmese. They are now doing everything even though it is banned to have their own business. Speaking from the Chiang Mai side. 

And stylists world wide will seek to move to the sticks of Thailand to cut hair if its lifted!

Haircuts here are great.  The service cheap and easy.  In the UK hairdressers/barbers are greedy holes and expect a tip.  I had a hair cut, my washing machine "looked at" and a new tyre fitted in a day in the UK.  Cost me a fortune.  Keep them and the other over priced sods out!!!

Because protectionism always works. Thai economics at its finest. Meanwhile, my girlfriend tells me that her employer (Thai) is hiring Burmese workers to do menial jobs because they don't have to pay them minimum wage.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

They alone want the right to snip and beautify the Thai people and don't want any "neighbors" muscling in on the action. 

How about a joint venture?

Neighbours could wash and cut, while Thais blow and dry.

3 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

They want the benefits of being part of the Asean community, it`s motto being; one identify, one community, and still want other members of that community to be third class subjects in Thailand. some one should inform the Thais, that they can`t always have their cake and eat it.

Maybe tell the Eskimos too - you can't have your kayak and heat it.

Well, how interesting is this. So tell Khon Thai there is no more "Fuji" unless prepared and served by Japanese, MK is off the menu and so is literally all the ice cream; latter not a Thai invention. 

Pathetic rubbish - if a Vietnamese cuts hair better, faster, cheaper, nicer, politer then Khon Thai needs to adjust their business model - simple as that! 

2 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, how interesting is this. So tell Khon Thai there is no more "Fuji" unless prepared and served by Japanese, MK is off the menu and so is literally all the ice cream; latter not a Thai invention. 

Pathetic rubbish - if a Vietnamese cuts hair better, faster, cheaper, nicer, politer then Khon Thai needs to adjust their business model - simple as that! 

Can The Thai person go and cut hair in Vietnam ?

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

oh come on, give me a break. there are plenty of quality hair salons in bangkok where you can get a hair cut easily comparable to what you can get in europe. i know because i use them.

Well of course there are some good ones, but there are a lot that aren't so good. 

Competition is good.

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Can The Thai person go and cut hair in Vietnam ?

Good question. Legally speaking yes, it is covered in the AEC2015 "free movement of people within ASEAN". The issue here though is that certain professions (i.e. ice carving, hair dressing, architecture, tour guiding) are for Thai people only. It is an old decree though and might need to be reviewed/kicked out.

Point is, if "alien" can cut hair to the extend that the locals demonstrate it is either an orchestrated show - or - the alien is doing something better, cheaper, faster, cleaner, air-conditioned, offroad parking, what-ever. 

I believe in free market mechanisms and that includes hair dressing as a profession.  

While these Thais Are fighting for there living may I suggest on building sites they only use Thai Labour. There are so many men in Thailand doing nothing. I see lots of building going on but its all done by people from Cambodia Laos and Mayamer. Oops did i say the wrong thing there? That means the Thai men walking around doing nothing might have to work. :sorry:

30 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Good question. Legally speaking yes, it is covered in the AEC2015 "free movement of people within ASEAN". The issue here though is that certain professions (i.e. ice carving, hair dressing, architecture, tour guiding) are for Thai people only. It is an old decree though and might need to be reviewed/kicked out.

Point is, if "alien" can cut hair to the extend that the locals demonstrate it is either an orchestrated show - or - the alien is doing something better, cheaper, faster, cleaner, air-conditioned, offroad parking, what-ever. 

I believe in free market mechanisms and that includes hair dressing as a profession.  

Sounds good in theory but not sure that Asean automatically allows citizens of all countries to freely go and work (or even visit) in the other countries, if that was the case all Thai hairdressers would be working in Singapore.

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Surprised Thai companies are not then complaining about losing out to farang companies in supermarkets. Banning ALL foods made outside Thailand. the principle is the same - being unable to accept competition in any way.

??? Imagine if everything not originally Thai was removed from Thailand. No phones, cars, tv, electricity, railways, airports, computers, internet................... the list is endless.

Archived