Foreign prisoners to be transferred home

Foreign prisoners to be transferred home

By Piyanuch Tamnukasetchai 
The Nation

n6.jpeg

File photo

The Corrections Department has approved the transfer of 16 foreign inmates to serve their remaining time behind bars in their home countries.

There are 10 inmates from Iran and while one each from Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands, Japan, Laos and the United Kingdom, department chief Narat Sawettanan said following the prisoner transfer committee's meeting on Friday. 

Narat explained that the Convention on the Transfer of Sentenced People is required for foreign prisoner transfers and a tri-party agreement must be obtained for each case: the transferring state, the receiving state and the inmate who will be transferred. 

A prisoner, proven to be qualified by the Procedure for International Cooperation in the Enforcement of Penal Sentences Act 1984 who obtained a nod from the prisoner transfer committee, must also have their case finalised in court, have served more than one third of the sentence and still have at least a year to be jailed at the home country. 

Narat said that the department so far had transferred 1,082 foreign prisoners to their home countries since 1990 under the 1984 act. Thailand has the conventional agreement with 37 countries including France, Spain, Canada, the UK, the US, Germany, Nigeria, Cambodia and Japan. 

Only 17 Thais had been transferred to serve remaining jail time in Thailand. 

Such prisoner transfer is an opportunity granted to the inmates to be in their home countries, near to families and relatives, and thus be helpful in their behavioural improvement to turn a new leaf before release back to society, he said. 

This also helped reduce Thai prison crowding.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30346261

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-25
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There might be a couple of countries on that list where the home prisons are actually worse than the Thai ones, perhaps Cambodia and Nigeria.  For the others, I'd assume it would be a considerable improvement.

Actually, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Japanese prison system has a particularly unpleasant regime - especially if you're a foreigner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The law is the law and must be respected by all..

......but if people have been arrested by entering on Visa Exempt and only because thir "crime" was they overstayed say for 15 days.........then such a manner to proceed is a grotesque circus.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Worse than here???

From what I recall, whilst cleaner and less crowded, it sounded harsher, and mind numbingly tedious - having to sit cross legged and still, in silence, for hours on end. That sort of thing

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

No they do not . The UK are building jails in Nigeria for UK Nigerien prisoners

I hadn't heard about that and had to look it up on Google. Seems to be a very reasonable and humanitarian (partial) solution to prison overcrowding in the UK - probably cost effective too.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-nigeria-prison/uk-to-build-prison-wing-in-lagos-to-transfer-nigerian-prisoners-idUSKCN1GK1BA

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Only 17 Thais had been transferred to serve remaining jail time in Thailand. 

The article states that, under the convention, the prisoner has to agree to the transfer. So it's hardly surprising that a Thai imprisoned in a Western country would not choose to come home to Thailand, where he would suffer overcrowded cells, stale rice and fish head soup.

Edited by chickenslegs

9 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The  milk of human kindness by the junta spills over. Believe that if you will!

Some year ago (long before the junta) I read a book "The Last Executioner", about the last guy to use the gun for executions.

He stated that Westerners only serve 8 years of a "life" or very long sentence before being transferred back to their home countries.

Thailand has a similar sized population to the UK, it also has about triple the prison population, only poor people. obviously!

Edited by Andrew65

10 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Is this new?  Heard of it happening before. 

As per the article, it has been going on since 1990, in fact I knew of one guy that was sentenced to 40 years here in the early 90's, ended up going back to the UK prison system in the late 90's and was released sometime in mid 2000's.

9 hours ago, JAG said:

From what I recall, whilst cleaner and less crowded, it sounded harsher, and mind numbingly tedious - having to sit cross legged and still, in silence, for hours on end. That sort of thing

Why take pity on criminals?

I'd rather criminals don't enjoy their time, and don't use it either to be used as "girlfriends" as apparently happens in US prisons, or to learn how to be better criminals, as apparently happens in western prisons.

Why would a Thai want to be transferred from a nice comfortable U.K. prison back to some hell hole prison in Thailand no wonder only 17 have only been transferred over all these years . I know someone in prison on the island of Koh Samui who would would love to know that he was being transferred back to his homeland he has aged by 15 years in his year there and has still 3 years to go he claims he was stitched up .

Simple cure. Educate tourists or expats  not to bring any alcohol into or out of the country watch them cry no scam to act on. Bit like the stupid standoff on large bottles of wine or boxed wine, supplies have all dried up because of customs and tax. Yet they still keep the same number of pretties in the booze department doing even less work, lol they hide behind displays sitting on the ground either FB or Line, Thailand's only current work.

• Confused 1