Brit, 31, found dead in Bangkok hotel room

webfact

Devastated dad loses second child as son dies in Thai tragedy 12 years after teenage daughter's death

John Cairnie reveals his heartache about son Joe's passing and the bid to bring him home so he can be buried next to his sister Suzanne.

By Amanda Keenan

dad.jpg

Devastated dad John Cairnie lost 15-year-old daughter Suzanne in 2006 and now his son Joe has been found dead in a hotel room in Bangkok (Image: Daily Record/Facebook)

A father who lost a teenage daughter in a tragic road accident has spoken of his family’s fresh heartbreak after his oldest son died suddenly on holiday.

Joe Cairnie, 31, was found dead in a hotel room in Bangkok, Thailand, on Sunday after worried friends raised the alarm when they were unable to contact him.

His devastated family are now planning to bring Joe home so he can be buried next to his sister Suzanne, who was just 15 when she was mown down by a car moments after stepping off a bus in Glasgow in 2006.

Full story: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/familys-horror-devastated-dad-loses-12652891

-- Daily Record 2018-06-06

• Sad 6

what's wrong with a cremation in Thailand and ashes posted back

Good question. It would be much cheaper than flying a body all the way to Scotland, and much more sensible, though the £9000 raised would easily cover that also.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

what's wrong with a cremation in Thailand and ashes posted back

Good question. It would be much cheaper than flying a body all the way to Scotland, and much more sensible, though the £9000 raised would easily cover that also.

Those are my instructions to my relatives in the case of my demise in Asia.  My expat and Thai co-workers were copied in to get the ball rolling in case my loved ones were tardy.   Then there's no angst on anyone's part or temptation to waste a bunch of money out of misplaced sentiment.  (Edit: or a high pressure sales pitch)

Something to consider for anyone who hasn't made those arrangements.  I did it on my way into hospital for a bypass. 

Just to be clear, I'm not pushing that option.  Just suggesting that people get their ducks in a row regardless of how they want it done.  Takes one pressure off of grieving relatives.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, James HKT said:

Indeed. I have known two instances, one a young healthy guy in his twenties and another chap in his thirties who just went to sleep one night and never woke up, they had stopped breathing during the night and died. In both cases the only explanation was a condition similar to cot death neither had any know medical conditions and led heathly lives. 

Yes. At our local temple, where they have therapeutic massage, a 27 yr old Thai died of a massive heart attack during massage... no foul play... no nasty assumptions... people die at any age. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, happy chappie said:

what is even more sad is how the father has been left to beg for money to bring him back to Scotland and bury him because he was happy go lucky and never had £30-40 travel insurance.over £9000 has already been raised  and what's wrong with a cremation in Thailand and ashes posted back.myself I'm getting a bit fed up with these stories of no insurance.

They may want a proper post mortem performed in the UK as Thai results are often less than satisfactory!

• Like 1

Alot of hotels in Thailand use fumigates ( cheap)   that are banned in the west.   If there is any residual gas in their room a guests lungs can lock up while sleeping  EXPECIALLY  if you have asthma to any degree.  If you're alone and  dont have a  ventolin puffer handy you'll die.

Its one of the most dangerous aspects of travelling through Asia but rarely discussed.

No-one - even mild asthmatics- should stay in cheap hotels in SEAsia.

We've already disccussed the hotel in CM that took many young & older  travellers lives before it was shuttered.

Did this Brit have asthma?

Edited by lanista
  • Like 2