In bombshell, Trump says U.S. backs out of G7 communique, criticizes Trudeau

rooster59

Good odds Trump will be reelected? Somehow doubt that. And even then, a permanent rift between the US and Europe is still not a forgone conclusion.
All incumbents are heavily favored. He's a hot mess but if the economy still looks superficially good in 2020 and he's still around to run yes tragically he would likely win.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Volkswagen Chattanooga Assembly Plant    8001 Volkswagen Dr. Chattanooga, Tennessee 37416    Volkswagen Passat, Volkswagen Atlas

BMW US Manufacturing Company, LLC    1400 Hwy 101 S. Greer, South Carolina 29651    BMW X3, BMW X4, BMW X5, BMW X6, BMW X7 (planned)

Mercedes-Benz U.S. International, Inc.    1 Mercedes Dr. Vance, Alabama 35490    Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class, Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class, Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Mercedes-Benz Vans, LLC.    8501 Palmetto Commerce Pkwy, Ladson, South Carolina 29456    Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, Mercedes-Benz Metris (CKD, reassembly only)

While many foreign auto makers have plants in the USA, one only needs to see the Port of Los Angeles and Long Beach to see the number of foreign imports sitting on the lots in the harbor.  Still a large number of imports made elsewhere.

11 hours ago, Grouse said:

The world doesn't want the USA. Stay home with your dreadful food. I think American cars should come with a local subsidy they are so bad ?

If American fast food was so bad there would be no franchises in Europe, Asia, South America and Africa.  Someone is eating it and it isn't just the American tourist.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Trouble said:

If American fast food was so bad there would be no franchises in Europe, Asia, South America and Africa.  Someone is eating it and it isn't just the American tourist.  

Fast food is like a drug, cant stop it!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not the American people that's for sure. The American people have been hijacked by a bizarre authoritarian Putin lackey. Maybe we can weather one term of this madness. 

"McCain to allies: 'Americans stand with you, even if our president doesn't'"

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/06/09/politics/mccain-statement-trade/index.html

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Good cop, bad cop. Whatever Trump does or does not accomplish, whoever follows him will have the great benefit of his staking out what appear to be extreme positions, though not really very much. It is just the manner in which they are delivered that is extreme. Any mitigation of that posture  should be well received and progress should be made. After all, in the broad sense, Trump isn't too far wrong about America being the World's "piggy bank". America affords many other countries the luxury of paying only for what they want, while America pays for what they need, while foregoing the wants of its own populace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, simple1 said:

Trump again is applying layers of misinformation.. For example the 270% tariff on US dairy product only applies to specific item/s and only if US imports exceed an already agreed quota. BTW if Canada waived quotas on US dairy imports would likely destroy the Canadian dairy industry.

To me Trump's unilateral 'America First' ideology, is either wilfully or by ignorance, going to the destroy world trade system that has provided stability and dispute resolution under WTO rules. If Trump wishes to resolve his concerns he should work though the WTO, not via an ideological platform which pragmatically translates as 'you lose, I win'. Among the losers will be the US worker if Trump carries on his current course with steel and aluminium tariffs, who are forecast to lose more than 400k jobs across the manufacturing supply chain.

OK, now I understand! 

Canada cannot waive tariffs on diary because it would destroy Canada's diary industry.  At the same time Canada must strenuously protest Trump's aluminum tariffs even though everyone (including Canada) is working to destroy the US's aluminum industry?

Now I guess that seems fair to the never Trumpers.

As for the WTO, it is a total ... wait for it...  JOKE!

Don't believe me take your complaints about Trump's tariffs to the WTO and in two or three years you might get an answer.  We in the US have won hundreds of cases against China, which up till now China has totally ignored.  That is, nothing has changed.

• Sad 2

I call on all decent Americans to apologize to Canadians for the sleazy shabby behavior of our accidental president. Canada has been our best friend. Let's keep it that way in spite of the toxic noise coming from the big loud mouth of the orange commander of chaos. 

I realize Trudeau isn't perfect and may never live down the silly costumes he wore in India. But his flaws are in the range of a normal politician. The flaws of "trump" are off the charts. 

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I call on all decent Americans to apologize to Canadians for the sleazy shabby behavior of our accidental president. Canada has been our best friend. Let's keep it that way in spite of the toxic noise coming from the big loud mouth of the orange commander of chaos. 

I realize Trudeau isn't perfect and may never live down the silly costumes he wore in India. But his flaws are in the range of a normal politician. The flaws of "trump" are off the charts. 

This is laughable. Go sit with John McCain he is onboard with you. The most of us and some Canadians disagree.

…………………./´¯/)
………………..,/¯../
………………./…./
…………./´¯/’…’/´¯¯`•¸
………./’/…/…./……./¨¯
……..(’(…´…´…. ¯~/’…’)
……………………..’…../
……….’'…………. _.•´
……………………..(
…………..………….…

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

"Sounds good until you learn that US made vehicles get hit with a 25% tax upon entering the EU.    25%!!!!! "

Where did you get those numbers?

"The standard tariff for importing cars to the U.S. is 2.5 percent of their value. For pickup trucks and commercial vans, the tariff is a whopping 25 percent. Individual European countries don’t charge import duties, but the European Union charges a flat rate of 10 percent on imported automobiles."    https://www.caranddriver.com/features/free-trade-cars-why-a-useurope-free-trade-agreement-is-a-good-idea-feature

25% is the total of "border adjustment" taxes.

Your are neglecting to factor in the scam known as VAT, which is applied in addition to tariffs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Watchful said:

25% is the total of "border adjustment" taxes.

Your are neglecting to factor in the scam known as VAT, which is applied in addition to tariffs.

VAT is imposed all, or almost all, purchases.  It is similar to the sales taxes used across the US.  Do you consider sales taxes tariffs?

Instead of presenting numbers as facts, why not tell us where your numbers come from?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChidlomDweller said:

Facts are like water on a duck for Trump supporters, but for the rest of us:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/09/reuters-america-factbox-import-tariffs-eu-versus-united-states.html

The fact is plain and simple the past POTUS were stuck on the WTO and their global dictatorship.

Finally someone comes by and says enough,fair is fair. A new day for American's.China ,Germany and Putin can take the helm now.Good luck

3 hours ago, Watchful said:

OK, now I understand! 

Canada cannot waive tariffs on diary because it would destroy Canada's diary industry.  

No you don't understand, I did not make that claim. I referred to tariffs when exceeding agreed quotas. Maybe the following will assist...

https://www.dairyfarmers.ca/farmers-voice/farm-policy/there-s-no-monopoly-on-supporting-dairy

Edited by simple1

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

As explained before, the US dollar trade surplus in other countries is used to buy US Treasuries, funding Trump's trillion dollar budget deficits.  Get rid of the budget deficit and these countries will have nothing to do with their US dollars than buy US goods, eliminating the trade deficit.

Politicians, at least those with a minimal amount of economic knowledge (not Trump), know we can't get rid of the trade deficit while the government is running huge budget deficits.  They don't care: They love spending borrowed money and assume the voters won't figure it out.  Unfortunately, they seem to be correct.

You know, you don't HAVE TO buy goods denominated in a given currency just because you hold that currency. You can exchange the currency to another in a split second. You're making more or less the same argument as the fallacious "petrodollar" argument, which is BS.

1 hour ago, riclag said:

The fact is plain and simple the past POTUS were stuck on the WTO and their global dictatorship.

Finally someone comes by and says enough,fair is fair. A new day for American's.China ,Germany and Putin can take the helm now.Good luck

1 hour ago, riclag said:

I think the people of the G6 trust the leader of China far more than that disaster Trump.  The USA was already in decline. Trump is just hastening that fact by making enemies of friends while China quietly increases it's influence country buy country, continent by continent.

Edited by pegman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

Facts are like water on a duck for Trump supporters, but for the rest of us:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/09/reuters-america-factbox-import-tariffs-eu-versus-united-states.html

Thanks for sharing this link , 

To support Trump you have to be very poorly informed and get your opinions based upon limited sources. So you can ignore facts. 

Just like Trump. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

You know, you don't HAVE TO buy goods denominated in a given currency just because you hold that currency. You can exchange the currency to another in a split second. You're making more or less the same argument as the fallacious "petrodollar" argument, which is BS.

You know, eventually those dollars have to be used in the country of origin.  They can be shuffled around between other countries for a while, but if they never return to the US, then the trade surplus countries will be letting us print money, buy goods with it, then never have to worry about what they will do with the dollars.  When we want more foreign goods we can just print more money--Why should we care? Once we send the money overseas it will never come back to haunt us.

Of course it doesn't work that way.  The money we spend overseas can be used to buy US goods (reducing the trade deficit), invest in the US (reducing the trade deficit, but we need to be careful about who is investing, how and why) or buy US Treasuries (funding the government deficit while earning interest on the trade surplus dollars and giving the overseas holders leverage on the US government and economy). 

In short, the money we send overseas will eventually be used to buy US goods. invest in the US, or fund the deficit.  The first two options reduce the trade deficit.  The more we reduce the Federal deficit the more we force the trade surplus countries to the first two options.  Trump and other politicians who run up huge budget deficits and cry about the trade deficit are hypocrites or idiots, or both.

• Like 1