helmet with built in camera

Thian

8 hours ago, Hummin said:
14 hours ago, katana said:

Why not just mount a GoPro on the handlebars with a handlebar mount?

I guess the whole point is to have a "eye" view when filming. 

Go pro is boxy, but I prefer that camera that involves alot of water, but there is som few other cams you can choose from, and connected to a power bank in your pocket or so, you will have quite a few hour of action. 

GoPros have such a wide field of view I suspect there would not be much difference in the video between helmet or handlebar mounted. Typical Gopro battery life for eg the 5 is about 2 hours.

GoPros have such a wide field of view I suspect there would not be much difference in the video between helmet or handlebar mounted. Typical Gopro battery life for eg the 5 is about 2 hours.
Field of vision would be different because the head will be looking around at interesting things, with handlebars its fixed. Plus when talking to a cop its different
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 10:59 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 6/13/2018 at 10:44 AM, katana said:

Field of vision would be different because the head will be looking around at interesting things, with handlebars its fixed. Plus when talking to a cop its different

Yeah plus if i mount it on the handlebars it might get stolen...i'm so lazy, i just want a cam which is always in my helmet, runs automatically when i drive, doesn't have to get charged (solar power) and can be accessed by wifi so i don't have to connect any cables.

I know my demands are high so i'll have to buy it myself i guess, fine with me.

That Ghost x cam from 139 quid looks perfect to mount on my helmet...if i can extend the cable to the lens that is. I'll glue the rest on the back or so.

On 6/13/2018 at 11:32 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Someone mentioned drones: This is where many people who build drones buy cameras:

http://www.surveilzone.com/Cameras-t-310

Great website! Yes with parts from this site anybody can build a camera in their helmet.

I need a totally invisible cam though, so when i have to speak to the police it will film them right in their face without them knowing it. Those will be the best video's i guess, you hab dlivurlessu?? dlivurrr dlivurr, you show me? Where you flom? Where you go?

Great website! Yes with parts from this site anybody can build a camera in their helmet.

I need a totally invisible cam though, so when i have to speak to the police it will film them right in their face without them knowing it. Those will be the best video's i guess, you hab dlivurlessu?? dlivurrr dlivurr, you show me? Where you flom? Where you go?

A visible camera can be a deterrent to a policeman to stop a rider. I've seen a policeman wave a bike on once

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, Thian said:

A visible camera can be a deterrent to a policeman to stop a rider. I've seen a policeman wave a bike on once

When they notice that i'm farang they also love to wave me on...or they start laughing very loud and fighting with eachother who of them has to go speak to me. They act like 5 year old schoolboys giggling about the strange big farang that they stopped and now they don't know what to do.

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Yeah plus if i mount it on the handlebars it might get stolen...i'm so lazy, i just want a cam which is always in my helmet, runs automatically when i drive, doesn't have to get charged (solar power) and can be accessed by wifi so i don't have to connect any cables.

I know my demands are high so i'll have to buy it myself i guess, fine with me.

That Ghost x cam from 139 quid looks perfect to mount on my helmet...if i can extend the cable to the lens that is. I'll glue the rest on the back or so.

Only if you left it on there when you parked the bike. It takes a few seconds to unscrew it from the mount and take the camera with you.2m2818m.jpg

You could also try a chest mount. I've used them before, they work fine.

Edited by katana

6 hours ago, katana said:

Only if you left it on there when you parked the bike. It takes a few seconds to unscrew it from the mount and take the camera with you.2m2818m.jpg

You could also try a chest mount. I've used them before, they work fine.

I use my bike for shopping in BKK, don't want to get the camera off all the time and then walk around with it in my pocket. Mostly i even hang my helmet on the mirror when i 'm in the shop, if the camera is invisible i can still do that.

Sunglasses with a camera would also be great but it won't fit a good battery i guess.

18 hours ago, Thian said:

This camera is tiny:

https://www.banggood.com/600TVL-8_0MP-14-2_8mm-CMOS-FPV-170-Degree-Wide-Anlge-Lens-Camera-PALNTSC-p-984345.html

Be aware that this camera and many (maybe all) of the website which I suggested are analogue cameras.

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
20 hours ago, Thian said:

Every time I have been stopped, which isn't many, as soon as the police see my drift mounted to the helmet, the let me go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BBJ said:

Every time I have been stopped, which isn't many, as soon as the police see my drift mounted to the helmet, the let me go.

One of my pest hates in Thailand is other drivers cutting me off without any reason. Even grandma's on scooters do it and after cutting me off they go left in a sidesoi...

I noticed that they don't do that as often if i wear expensive clothes (try it). I still want to try out what happens if i have a big gopro mounted ontop of my helmet. Maybe then they won't cut me off all the time.

One day police stopped me at a main road, while the officer was talking to me a huge dumptruck almost pushed me off the road with his truck, even the policeman had to jump aside for him. 

Another time the officer at the checkpoint told me to go which i did but another officer told the same to his stopped driver. While i passed the other motorbike it suddenly rev'ed and drove into my side. He forgot to look behind him before taking off.

There was only small damage when that bike hit mine but it just shows how clumsy the policemen are. With a camera i feel a lot better in situations like that.

But yeah policecheckpoints are interesting points to film...so many things going wrong there.

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

This camera is tiny:

https://www.banggood.com/600TVL-8_0MP-14-2_8mm-CMOS-FPV-170-Degree-Wide-Anlge-Lens-Camera-PALNTSC-p-984345.html

Be aware that this camera and many (maybe all) of the website which I suggested are analogue cameras.

I don't know the difference between analog and digital cam's...is digital better?

That's a nice tiny cam, one like that is easy to hide in a helmet. 

On 6/12/2018 at 1:15 PM, scubascuba3 said:

If that's what you are using it for and not for secretly recording cops then just have a gopro type camera on the helmet or use a harness, much simpler than drilling holes and all that nonsense. Batteries only last around an hour so yes best to get a usb attachment to the battery somehow

but, what if the purpose of the camera is secretly recording police,

what is the best way to go ?

9 hours ago, Thian said:

I don't know the difference between analog and digital cam's...is digital better?

That's a nice tiny cam, one like that is easy to hide in a helmet. 

Analogue or digital are different. It's like gasoline and diesel, one it not better than the other, they work in different ways.

That 10 USD tiny camera is just a camera with one analogue output (like the yellow cable which was used 20 years ago to connect a video recorder with the TV). You need external power, a "video recorder", etc. It's not rocket science but a lot more complicated than just taking a GoPro and putting and SD card in...

17 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Analogue or digital are different. It's like gasoline and diesel, one it not better than the other, they work in different ways.

That 10 USD tiny camera is just a camera with one analogue output (like the yellow cable which was used 20 years ago to connect a video recorder with the TV). You need external power, a "video recorder", etc. It's not rocket science but a lot more complicated than just taking a GoPro and putting and SD card in...

Yes i thought about that, i saw gopro's with wifi, can they send the recorded movies to my laptop over wifi? That's what i want.

Or i could let a camera send to a receiver in the motobike which records all on a card and sends it to my laptop by wifi when i get home.

The thing is, i don't want to charge any batteries (has to go automatic), i don't want to bring my helmet or camera inside the house, i don't want to do anything at all in fact...just drive my motobike and all goes automatic. So when i come home the movie automatically is on my laptop, next day again a new movie.

Yes Gopro might give a better image but i don't need the very best quality. It's all for fun.

I think you expect to much, and if this is what you want, you have to pay the money to get someone build it for you, or you have to build it ourselves. I already gave you the link for the prototypes, maybe give him an mail, and see what he can do for you!

• Like 1

Anyway, an cell phone cam is what you look for, wired to a powerbank and the phone in your pocket, Film live on fb directly to your account! Easy to adjust who is going to see your live movie on fb using the settings. 

• Like 2

If an internet search found nothing you want, then as said above ...

A. build it yourself

B. spend the $$$ and buy one ready made.

I want to wash in a bathtub of gold ...

I want 97 kilos already rolled ...

As the song goes

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Actually it's not like gasoline and diesel, digital is better in every way.

Analog does just have one indirect advantage: Live streaming the signal requires less hardware (cheaper, less energy) and has a lower delay than a digital signal. So it's used for stuff like drone racing, the worse image quality is not important for this purpose.

OP definitely wants a digital camera

18 minutes ago, Thian said:

Yes i thought about that, i saw gopro's with wifi, can they send the recorded movies to my laptop over wifi? That's what i want.

Or i could let a camera send to a receiver in the motobike which records all on a card and sends it to my laptop by wifi when i get home.

The thing is, i don't want to charge any batteries (has to go automatic), i don't want to bring my helmet or camera inside the house, i don't want to do anything at all in fact...just drive my motobike and all goes automatic. So when i come home the movie automatically is on my laptop, next day again a new movie.

Yes Gopro might give a better image but i don't need the very best quality. It's all for fun.

Wifi is just kinda slow, even if you have a fast wifi, if you recorded a whole day it would probably take all night to transfer the data on your laptop when you are using wifi. If you use a cable or plug the SD card in your laptop it maybe takes 30 minutes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Actually it's not like gasoline and diesel, digital is better in every way.

Analog does just have one indirect advantage: Live streaming the signal requires less hardware (cheaper, less energy) and has a lower delay than a digital signal. So it's used for stuff like drone racing, the worse image quality is not important for this purpose.

OP definitely wants a digital camera

Wifi is just kinda slow, even if you have a fast wifi, if you recorded a whole day it would probably take all night to transfer the data on your laptop when you are using wifi. If you use a cable or plug the SD card in your laptop it maybe takes 30 minutes.

Oh i see, well my laptop has a thunderbolt port which is 4x faster than usb 3..so i need a cam with that connector if possible. I never used that port but it's for sound and image on high speed.

Yes the ultimate would be a cam who has a simcard with 4G and can transfer all moves to a facebook account or Onedrive in the cloud. 

So i want a digital cam, waterproof with Thunderbolt port. 

10 minutes ago, Thian said:

Oh i see, well my laptop has a thunderbolt port which is 4x faster than usb 3..so i need a cam with that connector if possible. I never used that port but it's for sound and image on high speed.

Yes the ultimate would be a cam who has a simcard with 4G and can transfer all moves to a facebook account or Onedrive in the cloud. 

So i want a digital cam, waterproof with Thunderbolt port. 

A standard USB 3.0 connection is way faster than the speed of the fastest micro SD cards already, so Thunderbolt does not give you any advantage

As somebody mentioned before already, what you are looking for just doesn't exist. Either get one of the few helmets that have integrated cameras and pay the price, attach an action camera to the outside of the helmet, or build something by yourself ?

Basically for what you plan to do, you would have to take any action camera, disamble it and connect the "camera part" (objective and what is attached to it) to the "body part" using a cable. The objective part is probably quite small so that you can hide it

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I linked to the kickstarter project earlier in this tread, and here is it 

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I linked to the kickstarter project earlier in this tread, and here is it 

There was another brand named "Skully" which had 360 degree cams on top but they are bankrupt.

If i use a 360 cam on top i need another motobike cause my helmet won't fit under the buddy anymore.

I have an old helmet i can use for this project, if all works fine i'll build it in a brand new one.

I think there is an easy solution to what you want. It's called smartphone. Just put it in your shirt pocket with the camera pointing outward and that's it. Most people won't "see" it, it's just a mobile phone. And it does all you want...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jackdd said:

A standard USB 3.0 connection is way faster than the speed of the fastest micro SD cards already, so Thunderbolt does not give you any advantage

As somebody mentioned before already, what you are looking for just doesn't exist. Either get one of the few helmets that have integrated cameras and pay the price, attach an action camera to the outside of the helmet, or build something by yourself ?

Oh i see, well i don't need SD anyway if i can connect to 4G and use that live blogging function of Facebook. So i need a phone for that and build it in the helmet or similar hardware which can do the same. A small minicomputer with 4G for example. And if it also has a gyroscope it can turn on the cam only when the helmet is moving.

Look at that BMW-helmet, you almost can't see the cam. That visor has rearview projected in it which is cool but i bet the driver has to be busy with batteries every few hours, i don't want that.

bmw-helmet.jpg

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think there is an easy solution to what you want. It's called smartphone. Just put it in your shirt pocket with the camera pointing outward and that's it. Most people won't "see" it, it's just a mobile phone. And it does all you want...

Yes that's what i want but the cam should be mounted in the helmet.