need an agent to update my registration for me

endevor

40 minutes ago, endevor said:

My book is a few years out of date

But the book is still correct for the motorcycle?

How old is the motorcycle? More than 5 years?

In this case it has to undergo an inspection anyway.

What do you need an "agent" for?

Go to your nearest inspection point (workshop) and let them handle.

Pay the outstanding tax and a fine/interest and that's it.

I guess there must be a hundred or more inspection workshops in Bangkok.

What district/area do you live?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I should mention that driving the motorcycle uninsured/untaxed is illegal.

Up to you to weigh the risk of driving it to the nearest inspection workshop.

The workshops will also handle paperwork if no inspection is due (for a fee).

• Like 1

From another thread:

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

The bike is older than 5 years so it also needs a mechanical check before you can pay the tax, for this check you have to go to a place with this sign:

post-81192-0-27856200-1456382403_thumb.jpg.8a49d630932296f1594cd62bef55d301.jpg

If you show this picture to the next best motorbike taxi they can tell you where you find it.

These shops can usually also handle the compulsary insurance and tax for you for a small extra fee (something like 100-200THB extra).

I don't know how it works exactly when you didn't pay for so long, but the people at the shop can probably tell you what has to be done (or you call the DLT and ask) and will probably offer to do it for some extra fee

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I should mention that driving the motorcycle uninsured/untaxed is illegal.

Up to you to weigh the risk of driving it to the nearest inspection workshop.

The workshops will also handle paperwork if no inspection is due (for a fee).

He can buy CTPL before he goes to the m/c workshop.

I owned a bike with I didn't use for years. I asked in a shop if they can register it again. They told me no problem. I just had to pay the tax for the last years and that's it. No extra fine. It seems many shops do this for little money.

Personally I prefer if "agents" =  shops do this. They know exactly what they need and they take care of everything. That's a lot easier than going somewhere yourself, waiting in the queue forever, and then the official asks you (obviously in Thai) about documents x y and z...

I took mine to a shop, tune up, oil spak plugs, then had help with paper work. Kept my mouth shut even though I speak passable thai. G Friend just blamed it on dumb farang. I smiled at right moments .... just extra time - Cheap - relatively.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I took mine to a shop, tune up, oil spak plugs, then had help with paper work. Kept my mouth shut even though I speak passable thai. G Friend just blamed it on dumb farang. I smiled at right moments .... just extra time - Cheap - relatively.

I should get one of those "oil spak plugs" jobs...  ?

Hehe, spak jobs are great. If it is an older bike .. scooter ... . and you have not have it under license they are for sure going to do their check up and if not in good running order, or even something minor is wrong, you are going to have do some work after they inspect it.  

Strangely enough, if it is a bigger bike, a relatively new bike, it is in good condition, and you usually keep those up to date and licensed.    

Go Figure

I brought this bike over to Cambodia 6 years ago and it has been at my house for that time. I'd like to bring it back to Thailand for some riding so I need to be current with the tax to cross the border. It sounds like I need a shop who can take me at my word that it runs well, maybe an additional fee?; and then let them take care of the paperwork. I don't speak Thai and am happier paying someone to do something that is simple for them than to try and stumble through it myself. When I'm in BKK I usually stay in the Sukumvit soi 4 area, but it is easy enough to go wherever I need to talk to an accommodating shop. Anyone have a thought on a specific shop that has worked out well.  Thanks

10 minutes ago, endevor said:

I brought this bike over to Cambodia 6 years ago and it has been at my house for that time. I'd like to bring it back to Thailand for some riding so I need to be current with the tax to cross the border. It sounds like I need a shop who can take me at my word that it runs well, maybe an additional fee?; and then let them take care of the paperwork. I don't speak Thai and am happier paying someone to do something that is simple for them than to try and stumble through it myself. When I'm in BKK I usually stay in the Sukumvit soi 4 area, but it is easy enough to go wherever I need to talk to an accommodating shop. Anyone have a thought on a specific shop that has worked out well.  Thanks

How did you bring the bike to Cambodia? Did you officially permanently export it from Thailand and import it in Cambodia? Probably not, because then you wouldn't have a green book anymore.

So you illegally kept (imported) the bike in Cambodia which means you are liable to import taxes in Cambodia and also to a fine for not paying tax 6 years ago, and a fine for keeping the bike in Cambodia for more than 30 days. And on the Thai side you will also be fined for taking the bike out of the country for more than 30 days, and when you bring it back you might have to officially import it (no idea if this is even possible as a private person), and pay import tax for it.

So to sum it up: Forget bringing the bike back "officially", either you smuggle it across the border or you keep it in Cambodia.