Najomtien cleans up after tide of trash hits Baan Amphur Beach

Rimmer

Najomtien cleans up after tide of trash hits Baan Amphur Beach

image.png

PATTAYA:--Najomtien officials organized a big cleanup of Baan Amphur Beach after waves of rubbish forced swimmers and sunbathers off the sand.

Mayor Sompong Sainapa led civil servants in sweeping up the garbage that washed ashore on the Sattahip sub-district’s beach. Beach vendors had tried to pick up the trash, but were overwhelmed by the sheer amount of it.

So much trash came in on the tide it took two days to remove it all.

Until the plastic bags, foam boxes and glass bottles were cleaned up, residents and tourists were told to avoid the beach.

The trashy tide was the result of high seas and strong winds that kept boats ashore and stirred up the mountain of garbage floating in the Gulf of Thailand. A 20176 report by the nonprofit Ocean Conservancy found that Thailand is one of the world’s top-five worst plastic polluters of the seas.

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-06-22
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, pieeyed said:

Wasn't that pic shown in another trash beach topic not long back?

it might have been but I called into Ban Amphur last weekend and saw all the rubbish myself......some thais were playing/swimming in the sea.....

I will be posting it on my FB. Better on the land than in some poor animal's stomach. Let the people deal with it, they are the ones who throw garbage into all the waterways of Thailand. Go to a Thai waterfall and watch people sitting in the water eating out of their styrofoam boxes and then just send them downstream. Seen it many times.