Saturday Night on Nimmanhamin===LAME!

heybruce

59 minutes ago, moontang said:

There was a lot of friction at the Nimman bars even ten years ago, about the closing times, due to its residential nature.  The noise was always problematic.  Now, you can add greedy landowners and a general crackdown on drinking...so it isn't going to improve there.  There used to be at least six places that resembled college bars in the US, that were focussed on lots of beer drinking+, at cheap prices counted 35 cases of large Leo's being brought in one night.  All were welcome, most farang were too busy brooding or mongering on the east side, but the few, who did go seemed to have saw the light.  Almost no Chinese, too.  About eight years ago....RIP  Nimman. Like Sukhumvit, it is there, but it's not there...so many other choices in BKK, though.

Well put.

The area near Wat Umong seems to have some life in it, perhaps even the new Nimman, but not sure about the nightlife.

4 hours ago, Justfine said:

Found another good restaurant to eat at. Trying kayaking tomorrow.

Might try the Goodview or Riverside Bar if I can stay awake past 9pm.

Not much fun at the moment, river is high, current is strong.

Wait until the weather is better, and the river is safer.

No need to go with the group, the boats are there for hire every day during daylight.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Either you miss the point or are being argumentative. C M is a tourist city, but it has nothing for tourists at night other than restaurants. Thai students are well served with places they like.

Chinese tourists don't go in bars much.

You're making the mistake of thinking anyone here cares if white folk are bored or not.

Sitting here with a friend that runs a food stall at the night market, she says all her customers are Chinese, and charges them 150bht for a plate of grapow moo. She tells me a few years back the white tourists would balk at paying 50bht for the same food, now she doesn't see a white face of an evening.

Edited by BritManToo

26 minutes ago, moontang said:

That movie that brought the Chinese out of their cages, may gave had more of an impact than the Generals.  Was that 2012?

CM Land is kind of peculiar...high land values, flooding...old school Thais...went to a few kind of dodgy coffee shops over there.  Everyone said this girl was 20, including the girl, herself, but I really have my doubts.

Nothing similar to Blar Blar, Neighborhood, Monkey Club, etc?

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You're making the mistake of thinking anyone here cares if white folk are bored or not.

Sitting here with a friend that runs a food stall at the night market, she says all her customers are Chinese, and charges them 150bht for a plate of grapow moo. She tells me a few years back the white tourists would balk at paying 50bht for the same food, now she doesn't see a white face of an evening.

Yet another reason to avoid the night market.

• Thanks 1

Nimman road is grid locked. Seen plenty of Chinese tourists. The night bizaar area is pretty lame. Loads of tourist junk for sale and crap expensive food.

CM is a tourist city. 

If I stop waking up at 4.30am everyday maybe I can stay up and see if there is anything to stay up for.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Either you miss the point or are being argumentative. C M is a tourist city, but it has nothing for tourists at night other than restaurants. Thai students are well served with places they like.

Not that exciting during the day either. Mostly food and repetitive temples. Im just here to relax though. Probably wont come back for 10 years.

3 hours ago, Justfine said:

Nimman road is grid locked. Seen plenty of Chinese tourists. The night bizaar area is pretty lame. Loads of tourist junk for sale and crap expensive food.

CM is a tourist city. 

If I stop waking up at 4.30am everyday maybe I can stay up and see if there is anything to stay up for.

You're still here?  People who post repeatedly on topics that are of no interest to them definitely need to get a hobby.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Milk Club is out that way.

milk2.jpg

I like that place, and I'm FB friends with a couple of the pretties.  It's kind of a pain in the *ss to get to due to canals and the superhighway, and it can get really crowded after 9 pm.  Still worth a visit once in a while.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think you are misinterpreting thaibeachlovers post. He wasn`t saying that anyone cares if white folk are bored or not.

He is saying that Chiang Mai no longer caters (nightlife wise) for western tourists and western expats. Last week I was in town and everything began winding down at 10.00pm, after that it was like a ghost town. Personally, I don`t give a toss about Chinese tourists, all I know is that for me too, the city, socially, has very little to offer. Over the years a lot of the good stuff has been shut down and left with just a load of poor quality crap, and now they`re even taking the crap away.

I guess it`s true, that the city`s priorities are catering for the Chinese and what`s left for us is pretty dull.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I think you are misinterpreting thaibeachlovers post. He wasn`t saying that anyone cares if white folk are bored or not.

He is saying that Chiang Mai no longer caters (nightlife wise) for western tourists and western expats. Last week I was in town and everything began winding down at 10.00pm, after that it was like a ghost town. Personally, I don`t give a toss about Chinese tourists, all I know is that for me too, the city, socially, has very little to offer. Over the years a lot of the good stuff has been shut down and left with just a load of poor quality crap, and now they`re even taking the crap away.

I guess it`s true, that the city`s priorities are catering for the Chinese and what`s left for us is pretty dull.

It's a base for tours. Expats with money would be better off living in Phuket.

11 hours ago, heybruce said:

You're still here?  People who post repeatedly on topics that are of no interest to them definitely need to get a hobby.

5 hours ago, Justfine said:

I'm on holidays.

And you spend your holiday at a keyboard doing the same stuff you can do at home?

You live here yet have no hobbies ?

Rather expand on my personal life, I'll simply point out that I'm trying to post information and generate discussion of interest to some, while fending off trolls who have no interest or information on the topic I started.

It's a base for tours. Expats with money would be better off living in Phuket.

A tourist telling expats where they should live in Thailand.  Arrogant, aren't you?

Edited by heybruce
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Get a life.

My life has been quite interesting to date, and it's not over.  I don't spend time lecturing people on topics I know nothing about, that frees up time clueless know-it-alls don't have.

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

My life has been quite interesting to date, and it's not over.  I don't spend time lecturing people on topics I know nothing about, that frees up time clueless know-it-alls don't have.

You started a topic complaining how bad CM is getting yet can't handle criticism of the city ?

8 minutes ago, Justfine said:

You started a topic complaining how bad CM is getting yet can't handle criticism of the city ?

Read the title pf the topic and ask yourself what you have contributed to it?

I easily handle informed comments on the current state of Chiang Mai.  You offer ignorant opinions on a topic of no interest to you.  To repeat your earlier comment: Get a life.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, heybruce said:

Read the title pf the topic and ask yourself what you have contributed to it?

I easily handle informed comments on the current state of Chiang Mai.  You offer ignorant opinions on a topic of no interest to you.  To repeat your earlier comment: Get a life.

You're miserable in CM. Move.

17 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Thais, tourists, and expats have different styles of socializing and different expectations of nightlife. Thai people go out with their existing friends to eat and drink and be merry. Seldom do they entertain the notion of meeting new people while out.

Many expats-- let's face facts here-- go out alone hoping to find a social group or make friends. Often "friends" translates to hookers. 

Young tourists can be a mix of the two. Less likely to be searching for prostitutes and more likely to  meet other travelers.

This is one reason older, single male expats feel alienated from the booming CM nightlife, which is geared to eating and drinking in self-contained groups. The problem isn't quality of nightlife per se, but the peculiar social isolation of one small segment. 

You nailed it.

50 minutes ago, Puwa said:

This is one reason older, single male expats feel alienated from the booming CM nightlife, which is geared to eating and drinking in self-contained groups. The problem isn't quality of nightlife per se, but the peculiar social isolation of one small segment. 

Most Thai guys I know, go out in groups hoping to meet hookers girls seeking compensated dating.

Why do you think the staff of Milk Club, Oxide, et al look and are dressed like this?

milk club.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most Thai guys I know, go out in groups hoping to meet hookers girls seeking compensated dating.

Why do you think the staff of Milk Club, Oxide, et al look and are dressed like this?

milk club.jpg

Single desperate guys you mean.