Experience of Buying a Second Hand Bike in Thailand

Kinnock

It does of course depend on the bike that you are looking for, but especially if you are flexible about the exact model you can find some good offers and save quite alot of money, like 2-3 years old, low km and 40% less than new is quite common for the wide spread smaller bikes. In Europe the prices for used bikes would be even lower, but this just has to do with the costs for maintenance which make it cheap to keep an older bike running here. I prefer https://www.kaidee.com

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

Found a New Old Stock  Yamaha Spark 115i   @  Mityon Pattaya 

32,400 baht including registration (1400baht)  3 year or 30,000km warranty  free helmet and jacket,

had 16KM on it from being wheeled in/out the showroom for a few years !!?

some of the repossessed bikes had very high KM's and still loads of finance left to pay...really very poor value.

386842782_P_20180521_121057(Large).jpg.83be812fac90d5d4e9dcaa5d5afc5a0a.jpg

1335490467_P_20180521_121112(Large)(2).jpg.a9294fe72ea358a65368aa578cae4aec.jpg

2017889533_P_20180521_151724(Large).jpg.75eaa9bd4c787a343438632bfcc8e353.jpg

PS  keep a careful eye on the the engine oil  ( check with dipstick)  on all of those scooters that have the engine  hidden under swathes of plastic..they can often develop an oil leak that goes undetected until the engine seizes...engine rebuild can be quite cheap (3000baht) but it will never be the same again..unless you find a mechanic willing to do a proper ( expensive) rebuild replacing all the damaged components

most just get it running again..it will burn more oil..so need to keep checking oil level even more than before.

• Like 1

Repairs are so cheap it doesn't really matter, as long as the 'book' is legit.

I've had everything in the engine replaced at Honda for 6k.

And I've had blown valves (oil goes out exhaust in 60 seconds) rebuild for 2k.

Cheaper than a new tire in the UK.

Might buy a Stallion m/c this year, new price 70k for 250cc.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, johng said:

Found a New Old Stock  Yamaha Spark 115i   @  Mityon Pattaya 

32,400 baht including registration (1400baht)  3 year or 30,000km warranty  free helmet and jacket,

had 16KM on it from being wheeled in/out the showroom for a few years !!?

some of the repossessed bikes had very high KM's and still loads of finance left to pay...really very poor value.

PS  keep a careful eye on the the engine oil  ( check with dipstick)  on all of those scooters that have the engine  hidden under swathes of plastic..they can often develop an oil leak that goes undetected until the engine seizes...engine rebuild can be quite cheap (3000baht) but it will never be the same again..unless you find a mechanic willing to do a proper ( expensive) rebuild replacing all the damaged components

most just get it running again..it will burn more oil..so need to keep checking oil level even more than before.

That was a good find.  16 Km!  And the Spark is a good alternative to a Wave.  Good point about the oil - I checked it in the shop, and they did an oil change before she picked it up.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Repairs are so cheap it doesn't really matter, as long as the 'book' is legit.

I've had everything in the engine replaced at Honda for 6k.

And I've had blown valves (oil goes out exhaust in 60 seconds) rebuild for 2k.

Cheaper than a new tire in the UK.

Might buy a Stallion m/c this year, new price 70k for 250cc.

Yeah - when I was looking for my friend, she was saying that nobody cares about how many Km on the clock in Thailand, as it's cheap to get bikes repaired (especially Waves) - it's just us 'Yeu" foreigners who obsess about mileage.  But I still wanted reasonably low Km's as it should mean less general wear and hopefully fewer issues.

The Fino seems to be the general family transport now - so it's in almost constant use.  Rest of the family has Wave's, Sonic's and small cars - but the Fino is now the preferred tool for 7-11 trips etc.

• Like 2

I like that Spark!  Nice color and a begging basket up front.
They had a red and black one that I liked better, but the red plastic had faded badly in parts due to UV sun exposure..
So we went with the yellow and black "bumble bee" colour scheme...basket was am extra couple of hundred baht and very useful...though not very pretty ! [emoji6]
  • Like 1