Heavy rains may force early extraction of survivors

rooster59

3 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

While I feel sorry that his decision led to a death and endangered scores of other folks, I maintain that his decision was a bad one and he demonstrated negligence.

What makes you sure it was his decision? Sounds much more likely the kids were going to go anyway and he reluctantly tagged along to keep an eye on them. To assume he lured them in there like the pied piper of hamelin is to completely overlook kids natural penchant for mischief and the influences of peer pressure among the boys. 

12 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

What makes you sure it was his decision? Sounds much more likely the kids were going to go anyway and he reluctantly tagged along to keep an eye on them. To assume he lured them in there like the pied piper of hamelin is to completely overlook kids natural penchant for mischief and the influences of peer pressure among the boys. 

I strongly suspect that you are wholly correct in that supposition. And I certainly don't believe he lured them anywhere. I hope my post didn't imply that.

Nonetheless, it was his responsibility to stop them, citing in detail the potential dangers and consequences of rash actions.

Turn it into a teaching moment and perhaps save other lives in the future.

Also, leaders don't 'tag along', they lead.

4 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Every cave is potentially dangerous. People who have no caving experience or guides who do should be wary of taking a troup of kids into one. The sign you mentioned should be sufficient reason for him to back off. There is no reason to believe that "they entered the cave unknowing the dangers ahead."  That's just nonsense.

Is there reason to believe street racing sounds like fun when you've never ridden a motorcycle? There are no signs posting the danger.

While I feel sorry that his decision led to a death and endangered scores of other folks, I maintain that his decision was a bad one and he demonstrated negligence.

He in fact should not sleep well at night. Would you in his place?

All of us make/made bad decisions in our lives and it is cowardly to rationalize them as just bad luck . When a decision you make causes harm to others then you should regret and question it. Otherwise you will learn nothing from it.

You are welcome to have another go at this but don't expect any reply. We've both had our say and won't change our minds.

As you say, we weren't there and ultimately our opinions are irrelevant.

Nonsense post, you fail to answer a very simple question, or at least give an opinion on it, but your choice. You can answer my question, you just won't, I wonder why that is.

BTW. Crossing the road is dangerous.

Whilst your opinion of the coach is (thankfully) in the minority, of course that doesn't make you wrong, but I would question myself very severely as to why more people think different to me.

My final reply to you too.