UK's new Brexit envoy optimistic, as EU warns of Brexit crash

webfact

19 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The  reality is that the EU frequently challenges and fines global corporations for acting against the interests of consumers. 

Then keeps the money for itself. That's really 'consumer friendly'.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I live in central London, I'm only on holiday in Thailand for 6 months.

Don't assume everyone is an expat.

(or doesn't have experience of working farms in the UK)

When did I say you were an expat?

Don't assume everyone is talking about you. 

Your central London farming experience sounds fascinating.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Because you would like to claim ALL Brexit posters are expats that don't have any skin in the game.

Where do you live?

If you live in the UK, why are you posting in a Thailand forum?

If you are an expat, why do you care about Brexit either?

If I would like to claim something, I would claim it. I made no such statement.

This is not an online dating website, I don't answer questions fishing for personal information. 

The consumer who get more choice and don't get ripped off by 'price fixing'.

???

Is it stupidity, cluelessness, head in the sand or complete denial ?

3 days ago

From hairdryers to headphones, millions of products sold online to European consumers had their prices artificially inflated by technology firms.

That's the conclusion of EU antitrust regulators who have slapped technology company Philips with a €29.8m (£25.5m) fine for restricting sales of its products online and raising prices.

The Dutch business was hit with the penalty by the European Commission following a 17-month investigation 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/07/24/eu-fines-philips-255m-driving-prices-products-online/

Part headline

EU warns of Brexit crash

After the stunning French GDP figures released today.

Q1 - 0.2%

Q2 - 0.2%

How long will it take for that headline to read.

ECB warns of EZ crash due to slowing down QE to €30 Billion a month

French growth slower than Brexit ravaged UK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But it is the reality and it is becoming more of the point.

But what do you care, as an Expat Brexiteer you can be brave in the face of other people facing Brexit generated inflation and Brexit generated job uncertainty.

The reality of Brexit, whatever it becomes, can become its own topic in time. Nobody knows what the actual outcome will be. If if didn't care why would I even bother with this forum??? ?? ?

• Like 2

A number of completely off topic posts mostly by someone accusing others of being off topic have been removed.

That has to be one of the most pathetic trolling attempts I have ever seen.

If you are going to quote someone, quote them, don't leave a blank quote with just their name visible.

And then give no argument at all, other than an attempt to inflame. Try that one more time and you get a holiday.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Part headline

After the stunning French GDP figures released today.

Q1 - 0.2%

Q2 - 0.2%

How long will it take for that headline to read.

French growth slower than Brexit ravaged UK.

Technical recession. Sacre bleu!

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I did not mention anti-consumerism. At least the budget boost can help maintain the Brussels wine cellar. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

You're right it is bewildering!

If I lived in the UK I'd definitely be stockpiling. Enough Thai Jasmine rice and tinned fruit and veg to get me through a couple of months (I'm not joking).

War time rationing - does that feed the exit or the remain narrative?

Just like Neil in The Young Ones

Get a bottle of Grouse in !!!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Tell me what stuff can you grow that will be ready for harvest in March and April (presuming you have access to land).

As a life long vegetable gardener I’d be interested to hear.

Parsnips

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Collateral damage.............

I'm in a Newcastle city pub. Nobody here thinks Brexit is a good idea. Mind you, can't get a pint of Newcastle Exhibition; that should tell you something  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If I could vote to dump Scotland and NI, I would.

Both worthless money pits, the EU can have them.

Maybe we could work out a Brexit deal where we give the EU Scotland and NI, instead of money.

And the remainers could all move there.

Works for me; please proceed. I have a place in Edinburgh 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I'm in a Newcastle city pub. Nobody here thinks Brexit is a good idea. Mind you, can't get a pint of Newcastle Exhibition; that should tell you something  

Haha, yes, drinking alone is bad for you. ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, nauseus said:

Haha, yes, drinking alone is bad for you. ?

I actually walked around with my pint of Johns and had a chat with the Geordies. To a man they are concerned with manufacturing jobs going..

Just reporting, like..

In Edinburgh tonight. I'll ask here also. Going from Uni to uni with eldest daughter is a great pub crawl for me! Bristol on Tuesday.

13 minutes ago, tebee said:

I hate to have to tell you this ( OK I don't really)

Love this comment, so right back at ya ??

Markets jitter as founder of Italian ruling party urges euro referendum

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eurozone-italy-euro/markets-jitter-as-founder-of-italian-ruling-party-urges-euro-referendum-idUSKBN1KH1V2

One more time just for you. The € is going to destroy the EU as it is currently known.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Keep dreaming.

Not one for posting cartoon's, but this one from the Times is bang on the money.

905603144_methode2Ftimes2Fprod2Fweb2Fbin2Fedf3bb20-91d0-11e8-a10e-53179592953e.png.d4676ca596ab5c472abedae76851a6b8.png

For all the posturing and declarations from the EU, this cartoon sums up the EU in the event of a hard Brexit.

Did you see France's fantastic ?? GDP result yesterday ?

One of my first comments on these Brexit threads was '' Watch the EZ go backwards as soon as Draghi turns off the printing presses ''

Actually, I did see your posting about France and it just shows how limited your understanding of both the EU and economics is. First off, because the EU isn't all-powerful the way you and so many fellow Brexiteers claim, it can't guarantee a member nation's success. The conditions are there if the member nations wish to take advantage of them but they can still make poor choices. That said, I doubt that very many French citizens, except for the wealthy would exchange the model of the French economy for the model of the UK's. Despite the fact that France is a member of the Eurozone with all the obstacles that imposes on a government's ability to respond to economic conditions for the big majority of French citizens, the level of economic equality is far superior to the UK's and living conditions are much better there than in the UK. The French are much closer than the British in coming up with the ideal answer to what should be a guiding principle in economic policy: What's an economy for? Is it just to rack up GDP points or is it to make life better for people? 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Love this comment, so right back at ya ??

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eurozone-italy-euro/markets-jitter-as-founder-of-italian-ruling-party-urges-euro-referendum-idUSKBN1KH1V2

One more time just for you. The € is going to destroy the EU as it is currently known.

Once again a demonstration of ignorance  on your part.. The EU is not the Eurozone. And, in fact, if the Italians actually manage to vote for this, ultimately that would be a great thing for the EU. So maybe your vocabularly is so limited that you think "destroy" is a synonym for "change" or "improve." But we native English speakers know better.

And unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Italians would vote for that. The big majority of Italians are as misguided in their support of the Euro as the small majority of those in favor of Brexit were.

Polls show most Italians want to stay in euro

Two polls show that between 60-72 percent of Italians want the country to remain part of the euro while 23-24 percent would choose to drop the common currency.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-italy-euro-poll/polls-show-most-italians-want-to-stay-in-euro-idUSKCN1IW0MT

For Italy's sake, and for the sake of the EU, I hope that changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tebee said:

I hate to have to tell you this ( OK I don't really)

This comes back to bite you yet again ??

I will refer both you, and our daily readers, back to the demonisation of a certain David Davis, the previous incumbent, and the man that you all, and you in particular, said sat on his @rse and had no plan ??

secret Brexit plan has been drawn up by Cabinet ministers amid concerns that Theresa May's Chequers compromise will be killed off by Brussels.

Nothing secret about it. It was the very plan that a certain David Davis wanted in the first place.

The plan, which was originally commissioned by David Davis

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/27/reserve-parachute-secret-brexit-plan-drawn-ministers-case-chequers/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

Anyway, the EU have already killed May's Chequers White Bog Roll.

Taxi for May. Will she last long enough to attend the Tory Party Conference ??

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nauseus said:

Better than what we have now is finally being free of the EU. That's what the referendum was all about. Remember?

The UK will never be free of the EU. Whatever the outcome looks like the UK will be making deals with the EU.