plastic wrap luggage for Intl flights?

chubby

Hello,  I am wondering if anyone has ever  wrapped their luggage  from the USA- > Thailand flights  or vice versa

I know one is told if they lock their luggage and check it, customs may break the locks ; and have found notices of my luggage being opened a number of times

I'm probably have to wrap it myself  -> Thailand , as I think only in Thailand does one see those  services  to wrap for 150THB or so 

I'm going to guess if I showed up to a US airport with wrapped luggage they'd make me take it off, when I went to check the bags etc

17 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'd almost guarantee that if you tried to check a bag at a US airport that was wrapped, that DHS rules would force you to remove the wrapping before you could check it in.

Now, in the other direction, dunno about that. I see that fancy shrink wrap station as you enter Survanaphumi
Whether or not if you try to check bags to a US destination there are rules, similar to the periodic 'enhanced' checks they do before you board, thats difficult to know.

Basically don't do it. I would think. If you're worried about the bag bursting and showering your undies over the baggage claim, probably just better to buy one of those baggage straps

The plastic wrap would not deter officials from checking your bag. But they would notify you. It does however, deter thieves. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, malt25 said:

I'm not so worried about thieves taking stuff from my luggage. I'm more concerned what might be put in my luggage without my knowledge. Plastic wrap makes luggage that bit extra tamper proof.

Buy a roll of cling film and wrap the luggage yourself. You might get some stares when you do it at the airport but will save you a bunch of money!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Buy a roll of cling film and wrap the luggage yourself. You might get some stares when you do it at the airport but will save you a bunch of money!

I've often done that. But why would you do it at the airport & not at home ?

• Like 2

There are a few definite pluses...  in no specific order...

incliment weather — occasionally bags we wet when there is rain at the origin, destination or even transit points .  This tends to be more problematic when you fly smaller aircraft like the 737 where bags are “loose” loaded and not containerized.   So wrapping can help prevent or minimize weather damage 

bursting..: this tends to be more of an issue with boxes and other pieces that just don’t have the same “bursting” tension that a more traditional hard side or even soft sided bag might.  So you’d probably get some benefit to wrapping a box.

Theft ... IMHO, no bag is ever going to be 100% theft proof ... so, for me, the name of the game is “minimization” and to that end, I think wrapping helps make your bag less desirable than perhaps another not-wrapped bag might be.. again,  not guarantees, but I think it can help.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2018 at 8:39 AM, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

USA International flight.
Airline won’t care how you check it.
If TSA wants to open the bag they will cut through the plastic, braeak you locks, and leave a stupid note.

That's right! And they don't even try to repack it to where it will close. I used the straps (2 of them), one unlocked so they could re-snap it, but they screwed up, shifted the combination and could reclose the bag. I saw in Bangkok, last one out, with clear plastic tape run around it and a 3/4" gap.

PS: I'd had no problem closing it at home, but they just dumped my clothes into a pile and pulled the other side on top. They'll get in if they want to. 

1 hour ago, Small Joke said:

Look at it this way. Professional flyers (Aircrew) don't wrap their luggage anywhere on the planet. Even in holes like Lagos, Rio, and Manila. 

Why then,  should You? 

Because they don’t check bags when they’re working. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jippytum said:

I don't understand it. The wrapping stations are pre security .How can security check the contents of your suitcase before check in if its wrapped ?

How often do you travel international ? I always either have my checked luggage plastic wrapped or secured with several wraps of duct tape. Plus small pad locks. In over 60 flights I have never once had my bag opened by security. This is 2018. Scanning will show all they need to know. If something suspicious they will pull you aside so you are present if your bag needs internal inspection.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

Because they don’t check bags when they’re working. 

Yes they do? there luggage is usually first off, see them picking up many times.

1 hour ago, Small Joke said:

Look at it this way. Professional flyers (Aircrew) don't wrap their luggage anywhere on the planet. Even in holes like Lagos, Rio, and Manila. 

Why then,  should You? 

Air crew bags are usually, often X-rayed & in most instances their bags are carry on so limited chance of being tampered with.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

That's right! And they don't even try to repack it to where it will close. I used the straps (2 of them), one unlocked so they could re-snap it, but they screwed up, shifted the combination and could reclose the bag. I saw in Bangkok, last one out, with clear plastic tape run around it and a 3/4" gap.

PS: I'd had no problem closing it at home, but they just dumped my clothes into a pile and pulled the other side on top. They'll get in if they want to. 

A friend provided the combination and TSA broke his locks anyway.

No excuse but utter incompetence or  spite. Goons in blue smurf uniforms.

The plastic is a good idea. Harder for smuggling rings to slip drugs in. Protection from spills in the hold (it happens). Also when cold soaked for hours when bags hit a humid environment at the destination the always get kind of soggy outside.

On 7/27/2018 at 7:12 AM, AlexRRR said:

Im pretty sure I have seen the plastic luggage wrapper in the New Airport, around centre close to the main entry door.

Available at many airports in many countries. 

I use it for several reasons.

1/ Protects your luggage - period. I've lost count of the times airport baggage handling staff would have damaged my luggage beyond repair, but for that extra layer.

2/ Smugglers won't try to insert illicit stuff into wrapped baggage. Easier targets around.

3/ Officials tend to let wrapped stuff slide, unless you give them cause.

• Like 2

Regarding smugglers and illicit stuff: what am I missing here?  Why would someone want to slip something into my baggage?  For whose benefit?  How would the intended recipient at the other end of the flight know to tap me on the shoulder and ask for the goods that were intended for him?  All of this is with the condition that the authorities did not discover it along the way.

Obviously, I'm not a very good detective in sleuthing this kind of thing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MrBrad said:

Regarding smugglers and illicit stuff: what am I missing here?  Why would someone want to slip something into my baggage?  For whose benefit?  How would the intended recipient at the other end of the flight know to tap me on the shoulder and ask for the goods that were intended for him?  All of this is with the condition that the authorities did not discover it along the way.

Obviously, I'm not a very good detective in sleuthing this kind of thing.

"Obviously, I'm not a very good detective in sleuthing this kind of thing."  If nothing else, you got that right.

11 hours ago, Small Joke said:

Why then,  should You? 

Aircrew generally don't check their luggage.  Most of the time they take them on board as carry on.  That's why all the  nooks and crannies are filled with black roller boards.