Pattaya beach "back to being a major tourist attraction": So where are all the tourists!?

webfact

Probably shouldn't bother mentioning that it is "Low Season" right now so one wouldn't expect a lot of tourists anywhere right now (in the bars or on the beaches) but maybe "low season" doesn't take into account the "zero dollar" Chinese tourists ? 

4 hours ago, smedly said:

so they build beach road on the beach and half of walking street then they pat themselves on the back because they had to make a beach where there was none before - yes well done, see how long it lasts lol - nature will wash it all away again

The next big storm will reveal the fascade that is Pat-trash-aya.

Looks like the photos were taken on a section of the beach that has been closed for beach replenishment for at least 2 or 3 years.  Now, another section is closed for the same work between this replenished section and the rest of the beach.  So, some beach goers probably don't even know the first section is now open and some beach goers probably don't want to walk around the closed section to this now open section.   No beach chairs on offer in the photos also might be a factor.  The beach always seems to be plenty busy down around Hard Rock to the Central Festival area and beyond when we drive by it on Beach Road.  Lots of beach goers like to socialize on beach chairs where the activity is.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's obviously a misprint. It should have said "trumps" - a reference to a group of troublesome senior citizens illegally playing bridge.

I would have to agree.  and one must consider that in a year those same sandbags will be slimy and scaly with algea if algae can even live there with the water so polluted.  

5 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

I would have to agree.  and one must consider that in a year those same sandbags will be slimy and scaly with algea if algae can even live there with the water so polluted.  

I'm sure he can, he's always been pally with Biggles - well he was in the book I read: Biggles Flies Undone.

• Haha 1

RE - Pattaya beach "back to being a major tourist attraction": So where are all the tourists!?

Where they always are when they visit Pattaya - walking street, girly bars and other soi atractions Pattaya is famous for. The typical beach tourists goes elsewhere….

It doesnt help much to clean and extend the beach when the water sucks...

https://www.numbeo.com/pollution/in/Pattaya

Edited by ttrd

Well it is low season - the weather is pretty miserable .

I have no idea why the members of Thai Visa are so obsessed about the numbers of tourists in Pattaya ( actually I think they have emigrated to Chang Mai and rather miss the sea ) Not that anyone in their right mind would swim in it - but it’s quite pleasant - and sunsets over the islands are nice . 

Why is anybody bothered about the number of tourists? 

1 minute ago, peterb17 said:

Well it is low season - the weather is pretty miserable .

I have no idea why the members of Thai Visa are so obsessed about the numbers of tourists in Pattaya ( actually I think they have emigrated to Chang Mai and rather miss the sea ) Not that anyone in their right mind would swim in it - but it’s quite pleasant - and sunsets over the islands are nice . 

Why is anybody bothered about the number of tourists

Just wash your mouth out! You'll be off the TAT Christmas card list saying things like that!

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

There appeared to be one foreigner sunbathing and just a few other visitors walking about on the largely deserted sands.

For every foreigner who comes to Pattaya to get 'dam-dam' on the beach, there are 19 who come solely to shop in the world-class boutiques and another eighty who just travel there to visit the temples... ?

Edited by StayinThailand2much

9 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

For every foreigner who comes to Pattaya to get 'dam-dam' on the beach, there are 19 who come solely to shop in the world-class boutiques and another eighty who just travel there to visit the temples... ?

You didn't mention the other 99% in the sex parlors 

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well that has never been a problem before, has it? We have all seen many, many stories here that blatantly flew in the face of the evidence. This report has it right though. Until something is done about the nasty brown bits in the water, no one in their right mind is going to go swimming there, new clean sand or not. I think we can safely say that was 400 Million Baht utterly wasted. Wonder what the next stupid idea will be?

400 million baht spent on sand...

Who the heck is hiding behind the alias Mr. Sandman now?

Edited by Lupatria
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Probably shouldn't bother mentioning that it is "Low Season" right now so one wouldn't expect a lot of tourists anywhere right now (in the bars or on the beaches) but maybe "low season" doesn't take into account the "zero dollar" Chinese tourists ? 

Why do the airliners charge high season prices from Europe if it is low season?

July - August has always been high season for flights to Thailand from Europe.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well that has never been a problem before, has it? We have all seen many, many stories here that blatantly flew in the face of the evidence. This report has it right though. Until something is done about the nasty brown bits in the water, no one in their right mind is going to go swimming there, new clean sand or not. I think we can safely say that was 400 Million Baht utterly wasted. Wonder what the next stupid idea will be?

I dont know what the next stupid idea will be, but for sure it wont be long in surfacing. After all, TIT

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I do wonder if the average Asian or Western tourist actually realizes that the water is likely to be c**p, literally.

Sure, we who live here see all the news reports regularly with raw sewage and other gunk flowing straight into the ocean. But dunno if that kind of news reaches the consciousness of the two week wonders or not?

• Like 1