Salary Expectations?

gc777

Hello All,

I'm in the process of applying for a job in Bangkok, I've never worked there before, and have been asked for my salary expectations. The position is 'Junior Project Manager' for a research institution. I am hoping someone might have a rough idea as to what would be reasonable, I am thinking 40,000 to 50,000 THB? 

It's been a few years since I have visited Thailand so if someone could advise if a salary in this range would provide a decent lifestyle? I'd like to be able to afford a decent 1 - 2 bed apartment close to a BTS or MRT station with a pool.

Thanks very much. 

If you are a foreigner then you need at least 55k monthly salary to get a work permit.

I have no idea how much anybody should earn in such a position but here is some general advice:

If you want to live here legally then your first priority should be to work for a proper company which takes care of your work permit, visa, etc.

That should be done right away and not a "deal" like: You start and then we do this sometime later. I heard often enough that later never happens.

Yes, you can live on 55k a month. If that is a decent lifestyle is a question of your own interpretation.

For lots of Thais it would be a good salary and lots of farangs would call it a bad salary.

According to a couple of people the difference between salaries for Thais and for foreigners is not so high anymore. 20 years ago foreigners would often earn multiple times of a Thai salary in a similar position. It seems that is not the case anymore. Foreigners will still often earn more, but maybe only 20% or 30% more (at least that is what I heard from a few people).

• Like 2

Thanks very much for the advice, appreciated.

It is a proper global company but there was something on their person specification regarding work permits that confused me. 

They stipulate 'holder of a valid work permit is a must'. As I understand it, if I did hold a work permit in another position and subsequently left to take up this position my exiting work permit would become invalid and it would be necessary to apply for a new permit for the new position. So what they're expecting is impossible? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gc777 said:

It is a proper global company but there was something on their person specification regarding work permits that confused me. 

They stipulate 'holder of a valid work permit is a must'. As I understand it, if I did hold a work permit in another position and subsequently left to take up this position my exiting work permit would become invalid and it would be necessary to apply for a new permit for the new position. So what they're expecting is impossible? 

International companies who employ local freelancers or employees through a local representative office often lack the setup or willingness to sponsor a work permit, hence the need for a local or a foreigner who is already allowed to work in the country. In most countries this is not an issue as a workpermit is not necessarily connected to a job. But in a thailand it is. So if the vacancy states that one needs to have a work permit to apply as a foreigner, you can forget about it in Thailand. Only exception is if you setup your own company and sponsor your own work permit through it, and invoice your services. But for that to make financially sense the monthly income should be a lot higher.

A " Proper" global company or a "research-institution" will take care of the work-permit. If not, they are not a "proper" research-institution.
- Private or Government "research-institution"? If government research-institution, do you write and speak Thai?
- You can not afford a 2 bedroom + pool appartement within a reasonable distance to BTS/MRT.
Unfortunately, OP has not given any details concerning the "research-institution".

CAUTION: "Research-Institutions" oftentimes are nothing more but some Boiler-Room Operations, trying to sell irresistable Real-Estate-Deals or phony Health Care plans to foreighners by telefone.
Smells like it to me!
---------------
These days, a young foreighner (with qualifications) can still earn a high salary in countries like Taiwan, South Korea, Vietnam.

But then, as Thailand's spare-time fruits are hanging lower than in above mentioned coutries, no wonder that eager younger foreighners prefer Thailand above all the other countries. Hoping to start a career, while being surrounded by "low hanging fruits" simultainiously. All this creating an oversupply of young "western" male talent, (that Thailand doesn't really need anymore), having the effect that wages for "western" talent have been stagnant for years in Thailand.
Still, good luck & cheers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you are a foreigner then you need at least 55k monthly salary to get a work permit.

I have no idea how much anybody should earn in such a position but here is some general advice:

If you want to live here legally then your first priority should be to work for a proper company which takes care of your work permit, visa, etc.

That should be done right away and not a "deal" like: You start and then we do this sometime later. I heard often enough that later never happens.

Yes, you can live on 55k a month. If that is a decent lifestyle is a question of your own interpretation.

For lots of Thais it would be a good salary and lots of farangs would call it a bad salary.

According to a couple of people the difference between salaries for Thais and for foreigners is not so high anymore. 20 years ago foreigners would often earn multiple times of a Thai salary in a similar position. It seems that is not the case anymore. Foreigners will still often earn more, but maybe only 20% or 30% more (at least that is what I heard from a few people).

55k is far more than ok living, this is one. Two, any company will have a quick fix on your documents while applying for visa/wp. They have to pay you certain amount that is required they'll make up docs but they will agree with you to pay different amount. Condos are small and lame here af, so paying more than 20-25k is ridiculous. You may have a couple of extra sqms and fancier ikea stuff but in the end same small as condo.

2 minutes ago, prettyawsm said:

55k is far more than ok living, this is one. Two, any company will have a quick fix on your documents while applying for visa/wp. They have to pay you certain amount that is required they'll make up docs but they will agree with you to pay different amount.

Do you really want to rely on a company which is not even willing to pay the legal minimum? Only very desperate people should do that and then they shouldn't be surprised if things go wrong.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, there's no demand for salary to obtain a Work Permit, but to apply for extension of stay based on Work Permit, Immigration will require proof of salary (and tax paid) of a certain size, depending of nationality of the applicant, typically in the level 25,000 baht to 60,000 baht; more information here in Foreign Business work permit in Thailand, scroll down to section "Minimum income requirement for foreigners working in Thailand"...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

No, there's no demand for salary to obtain a Work Permit, but to apply for extension of stay based on Work Permit, Immigration will require proof of salary (and tax paid) of a certain size, depending of nationality of the applicant, typically in the level 25,000 baht to 60,000 baht; more information here in Foreign Business work permit in Thailand, scroll down to section "Minimum income requirement for foreigners working in Thailand"...?

You might be right, I don't know the details of the laws.

But I spoke with a couple of Europeans in Bangkok who work in different companies in different jobs and the 55k seems to be the standard.

And as we all know at the end of the day the question is not what the law is but what the officials think is what they want. Maybe it's possible to fight that system but I don't think there is much chance of success...

15 hours ago, swissie said:

A " Proper" global company or a "research-institution" will take care of the work-permit. If not, they are not a "proper" research-institution.
- Private or Government "research-institution"? If government research-institution, do you write and speak Thai?
- You can not afford a 2 bedroom + pool appartement within a reasonable distance to BTS/MRT.
Unfortunately, OP has not given any details concerning the "research-institution".

CAUTION: "Research-Institutions" oftentimes are nothing more but some Boiler-Room Operations, trying to sell irresistable Real-Estate-Deals or phony Health Care plans to foreighners by telefone.
Smells like it to me!
---------------
These days, a young foreighner (with qualifications) can still earn a high salary in countries like Taiwan, South Korea, Vietnam.

But then, as Thailand's spare-time fruits are hanging lower than in above mentioned coutries, no wonder that eager younger foreighners prefer Thailand above all the other countries. Hoping to start a career, while being surrounded by "low hanging fruits" simultainiously. All this creating an oversupply of young "western" male talent, (that Thailand doesn't really need anymore), having the effect that wages for "western" talent have been stagnant for years in Thailand.
Still, good luck & cheers.

Some of the so called "International Schools" are now hiring for even less then 10 years ago.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:57 PM, gc777 said:

Keep in mind that 'holder of a valid work permit is a must' might be poorly worded / very poorly worded.

57 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Funny thing is if you move to the burbs Rangsit you can easily live on 20K

and if the workplace is in Sukhumvit area, you will drive a car every day for 2 hours.

It depends where his working-place is, if he can work remotely and so on. I think this is a very important fact.

Cheap accommodation is not worth, when you have to long travel-way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, prettyawsm said:

any company will have a quick fix on your documents while applying for visa/wp. They have to pay you certain amount that is required they'll make up docs but they will agree with you to pay different amount. 

A proper company with a proper job won't do that at all, if you don't have the paperwork / experience, they don't want you.

• Like 1

and if the workplace is in Sukhumvit area, you will drive a car every day for 2 hours.
It depends where his working-place is, if he can work remotely and so on. I think this is a very important fact.

Cheap accommodation is not worth, when you have to long travel-way.

At 40k/month not likely the’ll be driving a car at all...
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, andy said:

Couldn't agree more.  I wouldn't consider working in Thailand again for less than 100k/month NET (which would probably be 120k before tax).  Too much BS to put up with for less than that.  Yes, you can live on much less if you are in retirement or semi-retirement mode, but if I'm working there full on then I want to enjoy my time off work - and that isn't going to happen in BKK on 50k/month.

I agree with you to fully enjoy life you should have at least 100k/month.

But I am sure lots of people who make less have the choice of making "little money" here or little money wherever they come from.

Here they have the warm weather, the beaches and the mostly friendly people included.

I am pretty sure I would prefer Thailand even with a low salary just for the weather...