UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

4 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

I guess it depends on the meaning of "serious". Some of these computer systems are already in operation (these need a capacity upgrade), some have been in development since prior to the referendum. Our non EU trade requires customs systems, and naturally these are already in place and operational.

I think it was Raab who made the statement, but politicans have been known to say things for effect! The National Audit Office has been reviewing the systems readiness for a while - it's part of their Audit remit of course; last June they reported that the core Customs Declaration Service (CDS) would be ready by March 2019.

I don't believe May has been planning not to leave (I have no evidence for this, other than her "statements"), and her actions show clearly that she is pursuing something, but nobody seems to know what: some bizarre combination of leaving and staying it seems.

Does a poker player show the bystanders their hand...????

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

image.png.5bc4b6b0bd088befb07285d21fe48180.png

Yeh, at least he's good for a laugh...if nothing else. ????

Talking about laughing, can’t complain about not having enough of a good laugh every day since two years or so when reading the latest Brexit news ???? 

SMMT now reported domestic car sales in September went down 19%, exports 16%. Good news every day since your stroke of genius. 

38 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Talking about laughing, can’t complain about not having enough of a good laugh every day since two years or so when reading the latest Brexit news ???? 

SMMT now reported domestic car sales in September went down 19%, exports 16%. Good news every day since your stroke of genius. 

Car sales down 20% because of DieselGate(VW) and loss of sales in China

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

This has been made even more clear if MTL is correct in saying that May or Raab have said that 'serious planning will start in November'.....

Dick, I should have said implementation rather than planning; ie to put into place plans that have already been made. This is a quote from the article

"Theresa May has set a date for Whitehall to trigger a series of no-deal Brexit preparations as her government faces up to the possibility that there will be no agreement with the EU about Britain’s departure."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/24/may-sets-november-date-to-trigger-no-deal-brexit-preparations

• Like 1

"Michael Gove has unveiled legislation giving Scottish ministers "significant" new powers over the fishing industry after Brexit.

The Environment Secretary said the Fisheries Bill will enable the UK to control who fishes in its waters and create a "sustainable, profitable" industry.

He said leaving the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) will give the UK Government and devolved administrations the power to manage fisheries more effectively and sustainably.

Fishing leaders said the Bill was necessary to set up frameworks outside the "universally detested" CFP and urged Scottish and UK ministers to work together in "harmony" to achieve this."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/10/25/michael-gove-unveils-brexit-fisheries-bill-giving-scottish-ministers/

Edited by My Thai Life
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

---------------------

'your stroke of genius' - oh my, judging from the above it would seem your sanity is unraveling in front of the whole of the TVF community. ????

I find my English quite ok for not being a native speaker. And definitely less funny than Brexit ???? 

46 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Car sales down 20% because of DieselGate(VW) and loss of sales in China

...and Brexit, says the SMMT. 

5 hours ago, transam said:

YOU have set/planned your future life up in another EU country and well before Brexit.  Yet you keep going on and on about those here who are for Brexit, but it was great you posted your Danish stuff....

Actually, I had planned to retire to Edinburgh.

However, the whole Brexit debate has horrified me. Awful.

So I intend to have a variable existence between Denmark, Thailand, Macao where my son lives, Aragon where my sister lives and Edinburgh where my roots are 

You can guess the itinerary by the seasons!

You still got a V8?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Well as usual you haven't adressed the question. I guess you are just trying to make your 10,001st "crap" (your words) post.

If Armalites are so desirable north of the "border" there would surely be a smuggling operation already.

You really don't get it do you

For the last 20 years there has been peace and tranquility. Brexit is going to screw that up.

The armalite comment was a quip, a bon mot, which took a ballistic trajectory right over your head!

Those sort of comments confirm you as a brexiter what ever your opinions on Brexit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Yes but Mostly Dieselgate and China have caused the largest drop of sales all over Europe including the UK

If when UK vehicles are subject to import duty in the EU, then there will be no point for Honda, Nissan and Toyota to remain in UK.

ALL Other major car manufacturers have indicated they will have to follow suite.......... even Dyson is building his new car in Singapore.

To maintain parts flow into the UK, they will have to allow car parts in duty free or the price of home sales will rocket.

BMW, (Mini is on a 3 day week till Christmas) Mercedes, Land rover, Nissan have all shelved UK projects because of Brexit. Ford have warned of dire consequences and GM are pulling out.....So where is the good news?

This will be mirrored in all aspects of UK commerce, finance, food, science,drugs will all shrink as a result of Brexit.

The only expanding industries will be fascism and thuggery

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You really don't get it do you

For the last 20 years there has been peace and tranquility. Brexit is going to screw that up.

The armalite comment was a quip, a bon mot, which took a ballistic trajectory right over your head!

Those sort of comments confirm you as a brexiter what ever your opinions on Brexit!

No point in hyperbole or metaphor on a BrexIteer, all figures of speach go over their heads.....(You can almost hear the patter of tiny BrexIteer feet to Google!)

Edited by kwilco
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Grouse said:

So I intend to have a variable existence between Denmark, Thailand, Macao where my son lives, Aragon where my sister lives and Edinburgh where my roots are 

You still got a V8?

image.png.b8f8b33ef7aec6ee08b8d906d9859282.png

no grouse

no gammel dansk

no belhaven

no red aalborg

in aragona

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, kwilco said:

If when UK vehicles are subject to import duty in the EU, then there will be no point for Honda, Nissan and Toyota to remain in UK.

ALL Other major car manufacturers have indicated they will have to follow suite.......... even Dyson is building his new car in Singapore.

To maintain parts flow into the UK, they will have to allow car parts in duty free or the price of home sales will rocket.

BMW, (Mini is on a 3 day week till Christmas) Mercedes, Land rover, Nissan have all shelved UK projects because of Brexit. Ford have warned of dire consequences and GM are pulling out.....So where is the good news?

This will be mirrored in all aspects of UK commerce, finance, food, science,drugs will all shrink as a result of Brexit.

You should do well then.

Edited by nauseus
double quote
  • Haha 1

It really is beyond belief that so many people have become so collectively dimwitted that they have no idea how the UK will be strangled by Brexit.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-hauliers/with-brexit-talks-in-gridlock-british-truckers-plan-for-the-worst-idUKKCN1MZ0KZ?fbclid=IwAR02zds7BcgFUE17joq1MV56D7T1XfoumO9IoH7toDt61J0jksUxOLYspXk

22 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Suggest you do a search on this topic for mini you will find the mini factory is not on a 3 day week until xmas its a jaguar landrover plant and that is due to lack of demand for diesel engine cars and drop off of orders from China

As for Ford do you know how many vehicles Ford builds in the UK  its ZERO

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You still got a V8?

Don't give up on an independent Scotland - it is closer than ever. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Stupooey said:

How about Ford engines? Soon to be ZERO. Unless....

Ford engines are built here but no cars since 2002 import duties are a 2 way thing if EU slaps 10% import duty on the UK the UK will slap a 10% import duty of the EU 

the EU countries represent 82% of the UK’s motor vehicle import volume, worth €38 billion. 

The Green Party will be happy

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Ford engines are built here but no cars since 2002 import duties are a 2 way thing if EU slaps 10% import duty on the UK the UK will slap a 10% import duty of the EU 

the EU countries represent 82% of the UK’s motor vehicle import volume, worth €38 billion. 

The Green Party will be happy

According to WTO rules, if the UK slaps a 10% tariff on autos manufactured in the EU, then it's obliged to do the same for all autos except those from nations or trade blocs with which it has a trade agreement or treaty.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

According to WTO rules, if the UK slaps a 10% tariff on autos manufactured in the EU, then it's obliged to do the same for all autos except those from nations or trade blocs with which it has a trade agreement or treaty.

Indeed, this is governed by the so-called Most Favoured Nation clause regarding trade between WTO Members.

Edited by damascase
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Interesting that some EU autotomotive  manufacturers with no  current British operations may to forced to move some if their production plants to  the UK to avoid tariffs

The best solution is no tariffs on both sides but no hidden requirements UK exports car to the EU and the EU exports cars to the UK 

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Interesting that some EU autotomotive  manufacturers with no  current British operations may to forced to move some if their production plants to  the UK to avoid tariffs

The best solution is no tariffs on both sides but no hidden requirements UK exports car to the EU and the EU exports cars to the UK 

The problem is that it's not that sample. Integrated supply lines means that parts are made all over the EU. I doubt it would make economic sense for all or most of an automobile to be made from scratch in the UK and sold only or primarily in the UK.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

The good news depends on one's viewpoint. Finland just got a deal for one lithium battery factories. We also have history of car manufacturing. 

I think the good news is that as EU members, we can save a lot of car manufacturing within the EU borders and don't let it all slide away to Asia.

Good news for UK? Well, sorry for you folks.