UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

"[T]his is a con on the British people... It cannot be what you wanted, nor did the referendum provide any mandate for it." Strong stuff from a man who, a week ago, was a Cabinet Minister.

https://www.ft.com/content/92974b74-e8d9-11e8-885c-e64da4c0f981

The gulf between the deal and the promises made two years ago is unbridgeable.

Even if we do at some point nail down a customs arrangement for trade in goods, we’re fundamentally a service economy and we’ll see companies in finance, in IT, in communications and in digital technology suffer a loss of access to their biggest market.

...   : there is no evidence that the sunny uplands Brexit that has failed to materialise while we are still members can be magically agreed once the UK loses its leverage as a full member of the EU.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Having the market of 70 million is nothing to sneeze at, particularly in a relatively affluent population.

Anyone that thinks big-business is going to throw a market that size away out of spite is not thinking clearly.

I worked for a Fortune 50 company that put a plant in Thailand just to serve the domestic market, a much smaller market than the UK.

Most of the large foreign investment used the UK as a gateway to Europe. The UK's largest single export is cars, $41.9 billion in 2017 , and the country of origin will now be questionable.

Now that gate is closing they will be looking closely at future costs and regulatory alignment. Every chance that moving goods from the UK into Europe will be become more expensive than as a member state.

When the next Airbus project hits the drawing board the UK should not be looking for a cut of the action. There is already a logistics problem and Airbus will be under no obligation to continue a problematic arrangement. Leaving the UK would be petty cash in the overall scheme of things.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Most of the large foreign investment used the UK as a gateway to Europe. The UK's largest single export is cars, $41.9 billion in 2017 , and the country of origin will now be questionable.

Now that gate is closing they will be looking closely at future costs and regulatory alignment. Every chance that moving goods from the UK into Europe will be become more expensive than as a member state.

When the next Airbus project hits the drawing board the UK should not be looking for a cut of the action. There is already a logistics problem and Airbus will be under no obligation to continue a problematic arrangement. Leaving the UK would be petty cash in the overall scheme of things.

Incorrect  Mechanical machinery was the most valuable commodity with exports being worth 48.5 billion British pounds. Cars and electrical machinery came in second, at 32.7 billion

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281807/largest-export-commodities-of-the-united-kingdom-uk/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tebee said:

What do we do now then ?

DsIS-d5X4AELXuN.jpg

Just 8% of Brits support the idea of having a second referendum, according to the latest poll by YouGov. Added to the people who want to stop Brexit by other means, only 36% of voters would like to see the result of the referendum reversed. By contrast adding together the different Brexit options sees 46% of voters in favour of EU withdrawal. Nothing has changed…

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Incorrect  Mechanical machinery was the most valuable commodity with exports being worth 48.5 billion British pounds. Cars and electrical machinery came in second, at 32.7 billion

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281807/largest-export-commodities-of-the-united-kingdom-uk/

You are looking at the top 10 categories, and they have it wrong, second should be vehicles.

Cars heads the top 200.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are looking at the top 10 categories, and they have it wrong, second should be vehicles.

Cars heads the top 200.

The issue is remainers don't provide links to support their claims you posted"The UK's largest single export is cars, $41.9 billion in 2017 , and the country of origin will now be questionable."

Clearly this is incorrect as these stats show

This statistic shows the 30 largest export commodities of the United Kingdom (UK) in 2017. This ranges from machinery and pharmaceutical products to paper, textile and crude materials. Mechanical machinery was the most valuable commodity with exports being worth 48.5 billion British pounds. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

The issue is remainers don't provide links to support their claims you posted"The UK's largest single export is cars, $41.9 billion in 2017 , and the country of origin will now be questionable."

Clearly this is incorrect as these stats show

This statistic shows the 30 largest export commodities of the United Kingdom (UK) in 2017. This ranges from machinery and pharmaceutical products to paper, textile and crude materials. Mechanical machinery was the most valuable commodity with exports being worth 48.5 billion British pounds. 

The following searchable table displays 200 of the most in-demand goods shipped from the United Kingdom during 2017. Shown beside each product label is its total export value then the percentage increase or decrease since 2016.

Show 102550100 entries
Search:
Rank UK Export Product 2017 Value (US$) Change
1 Cars $41.9 billion +2.7%
2 Turbo-jets $25.2 billion +29.9%
3 Medication mixes in dosage $20.4 billion -6.1%
4 Crude oil $19 billion +44.1%
5 Gold (unwrought) $17 billion +9.3%
6 Aircraft parts $16.1 billion +7.6%
7 Processed petroleum oils $11.3 billion +23.7%
8 Blood fractions (including antisera) $9.7 billion +11.5%
9 Alcohol (including spirits, liqueurs) $7.3 billion +3.5%
10 Automobile parts/accessories $6.6 billion +4.7%
Showing 1 to 10 of 200 entries

Happy, and as for origin, cars exported from the UK are classed as made in the EU, no doubt you will dispute that, and then try and claim that post brexit they will be made in the UK, ignoring the composition ruling.

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I voted in that poll, guess which option.

I've never yet been asked to participate in a poll - apart from tories outside an election station after voting.

I declined to answer their question as to how I had voted.

Edit - I assume that I don't 'fit in' with any pollsters preferred 'targets'.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is no constructive argument for leaving the EU. If there was, why is Theresa May so wound up about the future trading relationship with an entity that is about to implode.

There can be no better deal on the table than the one available as a member of the EU.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The following searchable table displays 200 of the most in-demand goods shipped from the United Kingdom during 2017. Shown beside each product label is its total export value then the percentage increase or decrease since 2016.

Show 102550100 entries
Search:
Rank UK Export Product 2017 Value (US$) Change
1 Cars $41.9 billion +2.7%
2 Turbo-jets $25.2 billion +29.9%
3 Medication mixes in dosage $20.4 billion -6.1%
4 Crude oil $19 billion +44.1%
5 Gold (unwrought) $17 billion +9.3%
6 Aircraft parts $16.1 billion +7.6%
7 Processed petroleum oils $11.3 billion +23.7%
8 Blood fractions (including antisera) $9.7 billion +11.5%
9 Alcohol (including spirits, liqueurs) $7.3 billion +3.5%
10 Automobile parts/accessories $6.6 billion +4.7%
Showing 1 to 10 of 200 entries

Happy, and as for origin, cars exported from the UK are classed as made in the EU, no doubt you will dispute that, and then try and claim that post brexit they will be made in the UK, ignoring the composition ruling.

From your own link 

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in UK global shipments during 2017. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from United Kingdom.

1. Machinery including computers: US$68 billion (15.3% of total exports)
  2. Vehicles: $53.7 billion (12.1%)

5 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I've never yet been asked to participate in a poll - apart from tories outside an election station after voting.

I declined to answer their question as to how I had voted.

Edit - I assume that I don't 'fit in' with any pollsters preferred 'targets'.

Absolutely nothing to do with "preferred targets". You have to be registered with YouGov and you get paid to do it, not a lot, takes me about 2 years to get £50.

Before you say anything I am not commenting on the validity of said polls.

3 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

From your own link 

The following export product groups represent the highest dollar value in UK global shipments during 2017. Also shown is the percentage share each export category represents in terms of overall exports from United Kingdom.

1. Machinery including computers: US$68 billion (15.3% of total exports)
  2. Vehicles: $53.7 billion (12.1%)

I  originally said "single export" and I have already said I used the top 200 figure, what exactly are you finding so difficult.