Thai banks ‘prepared’ amid warning of global ATM attack

webfact

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Thai banks ‘prepared’ amid warning of global ATM attack..."

I'd feel a lot better if the word 'prepared' didn't have the air quotes...

Like they are prepared for the flooding that happens on a yearly basis. Year in and year out...

3 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Don't you just love all the positive thinkers we are so fortunate to have in our midst.....how they manage to survive from day to day while seeing so much gloom and doom concerning everything Thai,.around them.....never ceases to amaze me.

In my opinion, being skeptical about Thailand's ability to handle basic security is not irrational at all...  giving Thailand the benefit of the doubt quite is.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

COMMERCIAL banks in Thailand have boosted security

Why was the security not already to the maximum level possible? 

This is total bs! They just need to give some message to assure the people. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He said Thai banks have recently tightened their control system to prevent unauthorised computer programs from entering the national ATM network, so it would be difficult to hack into the system.

The hackers most likely found an unknown breach in the system, which most likely is NOT known by the banks worldwide, let alone Thai banks! So above statement is again total bs!

• Like 1

Todays headlines. 

"...Thai banks ‘prepared’ amid warning of global ATM attack..."

Next weeks headline. 

"...Thai banks subject of

global ATM attack..."

Official comment. 

We were prepared...

1 hour ago, rwill said:

wait until there truly is a cashless society...

I'm not sure that this hack has anything to do with skimming cards, like they are mentioning.

A "conspiracy theorist" may say the banks are using this to cover up for funds "disappearing" from accounts and we do not/cannot or not allowed to tell why??  ? :smile:

Just an alternative view.

• Like 2

They  have upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 ,cracked version .

regards worgerordie

Perhaps Tesco Lotus will follow suit they are so dim some mornings early the Not Genuine Widows Warnings are left flashing Damed Embarrassing when Mrs says “LOTUT GOT SAME SAME YOU”..!.?[emoji86]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, topt said:
7 hours ago, webfact said:

He also pointed out that most ATM cards in Thailand have an embedded chip, so the risk is not that high. 

Is this actually true? Mine doesn't for one.......

My Kasikorn ATM cards both have one.   If it bothers you just go into the bank and ask for a new card.

9 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Yep, they are ready. They'll send you an SMS saying your account has been emptied.

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Ha...I don’t need to have my account hacked for that to happen.

Ditto...the GF sees to that regularly. :vampire:

• Haha 1

Just thinking what,  if this were to happen,  would be the impact on society of not having ATM's. available even for 72 hours ?

Also if these cyber criminals can disrupt the ATM systems globally it suggests that they could also disrupt credit/debit card payment systems.  At the same time maybe ? panic I suspect.

I am of an age and can remember no credit cards, no ATM's and to get cash,  other than your weekly/monthly pay which use to be paid in cash,  you had to go into a bank and withdraw cash.  What a pain in the bum that was given the banks didn't open very long during the week when you were working  and not at weekends.

So not exactly back to year zero but there are 2 generations who know nothing other than ATM's and credit cards.  Just a thought about "what if"

10 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Don't you just love all the positive thinkers we are so fortunate to have in our midst.....how they manage to survive from day to day while seeing so much gloom and doom concerning everything Thai,.around them.....never ceases to amaze me.

I wish them well. Well far from me.

8 hours ago, eggers said:

Agree, often wonder why do these negative minded people remain in Thailand??? Or, are they just taking the P***!!

Most anyone who does something in Thailand of any significance learns to grow negative. 

If your wealth allows you to avoid engagement with locals, or if you teach English or if you are effectively retired, you may have no reason to engage with locals and can enjoy your happy ignorance. 

Talk to a true expat earning upwards of THB 200-500K above and learn about how consequential people actually feel. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Most anyone who does something in Thailand of any significance learns to grow negative. 

If your wealth allows you to avoid engagement with locals, or if you teach English or if you are effectively retired, you may have no reason to engage with locals and can enjoy your happy ignorance. 

Talk to a true expat earning upwards of THB 200-500K above and learn about how consequential people actually feel. 

Huh, sounds like a lot of waffle!!

"consequential people" ???  

"...any significance learns to grow negative" if case, leave... why stay??

Where do you fit in??? 

Know plenty of positive people who don't fit any of your categories and enjoy life & are happy to be here!! 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2018 at 10:12 AM, dotpoom said:

Expressing a desire for improvement is doom and gloom?  Were you a supporter of the 2014 military coup (and all the lies told to the Thai people and the world ever since)? ? 

Challenging and challenging the status quo is what drives us forward to, hopefully, improvement.

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Expressing a desire for improvement is doom and gloom?  Were you a supporter of the 2014 military coup (and all the lies told to the Thai people and the world ever since)? ? 

Challenging and challenging the status quo is what drives us forward to, hopefully, improvement.

Not to mention that it is actually usually the selfish among us who don't care about incompetence that hurts real people. 

Incompetence doesn't exist in a vacuum. It hurts everyone. And, a person who doesn't care, perhaps doesn't care about Thailand or Thai people.

Thsts another view. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2018 at 8:50 AM, Shiver said:

Missus just got up and noticed my ATM on top of my phone.  "Why you go ATM you still have money from last week?".  "Because I don't trust banks not to mess up, and if for example the ATM's were to stop working for a few days, the person with 1000 baht is suddenly a rich person".

She wandered off muttering something, so I opened email and in mere seconds saw the headlines in the ThaiVisa email.  "See?  might never happen, but what does it cost to put a little aside as insurance?".

She retired back to bed because the farang never has anything relevant to say.  Thankless life.  At least the dog came to greet me and show appreciation for my being there.  Or he wants to go and do, dog duties..... I think it's because he knows it's smart to go to the ATM ?

Your dog can use the ATM? Very be careful!

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

Your dog can use the ATM? Very be careful!

Maybe I could train him(?) he's staying close to me as I write, as although he can't talk, he lives via his nose and can feel (yeah actual feelings... here... in Thailand).  He knows I might be out of his picture soon and is hanging on.  He just wants everyone to be happy and play team.  Human mum doesn't get it, and her cute little fluffy friend is no good to her right now and he can't compute that.

I know she cares about the dog more than me, but to see her ignore him also is a game ending event.  If we should split up I can see me going for custody of the dog (!! yeah that messed up).....and this is a woman that wants kids to fill her picket fenced house that I will buy her?  (I will buy the house to prove a point, but am entirely unconvinced she'll get the take home message....8 years, all good, I bring a friend home that she doesn't like and all is broken.  Battle tested relationship but ... only one way around, to test my mettle.  The other way it's as hard as noodles.. I have to laugh.  I brought home a friend - it should have been a girlfriend so that she would have a defensible position.

What's the Dylan line?
I'm too old to cry, but it hurts too much to laugh.

I guess Sunday is going to be a beer day.  Not proud of it, but at least there will be people who actually answer you when you say something, and that alone is a positive to climb back from.  Won't be the last time I'm down here...  Smoke me a kipper...  I'm going to have fun but I'll be back for breakfast.

Yeah right, Thai banking security my butt.

To give you a clue, if a hacker hacks my smartphone he would be able to transfer half a million baht which daily transfer limit to his or other bank accounts and I would be informed by emails. lol that is why I don't keep too much money in a Thai bank account.

18 hours ago, Different said:

Yeah right, Thai banking security my butt.

To give you a clue, if a hacker hacks my smartphone he would be able to transfer half a million baht which daily transfer limit to his or other bank accounts and I would be informed by emails. lol that is why I don't keep too much money in a Thai bank account.

And, we all can guess what will happen in that situation. 

Farang: my account was hacked and 500,000 Baht stolen. 

K. Nok Bank Manager: solly siiir. Your money 500,000 Baht gone na. Please change your password na kha. Sawatdee kha. 

• Haha 1