Even at 38 baht to the pound most retirees won’t and cannot leave Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, Naam said:

not strange but in context with your comment "large detached house" without any indication "how large" or your definition of "large".

Naam, two key point about my personal situation, which I have already mentioned twice, and actually override the consideration of the size of the house:

(1) both I and my partner work, though neither of us needs to (and neither of us is an insurance salesperson!), so we are not at home burning up a-cs during the day;

(2) my Thai partner prefers not to use the a-c in the main rooms for most of the year anyway, as she is used to the Thai climate, unlike most foreigners.

Have a good day, and enjoy the coffee!

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sitting in my living room now, window open, breeze blowing, no sweating.

Bedroom at night air-con set to 28c no sweating.

Electricity bill 1,500bht in the hottest months, usually down to 1,200bht in the winter.

Waaaaay cheaper than paying for my heating bills in the UK winter.

no so large detached house i assume? :smile:

9 minutes ago, Naam said:

no so large detached house i assume? :smile:

Only 3 bedrooms, probably not considered large by your standards.

Only 1 air-con in the master bedroom, on the occasional hot afternoon, I can have a few beers in the bedroom while watching TV.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Naam, two key point about my personal situation, which I have already mentioned twice, and actually override the consideration of the size of the house:

(1) both I and my partner work, though neither of us needs to (and neither of us is an insurance salesperson!), so we are not at home burning up a-cs during the day;

(2) my Thai partner prefers not to use the a-c in the main rooms for most of the year anyway, as she is used to the Thai climate, unlike most foreigners.

Have a good day, and enjoy the coffee!

A bad case of case repeatisus or blah blah as we know it locally!

Edited by simoh1490
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I use a bank product whereby I just make a fixed deposit for 9 years that draws an annual rate of 16% and the bank pays my electric bill for the rest of my life.

Mine gives green shield stamps too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2018 at 3:19 PM, Janner1 said:

I write here entirely without prejudice 

The pound is in fact a very strong currency however it is being manipulated by the greedy money mongers in London and in particular by the Bank of England who are all remainers and set a course of punishment for the leavers but their actions are in fact punishing everybody except the said bankers and money manipulators, (but then when do they ever lose)

The situation in England is such that unemployment is now down to just 4% and continuing to fall, order books are full for our products not because the pound is low but because if we leave the control of the EU extortionate costs and charges levied by Germany and Brussels will disappear..

It is on record that just 5 minutes after the result of the Brexit poll was announced most of the major economies across the world flooded the British government with requests for business deals.

The biggest problem facing Britain is that we have a remainer pretending to be a leaver stalling on Brexit in order to force us into another vote because no deal will have been done, and until such times as someone grow a pair of balls and tells this horrible bunch of thieves and thugs in Germany and Brussels exactly where to go Carneys carnage will continue to exact punishment on us all.

So why wasn't the world flooding th UK with trade deals before the EU membership? It must have been a  working man's paradise back then. Back then I was a skilled tradesman, it was awful so I escaped to Germany for decent living conditions, never been back, 50 years now, good riddance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

So why wasn't the world flooding th UK with trade deals before the EU membership? It must have been a  working man's paradise back then. Back then I was a skilled tradesman, it was awful so I escaped to Germany for decent living conditions, never been back, 50 years now, good riddance.

I am sure many of your birth place populous would be ...:clap2:....if they read that and very happy you buggered off.........:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And yet I had so many job offers in those days, I didn't know which one to choose.

I did enjoy the tv series about scouser bickies working in Germany though, and then Spain.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet 

Like today, plenty of jobs with lousy pay and unaffordable rents.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

I am sure many of your birth place populous would be ...:clap2:....if they read that and very happy you buggered off.........:thumbsup:

Several joined me from London, one even brought his scouse mate with him, they are now retired on a DECENT pension and are still there.

9 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Several joined me from London, one even brought his scouse mate with him, they are now retired on a DECENT pension and are still there.

So what...Did they say "good riddance" to their homeland, the land they forefathers fought to secure...?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Like today, plenty of jobs with lousy pay and unaffordable rents.

Remember the time in UK you mention, my UK working days were from 1958 to 2005 in and out of jobs and the work place was always up & down until Maggie came,  it took off for me then and went sour soon after she left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

And yet I had so many job offers in those days, I didn't know which one to choose.

I did enjoy the tv series about scouser bickies working in Germany though, and then Spain.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet 

It was bad up North for a long time and remember family at the time working, Holland, Germany and Arab states.

My UK industry was always up & down which took me abroad at times, that's where I made my money. the best years of working life for me in UK was only about 10 years.

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Even with the "combo" method, Bill?

I am also claiming for my wife as a carer which helps but this stops in 2020 I believe and goes to means tested.

It could be claimed in 2009 but was stopped in 2010.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Janner1 said:

I write here entirely without prejudice 

The pound is in fact a very strong currency however it is being manipulated by the greedy money mongers in London and in particular by the Bank of England who are all remainers and set a course of punishment for the leavers but their actions are in fact punishing everybody except the said bankers and money manipulators, (but then when do they ever lose)

The situation in England is such that unemployment is now down to just 4% and continuing to fall, order books are full for our products not because the pound is low but because if we leave the control of the EU extortionate costs and charges levied by Germany and Brussels will disappear..

It is on record that just 5 minutes after the result of the Brexit poll was announced most of the major economies across the world flooded the British government with requests for business deals.

rabugento1.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

People that do not impress themselves need to impress others.

In any event, the more they try, the less impressive they are...

Wow, all this bitterness from you guys was started by my making Sheryl aware of certain investment products in Thailand that actually provide for excellent health insurance. Sheryl seems to have taken it in the manner it was intended. But not you guys.

These products are open for a subscription period, like many investment products in the UK, not usually more than three months. Giving you the name of the products that I have subscribed to, apart from being none of your business, would not help you because the subscription periods have closed. However, products are opening all the time. I have been advised of 3 or 4 so far this year, all now closed for subscription.

And the point about my partner and myself working was simply to give naaaaaam some understanding of how having a big house with lots of air conditioners doesn't necessarily translate into a big electricity bill. For the obvious reason that when you are working you are not sitting at home burning electricity.

Have a good day y'all.

Wow, all this bitterness from you guys was started by my making Sheryl aware of certain investment products in Thailand that actually provide for excellent health insurance. Sheryl seems to have taken it in the manner it was intended. But not you guys.

These products are open for a subscription period, like many investment products in the UK, not usually more than three months. Giving you the name of the products that I have subscribed to, apart from being none of your business, would not help you because the subscription periods have closed. However, products are opening all the time. I have been advised of 3 or 4 so far this year, all now closed for subscription.

And the point about my partner and myself working was simply to give naaaaaam some understanding of how having a big house with lots of air conditioners doesn't necessarily translate into a big electricity bill. For the obvious reason that when you are working you are not sitting at home burning electricity.

Have a good day y'all.

Why assume people that don’t believe you are bitter? You think calling people names somehow gives you credibility?

You guys crack me up.

Have an incredibly wonderful day!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Have a good day y'all.

Nobody's being bitter, we're all simple taking the michael because you seem not to have caught on to the nature of the forum, or its posters, that's all.....plus, you say some funny stuff too.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Have a good day y'all.

No bitterness from me but still the question how much would a ballpark figure be, I'm with Thailife ins 32,000 per year and happy thanks and it is open for quotes, as you said your opportunistic type of approach to health care is not affordable for many retiree's, so it's not a lot of help.

8 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

If you want to bring your Thai Wife with you , then you will need to either show an income of around 18,500 a year for the last six months, more if you have children or 62k in the bank. FACT

I really don't know where you get your information from? Go over to the Visa section and have a look for yourself

If you have a wife and kids you need to meet financial obligations. If you are single you don't.