Possible to get real baguettes or other quality crusty daily baked bread in CM?

JimmyJ

On 9/7/2018 at 10:55 AM, silverhawk_usa said:

I saw a rather small, interesting, fresh bakery near the UN Irish Pub (same side of the road nearer the moat).  Didn't give it a try but you might want to check it out. 

Thanks for reminding me of this one.

I'd written them off in July when I went in and asked if they make cappuccino.

The waitress was seated studying her phone and barked something at me in Thai which I didn't understand.

When I asked what she'd said she annoyedly answered again in Thai and went back to her phone. Never got up. Great way to make a new customer.

She was pointing towards the pub garden  (do they have a cappuccino machine?).

The attitude had me avoid them till your post.

Went back and tried a few rolls. No crusty baguettes but it'll do for the minute till I find the real thing - been buying a few a day.

Their ciabatta rolls aren't bad ( a soft bread).

Have to start using Maps.me and start exploring the suggestions here.

Definitely would like to visit L'Opera among others.

Fresh baked bread is a mainstay of mine in the US - reads like I should be able to find a source here.

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

5 minutes ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Just to join in with a bit of banter. Why not move to Vietnam where the best french bread is available on every street corner. Or Vientiane where I have had the tastiest baguettes in SE Asia.

I was just in HCM City and Da Lat.

If you're referring to the bread used in Banh Mi , I'd call that 2nd rate.

Was hoping to find real baguettes and checked every bakery I passed but never saw what I wanted.

12 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I was just in HCM City and Da Lat.

If you're referring to the bread used in Banh Mi , I'd call that 2nd rate.

Was hoping to find real baguettes and checked every bakery I passed but never saw what I wanted.

Maybe, but better than almost any bread in Thailand, cheap and easy to find. Paris would be better. 

sir, i dont believe ive ever had bread without yeast in it...may want to try building your own bread oven somewhere

however the french bakery on the road south of chiang mai gate veer to the left at split its on your left is the closest thing ive found in chiang mai or thailand.

theres also a bakery if you go to patnip plaza and walk the big road towards the ping river its at the end of the road near the fancy hotel on your right side. cant remember the name. used to get baugettes there with jam and butter and a coffee. both these places baked by foreigners with real bread, not the fake asian stuff. have a coffee and bugette for me.

you crusty flake. they sell deodorant at the corner.

On 9/8/2018 at 5:11 PM, EL159 said:

Dull and crap compared to 2 years ago. L Opera is the only place in town.

I would agree that nana quality has gone down compared to 2 years ago.  Too bad it was really good before.  Now its nothing special and sometimes disappointing.  

On 9/7/2018 at 10:12 AM, JimmyJ said:

Real bread without sugar , dairy, fungicides, preservatives, daily baked, and with a crust, not a squishy loaf.

When I lived in CM , I ordered all my bread from a local woman who runs a bakery "CM Bread" from her home. Married to a European , she knows how to make it perfect.   

You can order from their Facebook page and fresh bread will be delivered to your home twice per week .   This is really the best bread I have ever found in Thailand and I have lived everywhere. 

My favorite is their sourdough bread. Here's some pictures.  

https://www.facebook.com/cmbread/

34904274_1713665975348500_48584414587697

35076969_1713667375348360_23361976132687

35026271_1713666948681736_56239572182200

35053473_1713674858680945_82477584559479

29 minutes ago, balo said:

When I lived in CM , I ordered all my bread from a local woman who runs a bakery "CM Bread" from her home. Married to a European , she knows how to make it perfect.   

You can order from their Facebook page and fresh bread will be delivered to your home twice per week .   This is really the best bread I have ever found in Thailand and I have lived everywhere. 

My favorite is their sourdough bread. Here's some pictures.  

https://www.facebook.com/cmbread/

34904274_1713665975348500_48584414587697

35076969_1713667375348360_23361976132687

35026271_1713666948681736_56239572182200

35053473_1713674858680945_82477584559479

Those look great.

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to L'Opera: 

Cappucino = Awful.

Food (based on one dish one time) = Worse than awful, based on taste, ingredients, price, culinary skills.

Regular baguette - 10 stars out of 10 (Highest rating).

Whole wheat baguette - 10 stars also.  (Possibly 9.5 or at worst 9).

How is the Farmer (I think that was the name) baguette?

It sounded like they described it as Sourdough?

I was surprised that the price was about 10 times the regular (white) baguette.

Will definitely be returning whenever I'm nearby (but only for bread).

Wish it was closer to me.

Thanks to the L'Opera fans for recommending it.

Also tried 1 Nana baguette and it is not in the same planet as L'Opera's.

5 stars maybe at best.

9 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Made it to L'Opera: 

Cappucino = Awful.

Food (based on one dish one time) = Worse than awful, based on taste, ingredients, price, culinary skills.

Regular baguette - 10 stars out of 10 (Highest rating).

Whole wheat baguette - 10 stars also.  (Possibly 9.5 or at worst 9).

How is the Farmer (I think that was the name) baguette?

It sounded like they described it as Sourdough?

I was surprised that the price was about 10 times the regular (white) baguette.

Will definitely be returning whenever I'm nearby (but only for bread).

Wish it was closer to me.

Thanks to the L'Opera fans for recommending it.

Also tried 1 Nana baguette and it is not in the same planet as L'Opera's.

5 stars maybe at best.

I never knew they had whole wheat baguettes or "farmer" baguettes there (and I've been going there 2-4 times a month for years now). The have 3 different size baguettes and one funny looking one with long skinny ends. I've never seen others. That's all I buy there with the exception of an occasional almond croissant (very good but greasy). My wife loves their bread too and sometimes she gets eclairs as well. Never thought of it as a place to dine.

You guys must be kidding. There is no comparison between Nana Bakery's bread and croissants to anything else in this city. I've had croissants and bread from Chiang Mai Bread and Dominique's and they're but pale imitators of Nana's offerings. I used to bake bread commercially long ago, specializing in sourdough rye and croissants, and IMO Nana's are the best you can get in Chiang Mai hands down. Their sourdough rye is pleasantly sour the crust is crusty, and has a taste to die for. My only complaint is that the crust is too crusty nd requires a bit of effeort to break through but once you do, get ready to eat the finest sourdough in Chiang Mai. Even mentioning BigC's lackluster croissants in the same sentence is sacrilege. Nana also has tarts, assorted mini-quiches, pizza, and all the other things you'd expect to find in a bakery. A plain croissant costs 13 baht, an almond or chocolate one, 19 baht.

My 2 (unbiased) cents

AlaskaDave

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, silverhawk_usa said:

I saw a rather small, interesting, fresh bakery near the UN Irish Pub (same side of the road nearer the moat).  Didn't give it a try but you might want to check it out. 

the bakery next to unirish pub is great,we got really good hamburger buns,saw some loaves of bread too,their small mince pies were the best we have got in Thailand.nice lady,speaks good english

On 9/26/2018 at 8:13 AM, AlaskaDave said:

You guys must be kidding. There is no comparison between Nana Bakery's bread and croissants to anything else in this city. I've had croissants and bread from Chiang Mai Bread and Dominique's and they're but pale imitators of Nana's offerings. I used to bake bread commercially long ago, specializing in sourdough rye and croissants, and IMO Nana's are the best you can get in Chiang Mai hands down. Their sourdough rye is pleasantly sour the crust is crusty, and has a taste to die for. My only complaint is that the crust is too crusty nd requires a bit of effeort to break through but once you do, get ready to eat the finest sourdough in Chiang Mai. Even mentioning BigC's lackluster croissants in the same sentence is sacrilege. Nana also has tarts, assorted mini-quiches, pizza, and all the other things you'd expect to find in a bakery. A plain croissant costs 13 baht, an almond or chocolate one, 19 baht.

My 2 (unbiased) cents

AlaskaDave

Nana was O.K. a while back, but there was some change recently (within the last year) and now it is not very good.

L'Opera is the best there is for authentic French bread. I don't buy croissants or eclairs (except an occasional almond croissant, or other bakery items so not interested in comparison).

On 9/26/2018 at 8:13 AM, AlaskaDave said:

My 2 (unbiased) cents

AlaskaDave

I stand firm with AlaskaDave.  Never tried the baguette actually but the walnut sourdough and raisin sourdough breads are extraordinary.  The croissants are dangerously good.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:26 AM, Denim said:

Our local Big C bakes them to order in 20 minutes and they are the best baguettes I have ever had from anywhere. Crusty on the outside but soft and warm on the inside.

Not sure if every Big C does them though as only ever seen them here.

Agree.  Big C extra on the Doi Saket road is the one I go to.  The French Sticks are really good.

Also get my bread loafs from Central Festival in the Topps supermarket.  They are a reasonable price and good in my opinion.

There are a few fancy bakery places around if you want something special... but these places are way overpriced in my opinion.  I don't eat much bread anyway these days, so most would go off before I ate it all lol.

Archived