Australia paper defends Serena Williams cartoon despite outrage

webfact

3 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

<deleted> is Alex Byrne, Glebe? Does his opinion override everyone else's? I don't expect an answer because I doubt if you know who he is. He just happens to agree with your point of view.

No.  He is just one of many I've posted here and are available on line and in the media from news organizations and educators and people who are concerned with race relations around the world. 

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Elon Musk Gets Sued for ‘Pedo’ Comment Directed at Diver Who Insulted His Child-Sized Metal Tubes

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/09/elon-musk-is-getting-sued-over-calling-diver-a-pedophile.html

Please read your link. He hasn't been sued, he may be getting sued and may, or may not, lose the lawsuit. Ergo, he hasn't suffered the consequences of spouting alternative facts and may never do so.

But thanks for your alternative fact anyway.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, there is actually a thread about that here on TV , which you could/should post that in 

I was answering a question that one of our posters was apparently not able to find on google or TV,  Spidey wrote, " He doesn't lie, he offers alternative facts. Nothing has happened to him for offering alternative facts. Please post link, if I'm wrong "

I posted the link so he would know he was wrong.  Is that OK?

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No.  He is just one of many I've posted here and are available on line and in the media from news organizations and educators and people who are concerned with race relations around the world. 

"Many" is a gross exaggeration. A few many times would be more accurate. Another alternative fact, I think.

Edited by Spidey
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Please read your link. He hasn't been sued, he may be getting sued and may, or may not, lose the lawsuit. Ergo, he hasn't suffered the consequences of spouting alternative facts and may never do so.

But thanks for your alternative fact anyway.

I said look at what happens when you lie.  He lied and is getting sued.  Tons of negative publicity and the cost of the lawsuit will be substantial.  He has suffered many consequences already and will suffer more and so he should for lying about the brave Brit.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

That is the nature of caricature drawings .

Over empahise of features 

This link explains a little about drawings, photos and caricatures.

https://www.proko.com/caricature-101-how-to-exaggerate/

Most people can read and understand it easily enough though marcusarelus will condemn it as racist.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Look what happened to Musk when he lied.

I said look at what happens when you lie.  He lied and is getting sued.  Tons of negative publicity and the cost of the lawsuit will be substantial.  He has suffered many consequences already and will suffer more and so he should for lying about the brave Brit.

Your first quote is all past tense. He may get sued but no lawsuit has been issued yet. Ergo. It hasn't "happened".

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The overwhelming response to the racist cartoon was one of outrage.  You can google that. 

It really wasnt , some people were offended/outraged , some others were not offended/outraged .

As there has been no survey of peoples opinions , no one can say what the opinion of the majority is .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

It really wasnt , some people were offended/outraged , some others were not offended/outraged .

As there has been no survey of peoples opinions , no one can say what the opinion of the majority is .

It was an impression underscored by foreign outrage about an Australian cartoonist's depiction of a fat-lipped and masculine Williams, and the collective shrug it prompted Down Under.

After the drawing was published, a CNN opinion piece described Australia as "the nicest racist country you will ever see" and the New York Times thundered that "Australia has never fully confronted its own history of racism." Many Australians admit there is a problem.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/serena-cartoon-fuels-debate-about-racist-australia

I think you can safely assume that outside of Australia in the non racist community the cartoon was deemed horrible. 

12 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The overwhelming response to the racist cartoon was one of outrage.  You can google that. 

I can almost guarantee that the overwhelming response is "couldn't care less" but then what tabloid is going to print that? How can we find out for sure? The same people would look at a survey and couldn't be bothered answering.

Just now, AboutThaim said:

I can almost guarantee that the overwhelming response is "couldn't care less" but then what tabloid is going to print that? How can we find out for sure? The same people would look at a survey and couldn't be bothered answering.

The problem was not so much the cartoon but the defense of the cartoon that tripped everyone trigger outside of Australia. 

Not my fault your education system failed. 

Elitist bigot. And believe me, your education system has failed you badly. I could quote many examples but I'm not a spelling/grammar Nazi.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

It was an impression underscored by foreign outrage about an Australian cartoonist's depiction of a fat-lipped and masculine Williams, and the collective shrug it prompted Down Under.

After the drawing was published, a CNN opinion piece described Australia as "the nicest racist country you will ever see" and the New York Times thundered that "Australia has never fully confronted its own history of racism." Many Australians admit there is a problem.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/serena-cartoon-fuels-debate-about-racist-australia

I think you can safely assume that outside of Australia in the non racist community the cartoon was deemed horrible. 

You are stating that anyone who didnt find the cartoon to be racist , IS a racist .

I do think that everyone should be treated the same .

I think that ALL people should either have caricatures made of them or ALL of them shouldnt .

You are saying that people should be treated differently according to their race .

Some people should have caricatures made of them and some shouldnt , depending on their race .

Treating people differently depending on their race , IS the definition of racism .

Your opinion is racist , although some will call it "positive racism"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Elitist bigot. And believe me, your education system has failed you badly. I could quote many examples but I'm not a spelling/grammar Nazi.

The question was, " Who are a "protected minority" and why are they "protected" and in which way"  Do you honestly think that is a question any person with more than an 8th grade education would not know the answer to?

3 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

Everyone outside of Australia?

You have been busy, you polled the world!! Except Australia?

The media I have been linking did many times.  The big question they were trying to answer is why does Australia have a different opinion about this than the rest of the world. 

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

You are stating that anyone who didn't find the cartoon to be racist , IS a racist .

I do think that everyone should be treated the same .

I think that ALL people should either have caricatures made of them or ALL of them shouldnt .

You are saying that people should be treated differently according to their race .

Some people should have caricatures made of them and some shouldnt , depending on their race .

Treating people differently depending on their race , IS the definition of racism .

Your opinion is racist , although some will call it "positive racism"

No, not positive racism.   It is called Affirmative action, also known as reservation in India and Nepal, positive action in the UK, and employment equity (in a narrower context) in Canada and South Africa, is the policy of promoting the education and employment of members of groups that are known to have previously suffered from discrimination. Historically and internationally, support for affirmative action has sought to achieve goals such as bridging inequalities in employment and pay, increasing access to education, promoting diversity, and redressing apparent past wrongs, harms, or hindrances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirmative_action

This is stuff that most schools cover in early grades.

Edited by marcusarelus

The question was, " Who are a "protected minority" and why are they "protected" and in which way"  Do you honestly think that is a question any person with more than an 8th grade education would not know the answer to?

The concept of "protected minority" didn't exist in my school days. Doubt that it does now, in the UK.

Wholly inappropriate to belittle someone for not being aware of a concept that isn't universally recognised.

18 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The problem was not so much the cartoon but the defense of the cartoon that tripped everyone trigger outside of Australia. 

I wish you could understand and comprehend the English language.

Everyone's trigger was NOT tripped outside of Australia.

Does your comment mean every single person in the world including the billions in China and India and the hundreds of millions of people in the other 1xx countries of the world?

Or just a few thousands of people who think like you?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/everyone

pronoun

every person; everybody.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/everyone

When everyone is a subject, it is used with a singular verb.

In formal writing, a pronoun or possessive adjective that refers to everyone is usually singular:

Edited by billd766
my computer has a sstutttter
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I was asking for your personal opinion , rather than what you learnt in school .

Your "personal opinion" seems to be based on what others think and say

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I was asking for your personal opinion , rather than what you learnt in school .

Your "personal opinion" seems to be based on what others think and say

No you weren't.  You asked " Who are a "protected minority" and why are they "protected" and in which way"  

What I think about is irrelevant.  The law determines whom a protected minority is and why and how they are protected not my opinion.