Drawing Funds from from my overseas account at local Thai ATM

Try another bank’s ATM machine, eg, BBL generally allows 25K per transaction and Krungsri 30K. Some others are capped at lower withdrawal amounts.

Another alternative to try is the Citibank ATMs in Interchange 21 at Asoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

10 minutes ago, YayaManos said:

My card is issued by Citibank, from Singapore and previous trips I have not encountered this issue. Checked with my bank, my funds, credit and ATM card are in good standing.

What amounts (per transaction) did you withdraw in previous trips?

I don't know of any Thai bank whose ATMs are limited to 10K baht per withdrawal -- unless a particular machine is low on bills and thus limits the amount temporarily, which can happen rarely. Pretty much all of the major bank Thai bank ATMs will normally dispense between 20 and 30K per withdrawal -- assuming the card being used allows it.

More than likely, it's a restriction on the card-issuing bank. OP should check with his bank as to his daily ATM withdrawal limit, and whether that's separate or combined with other uses of the card, such as purchases.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't know of any Thai bank whose ATMs are limited to 10K baht per withdrawal -- unless a particular machine is low on bills and thus limits the amount temporarily,

Many have a maximum dispense of 20 bills, 20 x 500 Baht is 10k. What's the bet it had run out of 1k bills.

The limit could be your home country card-issuing bank or the ATM you used.   Or it could just be an ATM low on cash or set for a lower limit since it a high use ATM and the bank don't want it to run out of cash too quickly.

But unless the Thai ATM is low on cash or has been set to limit withdrawals since it's a high use ATM (the bank don't want it run out too soon), Thai bank ATM max withdrawals are generally 30K, 25K, or 20K.  Like Krungsri and TMB are 30K....Bangkok Bank 25K....etc.  

Normally if the limit is set by the local ATM when you first start the withdrawal process the screen will say the max withdrawal ix X-amount/X-amount of notes.  However, if it was you card-issuing bank setting the limit and say the ATM said 30K was the max allowed and you selected 30K, but your card issuing bank only allowed 10K, the rejection would not occur until you pressed the final button to spit out the cash but instead get an error message.

IF you have a THAI BANK ACCOUNT, go INSIDE YOUR bank and transfer directly to your account.  I transfer usually 25 to 30 thousand every 2 to 3 weeks.  My last transfer (25,000thb )cost was $2.35  .. I use XE currency converter to check the exchange rate, then compare with my US bank withdraw cost.

I have only once had an ATM with a max limit of 10-12k and that was at DM airport.. Same 220bht fee.. I figured that with higher rent there that they limited the max withdrawal amount but still charged the same fee.. 

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And: how did you find out that the limit is 10k?

E.g.

Trying the 20k button, fail.

Then trying 10k button, success?

Or did you try free entering of amount (19000, 18000, ...)?

tried free entering first, it failed, tried on several other banks ATM the same situation. fast cash failed on 20k, was cleared on 10k. Did not try e.g 19k 

14 minutes ago, YayaManos said:

tried free entering first, it failed, tried on several other banks ATM the same situation. fast cash failed on 20k, was cleared on 10k. Did not try e.g 19k 

That sounds like the card was setting limit - I know years ago when I used card there was a 10k limit imposed if they could not contact issuing bank for account balance.  Do not know if this is still the case or not.  As mentioned earlier most ATM's can only dispense 20 or 25 bills so if only 500 baht bills available would limit to 10k or 12.5k.

20 minutes ago, YayaManos said:

It's a limitation being set by your home country card-issuing bank.  I know you said you have got higher amounts before but things can change.   If you do not know the transaction limits of your card, then you need to contact your card issuing bank and find out.   They may have lowered your limit?   They may have one limit for withdrawals within the home country and another for outside your home country.   Contact your card-issuing bank.

As Crossy the moderator indicate in his post and get use to it but it doesn't happen often unless the banks are closed for a lengthy holiday or in a heavy traffic located.  The reason the ATM is low in cash thus it starts to dispense less I gotten messages as low as 2000 baht only.

It can be a bit scary because the first thing that cross your mind is my account got hacked or something?  As noted try another machine to make sure. I found this out at Bangkok Bank branch years ago when the manager told me just use the other one.  There might be other reasons but the machines aren't setup to specify exactly what the problem might be on the screen.

As for ATM, the best rate and cheapest is Aeon Bank (150baht) if you can find one and when you do just plan your schedule to visit 

Cards especially from the U.S. are general set at 500.00 USD so if you need more while oversea you let to check with you bank before leaving and make the adjustment if necessary.

Most cards when using Thai ATM the issuer goes directly to the International rate but if you have cards like the ones issue to me which I use mostly are from my Credit Union when using them for example Bangkok Bank, the screen after you accept the 220 baht will give you a breakdown of the feels along with the exchange rate they are going to give you. If you see this message whatever you do " DON'T PUSH THE YES BOTTON " PUSH NO THAT WILL GIVE YOU THE BEST INTERNATIONAL RATE!  For example if the International rate is 33.00,  a ATM like Aeon might give you a International rate of 32.65. plus the 150 baht vs Bangkok Bank will give you a breakdown with a rate 31.90, not only are they getting you on 220 baht for the withdraw they are giving you a much lower rate hitting you double in the pocket book.  If you push NO, you will get a much better rate closer to the International rate.

Good luck

Hi, do check out WETRANSFER > https://transferwise.com

For transfering money from abroad to a thai bank-account Transferwise is as good as always the best option.  They use the official mid-transfer rate (the mid-rate between selling/bying) and charge only a modest fee for their service.  Money transfered is normally next day or day after already on the thai bank-account, and Transferwise is very transparent and informs you of every step/stage in the transfer process.  Also you can 'play' the exchange rates and transfer when the exchange rate is best > so no surprises nor hidden costs - you know exactly the amount in THB that will be received.

NEW > In case you do not have a thai bank-account, Transferwise now also issues a FREE debit-card.  You transfer money from your bank-account to that debitcard bank-account in THB (or any other foreign currency for that matter) at same unbeatable mid-transfer rate, and with that debit-card you can withdraw those THB at any Thai ATM.

On 10/31/2018 at 4:19 PM, Peter Denis said:

Hi, do check out WETRANSFER > https://transferwise.com

For transfering money from abroad to a thai bank-account Transferwise is as good as always the best option.  They use the official mid-transfer rate (the mid-rate between selling/bying) and charge only a modest fee for their service.  Money transfered is normally next day or day after already on the thai bank-account, and Transferwise is very transparent and informs you of every step/stage in the transfer process.  Also you can 'play' the exchange rates and transfer when the exchange rate is best > so no surprises nor hidden costs - you know exactly the amount in THB that will be received.

NEW > In case you do not have a thai bank-account, Transferwise now also issues a FREE debit-card.  You transfer money from your bank-account to that debitcard bank-account in THB (or any other foreign currency for that matter) at same unbeatable mid-transfer rate, and with that debit-card you can withdraw those THB at any Thai ATM.

I think i read their debit card had a £200 a month limit, the its 2%. This still must be a lot better than you get from a bank. I'm here for 6 months and bought enough cash for 2 which has now gone, i'm dreading using the atm as barclays charge about the same as the atm provider plus the exchange rate which is set by visa. Not sure it would be worth using transferwise for 4 months though. Its a bullet i just have too bite.

2 hours ago, changmaichillin said:

I think i read their debit card had a £200 a month limit, the its 2%. This still must be a lot better than you get from a bank. I'm here for 6 months and bought enough cash for 2 which has now gone, i'm dreading using the atm as barclays charge about the same as the atm provider plus the exchange rate which is set by visa. Not sure it would be worth using transferwise for 4 months though. Its a bullet i just have too bite.

You just didn't plan properly.

There are a plethora of cards you can use in order to mitigate losses.

Usually the premier option is to use Halifax Clarity or Barclaycard Platinum Travel to withdraw cash over the counter at a suitable bank in order to avoid fees. The daily limit is £500 at ATM, though the Clarity may allow more over the counter.

If for some reason that doesn't work for you, then there is still the likes of https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ debit card which allows £300 per day and levies no charges.

But if you are already with Barclays, their Platinum Travel would be a good option for you.

No fees at all and no interest on ATM withdrawals as long as you pay off the full statement balance, until 31 August 2022.

If yours is a Barclaycard debit card with a £300 per day limit, then expect a 2.75% forex charge and a £1.50 ATM withdrawal fee.

So if you could withdraw the whole £300 from an ATM, then expect costs of £8.25(forex fee) + £1.50(card charge) + £5.17(220 baht). £14.92 for a £300 ATM withdrawal. Approx. 5%.

With Starling Bank/Loot.io debit etc the total cost would be the 220 baht(£5.17) 1.723%

You can apply for Starling or Loot.io via your Smartphone/PC, block the card via the App and then get someone to stick it in the post for you

Similarly with the Clarity or Platinum Travel, as you would likely need to activate the card before use anyway. so should be safe for a family member/friend to stick it in the post for you.

You should have done it a while ago, so that it was ready for now. Now perhaps up to a couple of weeks, including the time it takes for them to send the card to a UK address and a friend/family member to get it to you by registered mail.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:27 PM, JamJar said:

You just didn't plan properly.

There are a plethora of cards you can use in order to mitigate losses.

Usually the premier option is to use Halifax Clarity or Barclaycard Platinum Travel to withdraw cash over the counter at a suitable bank in order to avoid fees. The daily limit is £500 at ATM, though the Clarity may allow more over the counter.

If for some reason that doesn't work for you, then there is still the likes of https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ debit card which allows £300 per day and levies no charges.

But if you are already with Barclays, their Platinum Travel would be a good option for you.

No fees at all and no interest on ATM withdrawals as long as you pay off the full statement balance, until 31 August 2022.

Thanks for the advice. Really should have sorted it out before coming, oh well you live and learn.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:47 PM, JamJar said:

You can apply for Starling or Loot.io via your Smartphone/PC, block the card via the App and then get someone to stick it in the post for you

Similarly with the Clarity or Platinum Travel, as you would likely need to activate the card before use anyway. so should be safe for a family member/friend to stick it in the post for you.

You should have done it a while ago, so that it was ready for now. Now perhaps up to a couple of weeks, including the time it takes for them to send the card to a UK address and a friend/family member to get it to you by registered mail.

Thanks for the advice, i've learnt a painful lesson as my bank did charge those fees. 

Archived