Thailand’s English proficiency is getting worse: study

rooster59

18 minutes ago, balo said:

Some of the girls working in bars/restaurants in soi Bua Kaow , Pattaya speaks with a cockney accent. 

coupla places I have observed The Patter with Motherwell flavor, jocks make an impression on Patts

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

I got the exact same scenareo with my misses, she always says "but day spik inglish soo gooood" and Im like "yea but they cant understand a word Im saying".  Their comprehension and grasping ability is next to non existant.  So before I go out I verse the misses with Google Translate,  Google pics, a book of ABC's crayon drawings and finger puppets.  Eventually she gets it and it saves me hours dealing with shop assistants.

And 'I'm like yea' confuses me let alone a Thai student and mis-spelling of common words is inexcusable. 

2 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

And 'I'm like yea' confuses me let alone a Thai student and mis-spelling of common words is inexcusable. 

sounds like you easily get confused and this isnt a spelling bee, deal with it fatboy

My five year old Thai granddaughter speaks quite a bit of English, including saying the complete alphabet without hesitation.

Other things she says are very clear with good pronunciation.

She goes to a normal school near Lopburi, so perhaps there are little pockets of hope.

I just want to live a few years longer to see her grow up. For illness reasons I have only been able to see her twice so far this year.

Edited by monspencer
wrong punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

My daughter born in the UK, speaks excellent English and Thai, 1st-year grade 7 MEP. get 3rd place in English. Go figure that, Senior police officer and senior government kids get 1st and 2nd! Between them, they can't string a complete sentence. Had to write a letter, this year she made 4th overall in the school! but, got a 2.4 (4) for Chinese......best she can do is say hello in Chinese. So we have talked about her joining the British army at Harrogate end of next year. I want her to have a good future but learn her trade back home in the UK without having to worry about finances.

Edited by phetpeter

10 minutes ago, monspencer said:

My five year old Thai granddaughter, speaks quite a bit of English, including saying the complete alphabet without hesitation.

Other things she says are very clear with good pronunciation.

She goes to a normal school near Lopburi, so perhaps there are little pockets of hope.

I just want to live a few years longer to see her grow up. For illness reasons I have only been able to see her twice so far this year.

Hope you get your wish there monspencer.

My daughter is in G3. She is eight and the best English student in her class. A few weeks ago she brought home a list of words that had to learnt for the next day's test. One of the words was; veterinarian.

She had a go at it next day and got it wrong (as with all the others).

What is the thinking here? These kids can't say a sentence. And as for the word 'veterinarian', i don't think I've ever used it in writing or conversation (well I have now).

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I see only 9 African countries. What about Kenya, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Botswana? Their English proficiency must be quite decent given their past history? 

I cannot comment on the rest, but Kenyan people as a whole speak fairly decent English

I learned something new about their English dealing with a delivery courier TNT in March and April.  Those who could lack Comprehension of the language they couldn't even understand the difference what was printed that refer to Copy/Original.

If you question them now it becomes losing face stuff they become defensive as you are the bad guy. This all falls into " this is Thailand stuff " they will tell you they comprehend so they don't have to hear it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Exactly. And who expects a country where one almost never sees Thais, especially educated ones, interacting with non Thais to have a high foreign language proficiency. 

In my few decades in Thailand, I always marveled at how self segregating they are. Even within multinational companies, one almost never sees Thais mixing with foreigners. 

Absolute nonsense

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Absolute nonsense

There are 18 people in the company I work for - five farangs and 13 Thais. The shortest time anyone has been with the company is four years. Six of the Thai staff have been with us more than 15 years. And yet every Christmas party, the Thais all separate out and sit in a group together, away from us farangs. I can only imagine this is instinctive and thus happens everywhere to a greater or lesser degree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

My adopted Thai son teaches Advanced Thai.  At a school seminar he introduced me to the Thai woman who taught English.  He informed her that I had a Master's in English Composition & Creative Writing.  She said she also had a Master's in English.  For the next 5 minutes I struggled to understand anything she was saying. 

A somewhat light-hearted post.

A similar thing at my Daughters first school. It was a Catholic school but the nuns didn't teach. One day she brought home a letter from 'the school' in Thai. My wife read it and told me the good news. Mildred (daughter) has been selected for a special English class. The class ran from 3 to 4 in the afternoon. Now school finished at 3 but the bus didn't pick up to 4. So why not!? Only 500 Bhat a month. The misses was all for it. So the following day we went to the school to sort thing out.

I was parking the pick-up and the misses got out to gather info'. There were two ladies in conversation with the misses. I walked over and got a couple of wais. I spoke to one of the ladies; "who is going to teach English between 3 and 4?" They couldn't understand so Mrs Owl translated my question. They spoke back. The misses turned to me and said - wait for it - "they are."

Now I can see the humour in it but not at the time. These two English teachers could neither speak nor understand English. I've no idea who took up the offer.

Mildred was moved to another school at the earliest opportunity. And with my input she's doing OK.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I see only 9 African countries. What about Kenya, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Botswana? Their English proficiency must be quite decent given their past history? 

There is something suspicious about African nation rankings and the lack thereof.

In Liberia English is maintained as the most prominent language in the country. English serves as the official Liberian language. https://www.alsintl.com/resources/languages/Liberian/

In Kenya the two official languages English and Swahili are used in varying degrees of fluency for communication with other Kenyan populations. English is widely spoken in commerce, schooling and government. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Kenya

Maybe those "shi* hole" countries in Africa can't be recognized as having English-speaking populations?

Its no surprises that education continues to slip backward, its not only English. Even basic subjects such as math, Thais have been dropping down the index. It goes to show no government have made any improvements in the education sector. Ironically the education ministry also has one of the highest budgets, its all squandered on useless and over price stuff.