• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

26 minutes ago, champers said:

Pep must take the lion's share of the blame. Starts with 3 centre backs and 2 defensive midfield players; he is 2 creative players short. He could have any 2 in from 4 sat on the bench. He then waits an hour to change things - bizarre. Two big individual errors compounded matters.

If you lose 9 times in the EPL something is not right and it has impacted in cup matches where there is less margin for error. Just a League Cup is a poor return from all the talent available and money spent.

He should have had David Silva on, or Foden, much earlier. Why he brought on Mahrez instead of Spanish Dave was a mystery to me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, champers said:

Pep must take the lion's share of the blame. Starts with 3 centre backs and 2 defensive midfield players; he is 2 creative players short. He could have any 2 in from 4 sat on the bench. He then waits an hour to change things - bizarre. Two big individual errors compounded matters.

If you lose 9 times in the EPL something is not right and it has impacted in cup matches where there is less margin for error. Just a League Cup is a poor return from all the talent available and money spent.

Pretty much agree with all of that. The only addition I would add is that Pep can't really be blamed for Jesus missing a golden opportunity and Sterling missing an open goal absolute sitter. That lies solely at the players door

• Like 1

9 hours ago, champers said:

I'd agree with most of that. Pep definitely got his tactics and starting 11 wrong, and it had a huge effect on us for first 35 minutes, but in the end it's the players who must share their part of the blame. 

For the first 35 minutes Lyon were excellent and we were very much 2nd best. Second 45 minutes, until their second goal, we got it together and dominated. After KdB scored I thought we were well on top, now playing our usual game and we'd go on to win it. In the end undone by a controversial 2nd Lyon goal, Sterling's awful miss, and Ederson's cockup.

That’s football, fine margins. Extremely well done Lyon.

Bring on next season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

It’s a shame as Sterling was excellent up to that point. That miss will haunt him forever. 

Seemed just a matter of time once you levelled but as is often the case you still looked vulnerable at the back to a counter. 

Clear trip for the build up for the goal. What VAR is looking at god only knows. 

Lyon were well organised but some of there diving and play acting was a joke. 

Only Pep can explain that starting line up. You had the ammo to blow them away but for some strange reason he wanted to give them far too much respect especially in light of previous results. Very odd. 

Yep only Pep will know why it was necessary to line up in a matching back3 format as Lyon, but it left us weak up front with only Cancelo making things happen. He got it right both games against Real when 3 time winner ZZ got it wrong, but he got it wrong here.

Of our 3 CBs I think only young Garcia came out of it unblemished.

Pep's first SUBS for me should have been Silva for Gundog and Foden for Dinho; he brought on Mahrez who was so so.

Pep always talks about you have to do it in both boxes, we didn't when it mattered, Lyon did, we are out.

Now get that rightsided CB we've needed for a while signed up, move on Otamendi, probably Zinchenko, and add another 2 signings and let's go again.

Pep now has to decide is he leaving next summer or signing on for more, that needs sorting more than anything.

• Like 1

Re: the Sterling miss. I thought it was a bobble initially, but looked at it now and he just leant back.

Feel a bit sorry for him. Got no hate for Sterling. I think the way he's improved as a player and blocking out all that stick from brainless England fans is impressive. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Yep only Pep will know why it was necessary to line up in a matching back3 format as Lyon, but it left us weak up front with only Cancelo making things happen. He got it right both games against Real when 3 time winner ZZ got it wrong, but he got it wrong here.

Of our 3 CBs I think only young Garcia came out of it unblemished.

Pep's first SUBS for me should have been Silva for Gundog and Foden for Dinho; he brought on Mahrez who was so so.

Pep always talks about you have to do it in both boxes, we didn't when it mattered, Lyon did, we are out.

Now get that rightsided CB we've needed for a while signed up, move on Otamendi, probably Zinchenko, and add another 2 signings and let's go again.

Pep now has to decide is he leaving next summer or signing on for more, that needs sorting more than anything.

I would think there is more chance of him staying than before tbh. 

He wont want to leave like that imo. He will know deep down he <deleted> up and will want to put

it right. 

Edited by Kadilo

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Re: the Sterling miss. I thought it was a bobble initially, but looked at it now and he just leant back.

Feel a bit sorry for him. Got no hate for Sterling. I think the way he's improved as a player and blocking out all that stick from brainless England fans is impressive. 

We all know Sterling does that from time to time, he's  not the most natural striker of the ball and he's no Aguero or KdB in front of goal, BUT HE NEVER EVER HIDES and just keeps on going which I love about him, 31 goals in 52 games this season is proof of that. He'll be alright.

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I would think there is more chance of him staying than before tbh. 

He wont want to leave like that imo. He will know deep down he <deleted> up and will want to put

it right. 

I tend to agree, and I think he genuinely loves working at City, and managing in the Premier, and i think he gets more privacy in Manchester than he's had anywhere else which he likes, BUT, it can't be easy and must be a big factor in his eventual decision to stay or go that he and his boys live in Manchester and wife and daughter live in Barcelona due to her business. 

I hope WE are right Kadilo!

So many surprises in the quarter finals, I think its got to do with tiredness in some clubs after a long season.  German and French clubs seem to be in better shape.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Pretty much agree with all of that. The only addition I would add is that Pep can't really be blamed for Jesus missing a golden opportunity and Sterling missing an open goal absolute sitter. That lies solely at the players door

All true, and also points to the importance of one Sergio Aguero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

So many surprises in the quarter finals, I think its got to do with tiredness in some clubs after a long season.  German and French clubs seem to be in better shape.  

It sure looked that way.